OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunter Wicked Optics 3-12x42mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunter Wicked Optics 3-12x42mm
    Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:39
Afternoon, all.  Brand spankin' new to the forum, so hopefully there is a lot of good info to be learned here.

I've been hunting for about 20 years now and went into my local gun shop.  Sometimes I go in just to try and keep up with the times and technology.

They have this line of scopes branded Hunter Wicked Optics and I was just curious as to whether any of you all have heard of the brand or know anything about the brand's quality?

The scope I am eyeballing for my .270 is the one listed in the thread subject.  It runs around $285.  I would like to hope that for that price, it would be a good, reliable scope.

What say you!?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:49
I have not heard anything about them, and never even heard of them before. I would buy a Nikon Team Primos through SWFA. It is a very good scope. You can also get a Bushnell 3-9x 40 4200 Elite for less than what that scope you mentioned will cost you. Either of the tw0 I recommend is a near no brainer for a hunting rifle in that caliber.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:54
UH OH.... A quick search found this....

Hunter Wicked Optics - Aaahhh they’re back. No snake oil salesman, and no outrageous claims of Schott glass in the scopes. Actually, Hunter looks like they make all kinds of shooting related products. As for the scopes, the 3-9x40 was surprisingly bright and clear (dem Chinese getting real good). However, the long range scopes (3-12x42, 6-24x50) were like looking through a dog’s butt. That’s all the copy that Wicked Optics gets...which is probably 100 words too long.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:03
Wicked Optics are from the Hunter Company. They have been making leather shooting gear and holsters for many years. I have several of their shell holders that came with Burris scopes I had purchased years back. Burris had bought the Hunter Co. at the time.
I don't know what the deal is these days. But, their power adjustment rings look curiously similar to Burris Signature and FF  power adjustment rings of the past.

Doug
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:04
I have to agree, there are better ways to spend you money that are proven already and known.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:07
Good stuff and quick responses.  I picked up the scope and glassed it out the gunshop window and it didn't really look too bad.  At least I didn't think so.  I'll have to check out the 4200 Elite series and do a comparo.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:09
I also see that Westminster (Wicked) and Greeley(Burris), Colorado are both just north of Denver. I am curious myself, indeed.

Doug
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:12
Absolutely... A nonbiased comparison would be welcomed. It may be a few years before we get am idea about the brands reliability though. But, everyone has to start somewhere.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:45

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:52
I would stick with tried and true such as the Bushnell elite 4200. Or something else along those lines. Why chance it?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 15:15
It's kind of a long e-mail, but here is what I sent their company just a few minutes ago, either way, I'm not likely to purchase their scope:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing in regards to your Hunter Wicked Optics 3x-12x-42mm, listed at $351 on your website.

The reason I am writing is because my local gunshop has some of your optics products for sale on their showroom floor, but any queries that I run on the internet to try and obtain some information about the scopes comes up with a pretty small spectrum of available information.

I have yet to read a review on the scope from anybody across the country and in all actuality, what I HAVE found on the internet about your scopes, specifically your longer range scopes, has been negative.  I don't know where your scopes are manufactured.  Most importantly, I don't know how they stack up to the competition that is closely positioned in your price range, such as Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell Elite 4200 Series, Nikon Team Primos, etc all being tried and true and WIDELY popular scopes and all running around the same price as your Wicked Optics line.

I guess that what I am writing for is for you to sell me your product!  What makes your product stand out predominantly over the others I listed and would make me lean towards purchasing a Wicked Optics over the competition?  I ask because I can't find any statistics on the internet or personal testimony to make me do so, but I believe in giving every business a fair shake at selling me their product before I just make a decision on what the majority of other folks do.

Thank you for your time,

Derek L. McKay
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 22:05
Good email, EWO, and kudos to you for giving the co a chance. But I doubt you'll hear much from them other than the "specs" they'll send you.
 All being said, I'll have to agree with everyone else on the forum, and that would be to pick something out here that is already proven in your price range ( most likely the Conquest).

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:37
Phone conversation with Hunter Wicked Optics distributor today pretty much verbatim (I wrote down the questions that I had for them and tried to remember their answers as best I could, so some of these are "close"):

Me: "My first question is, why, if Hunter Wicked Optics has been in production for at least the past few years that I have read up on, is there not a single, solitary review on ANY of the scopes on the internet for consumers to make informed decisions on?"
Rep: Give the brand time.  Like most "small guys" out there, our line will kick off eventually and be a coast to coast recognized and popular hunting tool and will be used by many. 
Follow up question: "If I told the public that a vomit flavored popsicle would soon be the most recognized popsicle, coast to coast, and that many people would be eating them, how long do you think that it would take for that to catch on without other people giving it good reviews and advertisement to suggest that a vomit flavored popsicle is actually better than cherry?  You don't have to answer that question."

Me: "Can your scopes stand up to the punishing recoil of the multitude of magnum calibers out there reliably, such as in the case of the Bushnell Elite 4200 series being bench tested with .375 H&H Magnums, etc?"
Rep: Abolutely!
Follow up question: "Do you have any evidence to support that?  Because, again, I can't find anything other than a couple negative remarks about your gear on the internet and one testimony from a gentleman saying that your scope fairs decently...on his AIR GUN."
Rep: Not at this time, Sir.

Me: "Is your HWO 3x-9x-50mm as good as the CHEAPER priced Bushnell Elite 4200 or Zeiss Conquest 3x-9x-50mm?"
Rep: I think so, Sir.
Follow up question: "Do you have any evidence to support that, or customer testimony?  Because again, I can't find anything on the internet, etc that can verify your claim.
Rep: Not at this time, Sir.

Me: "I DID have more questions for you, but I think that I am done at this point.  Have a nice day."

I won't be buying on. anytime soon.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 16:42
Not at this time or not that they wish to share at this time? Interesting, thanks Echo...Excellent

Cyborg
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 17:07
Well it sounds like he at least spoke English. Super  Much better than the tech guy from my internet company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
527varmint View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 02:28
Dont' buy that you can get into a weaver v-16 for that sort of money and its known to be a fantastic and reliable value.

Look at the 4200 elite
sightron big sky
weaver v series
Leupy are ok too  you could get a vx2 for 300 bucks
The only good coyote is a dead one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic