OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Witch is the better scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Witch is the better scope
    Posted: March/14/2010 at 16:01

Witch is the better scope, Nikon Team Primos, Zeiss Conquest, or the Vortex Vipers? I've heard good things about all of them, but am leaning towards the Zeiss, I've just never looked through a Monarch, or a Viper, and would like some openions from those who have experience with all three of them. Don't care about the price point on them, just witch has the best glass.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 16:02
Zeiss
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 16:07
Which witch scope are you talking about the good one or the wicked one? If it's the wicked one is it the the East or the West?
Sorry couldn't resist.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 16:17
Haha, that's a good one, I'm an a$$.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 16:20
I'd have to agree.......... with the Zeiss recommendation.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 16:55

Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:22
There is no doubt that your choice should be Zeiss.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 08:01
Gotta agree... Zeiss!
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 08:17
The Zeiss 3-9 for $399 is a great scope at a great price.  Just my 2 sheckels.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 08:20
The Viper may have a slight edge over the Nikon Team Primos as a better scope.The Best glass is Zeiss...Made in Germany assembled in the USA! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 09:13
the zeiss, but not by a huge amount, throw the 4200 elite in there as well cause they are all that close.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 23:29
Zeiss hands down
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 00:20
Conquest... Although the others (including the 4200) are certainly very good scopes for the coinage. You are getting marginally better glass with the Conquest, but there is no durablility advantage there. Good glass costs, so the Conquest is certainly worth the added coin.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 10:34
ZEISS   great reticle for low light and 4" of eye relief!!!!
take em!
Xlr8n View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xlr8n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 10:56
If the BDC retical isn't a con for you, then personally I'd go with the Nikon for half the price as the Zeiss- $200 vs. $400 (not to mention the free jacket with the Nikon)
The Nikon has a lifetime transferrable warranty. 

The Zeiss might be 10% better optically over the Nikon, but certainly not 100% like the price would reflect.
I guess it all depends on how much spending an extra $200 means to each individual person.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 11:21
Of the 3, Zeiss is the best glass.

As stated previously, it is slightly better.

If price is no real concern, there are scopes will appreciably better glass - but you pay significantly for it.

Of the 3 listed, I'd buy the Conquest, better color and contrast, better low light performance.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 11:36
I think the Conquest is the better scope as well, but it depends on how you define "better."  If you are talking about purely optics, no question the Conquest is the best, but it is also considerably more expensive than the other two.

All are good scopes.  Which one I chose would depend on what magnification range I was interested in and whether size and weight is a consideration.  For example, Vortex has a great little 2-7X32 that would be great for a compact, woods rifle/carbine.  I happen to like "tweener" scopes of this magnification range, so if I were looking for something more compact, I would select the Viper.  If money is tight, the Nikon Primos is a good choice, and it is close to the Viper optically.  The Conquests tend to be a few ounces heavier and usually longer than scopes from the other series.  Mechanically, I have no idea which is more durable than the other, but the Vortex Vipers have gotten some good press on their durability.  Vortex has the best warranty terms and probably the best customer service of the 3.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
quarterbore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Previously Banned Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarterbore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 15:33
I would have to second rifledude's points, as with all products, better sometimes has to be qualified.  Personally, having never peered through a Primos (but have through owned Monarchs) or Viper, I could not say from experience which one is the best, but from my readings, the Zeiss would be the one.  The one conquest that I own in a 2.5x8 I believe, is fantastic.  I would recommend that you look through all before making any decision.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 21:30
I haven't selected one yet, I have no access to the Vipers or the Monarchs to look through them. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and absolutely love it, but I like having a variety, every gun being different. I had a 450 Bushmaster on layaway but came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a new one of these http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4853&cat=1940. I had about $600 saved up for optics but it's looking like I will be more in the $350-$450 range do to some unplaned expenses. It sucks that their isn't a shop here in the area that I live that really specializes in quality riflescopes. Sad to say that so for in my experiences the shops here in Houston are mainly overpriced lieing scam artists and ripoff jobs. It is bad when you go to a gun shop that people speak well of and they are selling $30-$50 NC Star pistol scopes for $80+. So basically, this will be pretty much a designated hog hunting gun, I already have the ND3 to go with it.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 21:36
All sugestions are welcome, I have really been thinking about that "tweener " scope ideah also rifledude.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic