OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope suggestions...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope suggestions...
    Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:05
I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308, and am looking for a scope that fits my needs. I am new to the optic game so bear with me.

I would like a mil dot sight, and will be using the scope and rifle for target shooting in the 300-700 yard range. I am looking to spend up to $1400, but ideally would like to keep it on the lower end price wise.

Leupold and NightForce have been a couple names that have been reccomended. But besides the fact I know both brands are of high quality I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

Any reccomendations or info welcomed.

The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:36
Bushnell Elite 4200...have a look at the various 4-16, 6-24 or 8-32 models.
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:47
My buddy uses Bushnell, and I am convinced they are great scopes for the money. However, I am looking for something a little more high end than Bushnell.

Any other thoughts?
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:57
I am by no means an optics expert but I would choose toward a Vortex PST or the SS 10 HD.  Others on here can comment on the scopes available at that 1400 limit but I have been studying the hell out of the 500 to 1000 choices.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:22
The S.S. 3x9 and 10x HD get very good reviews. Both have very good glass mil-dot reticles, and mil adjustments. The 3x9 is a first-focal plane reticle, so you can use the reticle at any power setting. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:28
Originally posted by CALL911 CALL911 wrote:

My buddy uses Bushnell, and I am convinced they are great scopes for the money. However, I am looking for something a little more high end than Bushnell.

Any other thoughts?

What about the Bushnell Elites is not highend?  the 6500 line of scopes and even teh 4300 line are both great scopes and have the rainguard coating that is great.  If you just want something that has a "high end name" like Nightforce, S&B, USO, or others, that fine, but the Bushnell is a great and very capable scope.  The 4200 and 6500 isn't the same Bushnell you see in wally world.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:03
This is my lack of knowledge I suppose then. My buddy (who has been a competition shooter for years) has a Bushnell and loves it, but he says he would get chastized at competitions because he wasn't sporting one of the more high end models (even though he would get similar results).

From his statement I assumed that Bushnell was not one of the brands that was among the elite or best of the best for scopes.
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:04
...on one more note, I know from personal knowledge that the military uses more Leupold scopes that most anything else. I also figured that would mean that they were top notch.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:21
Based upon your stated requirements, this would be a good scope:

IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 251426
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Modified MP-8 Dot
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
  • 0.1 MRAD adjustments
  • Exposed Target Knobs

Within your price range, very good glass, durable.  CS is pretty good, but you probably won't need it.  I've used one on a 50BMG and it was a very nice choice. 

I recently used one of the Leupold M4 4.5-14x50's and liked it better than I thought I would... good glass, nice tactile and audible knobs, overall nice "feel", performed well on a .50.  I have not been a great fan of Leupold, but am considering another look in the future.  Also in your price range. 

Both worth taking into consideration...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:29

Being chastised by a bunch of guys doesn't bother me when I am shooting the same groups if not better with cheaper equipment....With that said the Bushnell wouldn't be my first choice only because of the limited Elevation travel that they have. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:44
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42HD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95
TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - TPS30571
  • Medium (1.075")
  • Alloy Steel
  • Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny)
$69.95

TPS XP Tactical 1 Piece Base TPS XP Tactical 1 Piece Base
Stock # - TPS20102
  • Alloy Steel
  • Remington 700 Right Hand Short Action
  • 20 MOA
$59.95 

I agree.  The bushnell scopes are good glass but have only about 50 moa of internal adjustment not enough for lots of long range work but probably ok to 600 yds past that you are reaching the limits of the scope.  The military does use lots of Leupolds and a lot of other optics also including the Super Sniper scopes.  The 10x HD is a scope specifically built for the U.S. military to their specs - it is the latest version.  The scopes with enough internal adjustment are Leupold, Super Sniper, Nightforce, U.S.Optics, Heinsoldt, S&B, IOR and some of the new Vortex models.
Vortex 5-20x50 Razor HD 35mm Rifle Scope EBR-2 Vortex 5-20x50 Razor HD 35mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - RZR551
  • Matte
  • EBR-2 Reticle
  • 35mm
  • Side Focus
  • .1 Mrad
$1,999.95 
Add Vortex 5-20x50 Razor HD 35mm Rifle Scope to Cart
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Dot Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - 3302929001
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
$3,462.95 
Add Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight to Cart
Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman LP 34mm Riflescope Illuminated P4F Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman LP 34mm Riflescope
Stock # - 949P4FC
  • Matte
  • Illuminated FFP P4F
  • 34mm
  • Double Turn Knob
  • Side Focus
  • 1Centimeter
  • Flip-Ups Included
$3,198.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl12_Price_VS = value=+ZgNauyapx4CKgFYERv3kc7ur2KAoA+DozBon9WM9XhA5MMLU/M7myxGage7OTah name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl12$Price$VS>
Add Schmidt &amp; Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman LP 34mm Riflescope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 15:13
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 15:19
I don't know what happened above but I don't see a way to edit my post.
The Sightron has 100 moa of adjustment as opposed to the Bushnell's 50 
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:33
What does MOA mean? I am assuming it has something to do with the amount of light it allows to be used for its relative field of vision, but I don't know.
austin243600yd. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin243600yd. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 17:44
no it has to do with the amount of ajustment in the scope reticle 50 M.O.A.s will get u a ok ways but 100 M.O.A.s will get u alot further M.O.A. stands for minutes of angle i use 15.75 M.O.A.s out of my scope to reach out to 600 yards with my 243win Rmington 700 my scope has an avliabe 56 M.O.A.s and thats roughly 1200 yards with the correct bullet and powder load
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 18:28
^ Thanks austin
wjm308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjm308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 09:46
Call911, I have been studying a lot of the scopes lately as well as I am in the market for a good long range optic for a 300 WSM.  Since you mention your primary desire is targets in the 300-700 range I would make a couple recommendations.  You might consider a FFP (First Focal Plane) reticle, this means that when you "zoom" the scope from low magnification to high (and vice versa), your reticle will get bigger with increased magnificatoin and smaller with decreased magnficiation.  Some people do not like this and you'll have to decide for yourself but the advantage with a mil-dot system is that you don't have to be at a "fixed" power in order to use the mils, you can be at any power and still use them.  If you can wait a couple months, the new Vortex Viper PST in 4-16x50mm might just be perfect and at a price point that doesn't hurt (too bad), if you're looking for a little more magnfication you can look at the 6-24 Viper PST or spend almost twice as much to get an IOR Valdada 3-18x42mm with FFP MP-8 reticle, this scope seems to be very popular with long range shooters.  Since I want something that's a little more geared toward hunting, I am shying away from the mil-dot style scopes and looking for one of the ballistic compensating reticles which leaves out the Vortex and the Valdada :(; however, I wrote Vortex about potential future reticles for the PST and while they couldn't confirm anything they did say "keep an eye on us and you might be surprised."  This is definitely encouraging, but how long is the question, I'd really like to take a look through one of the PST's, it appears that anyone who has had an opportunity to do so has been really surprised at the optical quality.  That's my 2¢
CALL911 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALL911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 18:46
Thanks wjm308! I'll look into the Viper PST, and I defintatly can wait for what I want. Really I am still in the research stage so I have a while before I would feel comfortable getting what I want for spending that much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic