OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New progressive.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New progressive.
    Posted: March/13/2010 at 14:16
Looking for a progressive setup. Any thoughts on which would be the best way to go? I am looking at loading hand gun ammo 45ACP mainly and .223 or .308 as well. Or would I be better off with a single stage for .223 and .308?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Sparky
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 17:42
Dillon 550 is sexy but the Hornady progressive is much better in function, and comes with a better powder measure.
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 20:58
A progressive is all about quantity. When I was actively shooting IPSC, I loaded a couple hundred 45ACP per week on a Dillon.

Frankly, if you're not shooting several hundred rounds per month, a single-stage press is a lot easier to keep track of. Nowadays, it's more convenient not to have to get everything adjusted and ready on the Dillon if I'm just loading 50 cartridges.

I usually resize and prime a bunch of cases in advance when I'm puttering around. When I need to load, it doesn't take much time at all to charge them with a powder measure and seat a bullet on my single-stage press.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 08:43

Whats your budget?  You can go with the low end of the spectrum with the Lee classic turret with isn't 100% progressive being you still have to add the shell each time you make a cycle or the Dillon's that are the rolls royce of reloading

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 11:12
Dillon 650 for pistols. Maybe stick with a single stage for rifles tho it can be done on the Dillon. The No-BS warranty is great cause things will break and wear out occasionally. I'm thinking of going to a turret press for my rifles. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 11:35
I use a lee classic turret but I never use the indexing rod, I use it as a single stage and just turn the turret as i need to.  My 300 win mag rounds don't fit in it though and I have to go in at an angle to seat the bullet and crimp
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 07:34
Thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning toward the Hornady.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic