OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Attn: Chris, Problems ordering from SWFA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanttori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attn: Chris, Problems ordering from SWFA
    Posted: September/15/2005 at 10:07
Hello,

Yesterday I tried to order a Tasco Super Sniper scope with accessories to a friend of mine in CA. It was supposed to be a gift, he's a marine and about to go to Iraq. The online thingy didn't work much to my suprise so I called the customer service. I was informed that the order was a no-go as the billing address is outside US. I was pretty disapointed. Since I was going to give my friend the gift one way or another I called him, explained the situation, and he then ordered the stuff from you and I paid him via wire transfer. Kinda spoiled the suprise. Anyway, what I'm asking is that if you don't appreciate business from outside US you could make it more clear to people to avoid this sort of things in the future. I'm sure my friend will enjoy his new scope.

Best Regards,

Petri Vaatainen
Finland
Keep your laws off my guns!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 14:30

I don't have dog in this fight either way, but you might be better served NOT making a post like this right out of the gate, friend.

SWFA has a sterling reputation here in the States from many, many people.

How about emailing Chris directly, (IE discreetely) instead of using a free service he offers to try to discredit him or his company? 

Just a suggestion....

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kanttori View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanttori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 17:17
SWFA is undoubtly a great place to shop for optics. I merely wanted to bring this to his attention so similar incidents could be avoided in the future. Maybe in future even us Euros can take our businesses there.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 19:25

SWFA is great like you said but they have reasons for doing what they did.  Nough said, like with everything you buy, you shop and research.  If you have emailed Chris before you ordered you would have found out they couldn't get the scope to you. 

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Kanttori View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanttori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2005 at 03:39
The scope was going to California. Oh well..
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2005 at 11:26

I am working on making it more clear on our check-out page that we only do business in the United States of America.  I apologize for any confusion and frustration this has caused you and your friend in Kalifornia.

Our "U.S. only" policy came about for several reason.  The first reason was an insane amount of credit card fraud from International orders and we have to eat every single one of them......not the credit card company.  Second was the lack of participation by International banks in the address verification part of the credit card approval.  Third was packages getting lost or damaged (routinely) and having to fight for months to get paid from the insurance.  Fourth was International customers continuously asking for us to lie on the customs form so they would not have to pay duty and taxes, then getting mad because we would not break the law.  If we declare a $1000.00 scope to be worth $72.00....guess how much we get paid when it gets lost or stolen???  Fifth was International customers getting very upset of what the actual shipping charges were costing on high value shipments.  Sixth was the United States Department of Defense's minimum 10 million dollar fine if we ship any optic that the military buys (and there's a bunch of them).  We weighed the positives vs. the negatives vs. how much International business we did, and decided to stop all International shipments.  I hope you understand our reasons.

The Super Sniper line of scopes are sold to the U.S. Navy and Army currently and exporting them will get you in big trouble.  We had customers from foreign countries call and want to buy one, we'd explain why we could not and they would ask if we could ship it to a U.S. address and then their buddy would ship it to them.....just so you know this is still highly illegal.

Kanttori View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanttori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2005 at 15:04
Dear Chris,

I'm sorry to hear about those incidents. I totally understand your concerns. Hopefully there will be some changes in the regulations in the future.
model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2005 at 16:19
You guys are a little tough on the guy.....SWFA is no doubt a reputable company with good service, hence the reason I am also surprised that there are no sales to billing addresses outside the US even if the shipping address is in the US.  Chris' response is logical and reasonable.  A forum is designated as an area where issues can be discussed, otherwise what good is it if people don't ask questions that are on their mind because someone might get upset?  I think Kantorri was pretty polite in his posts and I think we got some good info!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2005 at 16:50

Originally posted by model88mattie model88mattie wrote:

You guys are a little tough on the guy.....SWFA is no doubt a reputable company with good service, hence the reason I am also surprised that there are no sales to billing addresses outside the US even if the shipping address is in the US.  Chris' response is logical and reasonable.  A forum is designated as an area where issues can be discussed, otherwise what good is it if people don't ask questions that are on their mind because someone might get upset?  I think Kantorri was pretty polite in his posts and I think we got some good info!

If your referring to me, Sir, I didn't like the way the guy handled the situation.

I would have tried calling, emailing, or sending smoke signals BEFORE I went on an on line service, seen by thousands of people daily and aired a problem. Especially when Chris and SWFA are gracious enough to host this site for all of us to benefit from. 

That's just me. As always, your milage may vary.

Secondly, I too think the gent was very polite and professional, and I'm really glad it got worked out, for him and SWFA. 

I certainly don't take issue with what he said....Just the way he said it.

Thirdly, when you or I post anything on a forum like this, you take the chance of getting jacked up.

I have had it done to me, and no doubt will again.

Regards....cheaptrick

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic