OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Scopes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Scopes.
    Posted: March/13/2010 at 11:46
Is it true that Leupold Scopes are no longer made in USA??? I´ve read on the internet that they are just assembled in USA with chineese parts. I´ve read the warranty still covers your scope same as always but there´s been an increase on the % of defective scopes that they get back.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:10
They are, just as the New Redfields, assembled here in the U.S. I am sure there may be some components manufactured here as well. I doubt that a majority of the parts are U.S. made. Quality of the parts wherever they are made is dependent upon adherance to tolerance specifications, and the ability of the label in question to verify those tolerances. Then too, the parts can be right on, and if the assembler isn't up to snuff, the quality will suffer. Just how many people hes Leupold, and Redfield kept that are long time skilled assemblers? I don't know, I doubt that anyone here can say either. Whether or not they are suffering from a quality standpoint, I can't say. That would be something that would have to be addressed by figures representing the percentage of failures per unit sold. Then comparing that figure against past performance.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:53
mmmm I´m not very sure about that. It´s well known that a lot of chineese made material is not that good. 
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:54
I have read the same rumors.  Analogy to look at it like Conquest being assembled here rather than Germany.  Not the same granted but my preference is buy American or American supported when practical.  That being said I own Nikon Monarchs (SWFA great buy two years ago), Zeiss Conquest, and a Leupold.  I own some others that I won't acknowledge.  Another example is the Super Sniper.

I will gladly buy Leupold because they are the benchmark, if they sell the scope you want at the right price.  Don't let the internet deter you with rumors even if they end up being right.   
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 12:58
What are you saying about the Super Sniper? The context that you have it in, sounds like a negative. Are you a "detractor"?

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:01
I don´t know. Where would you place a conquest vs a VX-3?? Maybe if i´m buying a USA assembled piece i wpuld consider the conquest first.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:04
I think the Conquest has an edge on the VX3 optically speaking.

Cyborg
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 13:48
Here is a link to the SWFA scope rating scale.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16515&KW=scope+rating&PID=194417#194417
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 14:03
This question gets asked here a lot.
From Leupold's web site- http://www.leupold.com/corporate/about-us/americas-optics-authority/
"All Leupold Golden Ring® Riflescopes are designed, machined, assembled, and tested in Leupold’s state of the art manufacturing facility in Beaverton, Oregon, USA.  Leupold uses over one million pounds of aluminum, amounting to over 100 miles of extrusion, in its facility every year and has the largest installation of Index Turning Centers West of the Mississippi River"
"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses.  This is because at this time, there is no American manufacturer that can supply the quantity of high quality lenses that Leupold needs for its annual Golden Ring Optics production.  Leupold’s lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in its state-of -the-art optics lab and then procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards"
"Incoming parts are carefully inspected  in our testing facility before they are accepted into the assembly process.  Incidentally, all major optics producers worldwide acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold.  Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian.  Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years"
I don't know of any data showing a higher rate of defective scopes.  I have seen articles stating Leupold is a Lean company using Six Sigma pronciples to drive customer satisfaction. If this is the case, a higher rate of defects is totally unacceptable.

Doug

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 14:57
I´ve sent a lot of different questions to Leupold via their "contact us" link and i always recived an answer but i´ve made this specific question twice in the last 2 months and never got a response.
I own a VX-III 8.5-25X50 and works well. 
The thing is that i´m on the quest of buying new scopes for my .243 win and my 7mm rem mag and i want to get the most for my money.
That being said i can´t buy a Z5, Z6, S&B, Victory or any other in that price range. I´d love to but it´s a lot of cash. So i was considering a Conquest, VX-3 or Monarch. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 15:01
Don't overlook the Bushnell 4200 and 6500 series Elites. The Vortex Viper, and the Sightron S3 are also very good for the coins invested.

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 15:31
I ordered a 3-12X42 monarch and it´s on its way. I´ll compare it to my VX-III and see how it goes.
I have a personal issue with bushnell i just don´t like their products. I think for the price of the 6500 i can get a 4.5-14X44 Conquest. I´ve never tried the other 2, but maybe i´ll give them a chance.
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 15:43
Maybe I'm a little off the subject, but I like to buy as much USA made as possible. We need to get our industry base started here again if our nation is going to prosper. Although have bought the stuff made elsewhere I feel we shoot ourselves in the foot doing this. This has nothing at all to do with the quality of the product, it's the quality of our kid's future.
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

What are you saying about the Super Sniper? The context that you have it in, sounds like a negative. Are you a "detractor"?

I am in no way detracting the SS.  American owned company with not all American parts.  Like most auto manufactures everything gets blurred about content and what is and isn't American.  Do your best to buy American I believe but supporting overseas labor does not mean you are not supporting the USA.  I have to get all of the value I can get but I like to buy what I can from US.

I own Ford, Toyota, KTM, Honda,Colt, Glock, Browning (Japan and Belgium),Kimber, Savage,Nikon,Zeiss,Simmons,Leupold,ZenRay.

I was trying to respond to the original topic, by saying not to sweat Leupold because some of the parts may not American.  Kind of like Harleys having Mikuni carbs for example.

My next scope purchase will be a SS because of the way SWFA (Texas Company even better) has treated me the last 10 years I have used them.  
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 16:22
   Thunbs Up

On the side... We have to get companies interested in making things American first. The Fed is all about taxation to the point that it is cheaper to make things abroad than here. Look at what the Health Care reform will do to the already over taxed worker corporation relationship. It is cheaper for them to outsource labor in thgrid world companies, because of the unemployment taxes, benefits, and a host of other things. Add the healthcare to this and there will be further outsourcing. More unemployed Americans are coming very soon. The obvious choice is to first shrink the Fed back to it's constitutional size, cut corporate taxation for those that employ Americans, put the power back in the hands of the States to compete for companies to move there. Short of these and some other needed steps, American Made will continue to dwindle until it is no longer an option due to its extinction.

Cyborg
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 16:23
My problem with Leopold, is that the American Made thing is one their big advertising gimics. It is also one of the reasons they say that there price is what it is(high). For what you pay for them, IMO, there are much better options available. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 16:35
Leupold definitely capitalizes on the fact it is an American company. I have never seen them say their stateside manufacturing costs were a reason for their price differences with the competition.

Doug
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 16:41

Thunbs Up

On the side... We have to get companies interested in making things American first. The Fed is all about taxation to the point that it is cheaper to make things abroad than here. Look at what the Health Care reform will do to the already over taxed worker corporation relationship. It is cheaper for them to outsource labor in thgrid world companies, because of the unemployment taxes, benefits, and a host of other things. Add the healthcare to this and there will be further outsourcing. More unemployed Americans are coming very soon. The obvious choice is to first shrink the Fed back to it's constitutional size, cut corporate taxation for those that employ Americans, put the power back in the hands of the States to compete for companies to move there. Short of these and some other needed steps, American Made will continue to dwindle until it is no longer an option due to its extinction.

Yepper, Agree, Concur all that is in agreement.
Trigger slap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger slap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 18:02

Thunbs Up

Excellent
How can we call it unalienable when we allow it to be suspended revoked or restricted?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic