OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pics wanted of your custom camo paintjobs...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pics wanted of your custom camo paintjobs...
    Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:33
Looking for custom/done yourself camo paint jobs on your rifles. Please post up what you have.

Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:39
If you want to spend some money ,time and a lot of effort try this site,Pre cut patterns.
(I'm trying to give you ideas.)
I'm classic shag nasty type.
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 20:50
Although I intended for this to be a more of "show off your paintjob" thread, I am using it for myself to get ideas, so thanks.

This is kind of the style I am leaning towards right now. I think I will probably go with a black background and a green overtop instead of this particular khaki.

One other question I had though for those that have done this. Is it neccisary to buy a primer to paint on a synthetic stock if you are using Krylon paints? Or to the krylon paints go on to the synthetic stock out of the box?
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 20:55
Use a plastic primer then your go to go with any top coat
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 14:48
My Latest....

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 15:56
That's damn nice Tray
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 16:43
Originally posted by Trays 7940 Trays 7940 wrote:

My Latest....

Purty!!!  Did you do the camo yourself or have it done by someone else?

Is that DuraCoat?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 17:04
Hopefully ccoker (Charles) will see this thread and post some pics. IMHO, He's got the "custom/done yourself camo paint jobs" nailed!!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 21:00
My .260
vietboy1st View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vietboy1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 21:35
i have a question. what kind of paint do you guys do ? and how many coats ?
  What do you do for first coat , second and final ?
 I used camouflage paint got it from home depot. It didn't stick pretty well after 3 months of use. -_-"
I live to die another day
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 23:58
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Hopefully ccoker (Charles) will see this thread and post some pics. IMHO, He's got the "custom/done yourself camo paint jobs" nailed!!!  Thunbs Up

He does indeed!  He's a master with a spray can!  An artist!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 03:49
I haven't got anything to add but i'd love to post a few pictures from other places that I like...
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 09:33
For those that are having issues with the paint jobs they did themselves, is it because you didn't put a clear coat on top of the paint?

When I do this, I am planning on putting on a clear coat, and I am hoping that will eliminate all the scratches and ships everyone has problems with.

Essentially, spray paint is going to be a very thin coat, and it would be obvious that contact with another rough surface would easily scratch off some paint.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vietboy1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 11:58

yes i tried to ask for a clear coat of paint. they have no idea what that is. So i asked for a final coat paint, then they showed me some lousy color spray paint which i didn't need.

CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 12:23
You can buy spray cans of clear coat and do it yourself. Thats what I plan on doing.

They come in "Matte" finish as well, so they won't be glossy.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vietboy1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 12:29
roger that. beause so far i have a green as prime coat then the black one for as second coat then i will use the clear coat as for protective coat. Thanks.  What the brand for the clear coat anyway ?
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:04
I'm going with a Krylon matte clear coat. This is after first I have alcohol swabbed the rifle down, applied a good primer, and gave it adequate time to dry before applying the Krylon camo paint, and more adequate drying time again before applying the Krylon clear coat.

My hope is this will be durable enough to withstand some contact with rough surfaces and not break through the clear coat and scratch off some of the paint. Unless anyone else on here has personal experience, only time will tell.

For what its worth, I plan on applying a few coats of the clear.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:17
If you are concerned about durability, get the DuraCoat finishes from Lauer Weaponry.  They sell "do it yourself" camo kits.  DuraCoat was designed for firearms use, and is way more durable than anything you can buy in a can at Home Depot.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
Ted

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 13:27
CALL911 , I PM'ed ccoker a little while ago... it might be worth it to wait until he chimes in.

Ted, nice link!!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2010 at 14:08
The Duracoat stuff looks like it will work well, but honestly, it seems that it is essentially the same process as applying your own top protective coat. It's just that their actual paint is much more durable. After their paint (with hardener) and top coat, it seems that you'll have about $30 before shipping (and it seems that would be just the basics).

Mike, who is cooker, and what has he done?
What I am doing with priming, painting 2 different colors and applying a clear coat cost me all together about $12.

$30 is not much, and if it were a big deal it would be wise to spend it. However I am trying to do it really cheep, and seeing how it will turn out. If it indeed doesn't last, I can always take the paint off and try the duracoat process.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic