OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Can I change stocks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I change stocks?
    Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:20
Sorry if this really shows how much a newbie I am when it comes to this kind of thing.

I'll be getting a Remington 597 soon, and I really don't care for the look of the grey stock.

Are there replacement stocks I can get that are specific to the 597?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:28
I do not know if they make replacement stocks for that rifle...but there is always KRYLON!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:28
Yes... A quick Google search turned up several. I won't post a link though as some also sell scopes, and that is a competition thing where this forum is owned by SWFA. So we try to maintain that respect.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:29
Oh... welcome to Optics Talk. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Cyborg
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:34
Volquartsen makes a few accesories for that rifle that could turn it into a real tackdriver included a nice stock

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/14/2010 at 12:34
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:43
http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/  there is krylon and then there are other paint jobs available.   The problem is that to replace the stock or refinish the stock willl probably cost mort than the rifle.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/14/2010 at 12:44

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:57
Thanks for the info! I don't mind the look of the stock itself, and judging by the aftermarket and how small it is, I will probably just keep the stock that comes with the 597 and just paint it.

Has anyone used Krylon before on a synthetic stock? I have had some experience in painting things out of a can, and they usually turn out nice, but can easily be scratched and the paint can sometimes come off. Any have any specific advice on this?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:16
I just did my Savage. As for durability, yes it chips pretty easily. But it is also pretty cheap to fix or change colors.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:32
billy i have seen that picture on like 3 different threads,,,,,,,,,and still love it!!!  Thunbs Up
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:43
Krylon Fusion paint is designed for use on plastics and seems to bond much better than the regular can paint.  I believe it is available in 2-3 different camo colors!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 15:12
Yes Fusion is the best choice.

Cyborg
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:37
Well, Fusion it will most likely be then! I just looked at Wal-Mart and they have black, (dark) brown, and green. Not sure for the look I am going to go with. I first thought about just going with a simple flat black, but now I am thinking about some camo using leaves for stencils. Anyone have or seen a good write up on this?

I'll post pictures when I decide to do this for anyone else interested.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:52
Several members have gone that way and some have turned out real masterpieces!  Do some searching in the firearms thread and you should be able to find some examples.  That and just post a request for pictures of others  completed projects!! I think you'll be quite impressed and get some good ideas!

BTW welcome to the OT!  Tons of great info as well as a multitude of opinions. Can't leave home without one!  Wink  Stick around awhile!  Hope you like it as much as I do!

Something for everyone!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:56

I got a replacement stock for a 597 ,brown laminated for $70.
I like the looks of the new 597 VTR ,AR type looking platform.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:03
This info is a bit over the top for your stock but it gives you the basics for a paint job.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:12
WHOA! AJ, buddy!  have you tried one of those finishes?  Love the hi gloss lamy and the sarahwrap marbling!  See Call911 you came to the right place.  Those are all over the top and Sweet looking!  There also are a lot of camos and single tones in flat for hunters and Spec-Ops types!

Edited by budperm - March/14/2010 at 18:12
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:19
I just found a old 597 tock that i sprayed up.
This stock was green in color to start, i used plastic primer then a fine texture paint.Once plastic primed you can use any paint as a top coat.(Btw my efforts are nothing like what's on that web page, this took me a few hours)
As you can see the paint is not heavy,the Remington decal is still clear.
I messed about with the Remmy 597 a lot but gave up due to lack of after market parts,10/22 took my interests.
Good luck

Edited by Average Joe - March/14/2010 at 18:22
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:30
I think thaty loooks great AJ!
--Thomas Jefferson

CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:31
Joe, those are some crazy finishes. Although unique, its not really the look I am going for.

I like the more traditional camo look, or I may end up just going flat black and looking for a clear matte to go over top to help prevent chipping.

Also not the exact color I am going for, but I like how this one turned out; http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/camouflage-paint-rifle-3.php
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:34
I ended up starting a new thread for finished camo paint jobs as this now is not really what I started this particular thread for.

Thanks to everyone for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic