OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

barrel lapping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barrel lapping?
    Posted: March/13/2010 at 20:27
I have just bought a new Savage rifle.

I have read about shooting some special bullets(you reload them yourself) to take out any of the imperfections in the barrel?

Anyone got any information on this process?
Bang...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 23:12
I have bought 2 Savages in the last year.  A 270Win and a 223.  I cleaned both with Hoppes #9 and brass brush several times then patches till they were clean.  I then started shooting.  Both guns were immediately MOA or better.  Ran a #9 saturated patch then a boresnake them them every 20 rounds.  Couple hundred rounds later I am shooitng around 0.5 MOA on both.  Course I dialed in the hand loads in that time too.

IMO I wouldn't waste the money of Tubbs lapping and polishing rounds.  They are several times more expensive than the Hornady's and Noslers I use everyday.  I think Savages are just ready to shoot sttraight out of the box and the rest is marketing smoke!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 08:42
BudP's right, I don't think any new gun needs Tubbs out the box unless you shoot it and can't get a group to save yourself and have tried everything else....I have used Tubbs now on a couple of older guns that were starting to open up on paper but never a brand new gun.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:31
I am with the other two. After you get a really good initial clean done, go shoot!!! I bet it tickles you pink! Mine did.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 11:05
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I am with the other two. After you get a really good initial clean done, go shoot!!! I bet it tickles you pink! Mine did.
Yeah Buddy!!!  Savages, the best bang for your buck goin!!! Thunbs Up
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 11:13
 + 5 on Buds suggestion just shoot it and then clean it. Some Savages actually shoot better a little dirty and guys don't clean them until the groups open up. JUST ENJOY.
froggy
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 11:19
I shoot about 10 rounds, then thoroughly clean the bore and chamber. Use a copper solvent. Then shoot ten more. Usually after about 50 rounds I begin to notice groups are getting more consistent. Minus my occasional screw up that is. I use this burn in time frame to help determine which rounds my rifle likes best.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 14:10
Used the Tubbs Throat Maint. System on a 2000 plus round barrel and found no benefit, but others have used it and had good to great things to say about it.

As stated, I'd clean it throughly and start shooting. I've used Rem Bore Cleaner on a patch with it's slightly abrasive consistancy to smooth out a few new factory bores, prior to shooting.   

Those Savages are typically WICKED accurate from the get go. Good shooting!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 14:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I've used Rem Bore Cleaner on a patch with it's slightly abrasive consistancy to smooth out a few new factory bores, prior to shooting.   

'Course, using a Remington product on a Savage, might void the warranty or melt the barrel.......Wink

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 23:54
I used the Tubbs one a rifle and it did get a little bit easier to clean but no more accurate. FWIW, the Rem. 700SS 5R in .308 is a shooter too. I cleaned it well before the first round but haven't since. First 20 rounds were all an untuned load seated to 2.81" and after zeroing have shot under .75 MOA with virgin brass. I may get better than that after some load testing. (Starting with 44.5 gr. Varget, 165 gr. Accubond, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primer). I'll run .3 grain increments up to 46, keeping an eye out for pressure signs.
Reaction time is a factor...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 07:11

I've used Rem Bore Cleaner on a patch with it's slightly abrasive consistancy to smooth out a few new factory bores, prior to shooting.   

'Course, using a Remington product on a Savage, might void the warranty or melt the barrel.......Wink

Roll on Floor Laughing 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 09:32
When you use the Tubb bore conditioner, it takes material (and life) off the barrel.  A good break-in is always a good idea, using the bore conditioner is something I would only consider on a gun that doesn't shoot well (after I'd tried a few other fixes.)

I used it once on a barrel that wasn't great, it got easier to clean but no increase in accuracy.  It is, in the words of my smith, roughly equivalent to shooting about 1,000 rounds down the tube.  So, my barrel that "should" last about 3000 rounds will now give me about 2000 rounds.

I won't do that again.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2010 at 11:03
Shhh! I'm trying to sell the other box of Tubbs bullets I plan on never using. Big Smile

I might break in a barrel on something other than the 700SS but I don't see it being logical or necessary on a hammer-forged barrel. There are no tooling marks as would be left with a rifling cutter. I also wouldn't do it on a custom barrel, such as a Krieger, etc. because they've been handlapped and it would only waste barrel life.

I'm a good 4-5 years away probably from having to rebarrel the rifle that I did use the Tubbs on. So at least I can save up for that and anticipate it. Still, kinda wish I'd never done it. It was only copper that was hard to clean out and I no longer try to scrub all that out...only the carbon. BTW, pay attention to the chamber. That is important to keep clean. Don't let it get all gummed up with carbon and gun lube.

There will be one advantage to a new barrel - getting rid of the excessive Remington factory throat!
Reaction time is a factor...
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2010 at 21:28
we use shooters choice bore cleaner 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic