OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I want to MAKE a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to MAKE a scope
    Posted: March/14/2010 at 15:24
I want to make a magnifying scope for my airsoft gun. I know that you have to use a concave and a convex lens but where can i buy the lenses? And also, how do they draw the crosshair on? I tried using sharpie but it ends up being transparent. As if i dont see the black crosshair
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 15:30
Stare   Why?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:01
Ilya would actually be able to help you if you really need it explained in detail.

Got to agree with SVT though. If you're setting the bar low enough for a sharpie, might as well spend 15 bucks and get something put together by an 8 year old Chinese girl.  "leapers, etc"

This going on a home built pvc air gun? "some of which are pretty darn cool I might add"

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
hydryu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:42
I was just saying. Why doesn't sharpie work? I was wondering how the real scopes make the crosshair so dark and perfect
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:13
Not trying to harsh on ya man. I have no clue why a sharpie wouldn't work, or any idea what is actually used.

Welcome
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:34
the good ones are "etched" and the others are wire........ I believe!
take em!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 03:36
Originally posted by hydryu hydryu wrote:

I was just saying. Why doesn't sharpie work? I was wondering how the real scopes make the crosshair so dark and perfect

I suggest you read up a bit first before trying to build your owm scope. You will need to understand a bit more about the physics of lenses etc.

The front lens or objective lens forms a picture roughly 3 inches in front of the rear lens or ocular lens. The function of the rear lens is to enlarge this picture for you.

The crosshair is also placed at this point, in other words 3 inches in front of the rear lens. It is not drawn on any of the lenses.

So a sharpie will not work. These lines are so thin they are hardly visible to the naked eye. The lines are made of thin strands stretched between two points or etched onto a glass. This glass is not part of the objective or ocular lens.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 03:38
A further note, unless you also use erector lenses, your sight picture will be upside down.

As one post suggest, rather buy a $18 Chinese scope.

Edited by 8shots - March/15/2010 at 03:39
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 13:08
Man the bottom line is that the costs for any associated parts needed are going to cost you. Because of the building only one cost to unit price. Then there is the whole lens design for scope length design and focal points. Magnification, and erector... What you are asking isn't an easy proposition, especially so when the fact that you have questions only provides the insight that you would be doing trial and error.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 21:46
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
hydryu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 22:33
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

A further note, unless you also use erector lenses, your sight picture will be upside down.

As one post suggest, rather buy a $18 Chinese scope.

Where can i find a 18$ scope? Link plz
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 22:58
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 22:59
you can get 3 of them for $18
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 23:05
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 23:11
Can we get that with tactical knobs, and will the old style cardboard kotex holders work or should we go Scotts papertowel core for more adjustment?   Also I have some old beer bottles laying around do you think the glass will be too dark for lenses.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/15/2010 at 23:13

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 23:26
Depends on the beer? You a high life man? We could get some style pts for rolling rock. Vato

It is going on an airsoft, and I give the guy props for wanting to build his own.

All kidding aside, for an airsoft the BSA would pretty cool.

"those things hurt at close range, my 11 yr old has one and did a Chuck Connors on me for saying her wavvy locks reminded me of Medusa."  Girls are so sensitive.

She's the mean one, I told her older sister she looked like Braveheart with her make-up and she just rolled her eyes at me.

I'm thinking my kids may need therapy at some point.

Edited by neilbilly - March/15/2010 at 23:28
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic