OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binos with rangefinding reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVEN_7.62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binos with rangefinding reticle
    Posted: March/12/2010 at 12:30
Hey All, I'm trying to find a decent pair of binos with a rangefinding reticle.  I have a laser rangefinder, but would like a pair of binos with the rangefinding reticle in the case the laser rangefinder goes down.

I was interested in a pair of BARSKA Binos, but don't have any info or experience with them and am curious if they are a decent pair or worth having ... or if someone can give me an alternate suggestion???  If there is an alternate option that won't be expensive.  Thank You In Advance, Take Very Good Care, and Be Safe Always.

-RAVEN_7.62-
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 12:42
Unfortunately, the good quality binoculars with built-in rangefinders are all very expensive.

How much are you willing to spend?

Barska is known for cheap products of low quality.  I would avoid buying anything Barska personally.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 13:14
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RAVEN_7.62 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVEN_7.62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 13:25
I'm not looking for anything too extravagant.  Just something as a quick reference just in case.  I just want something I can use for ranging purpose that's decent.  They'd also be used for an upcoming Police Sniper Course I'll be attending.  I have a scope with the mil-dot reticle.  I'd like to use something in a spotting role as well.  I guess a backup to a backup to a backupBig Smile.  Murphy is always around when you least expect him to be Big Grin.

-RAVEN_7.62-
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 14:26
Unfortunately, the good binoculars with built in rangefinders are quite extravagant.  There are no inexpensive binoculars with rangefinder that I'm aware of that I think are worth buying. 

I believe you'd be much better off just buying a good solid midrange binocular and a separate rangefinder.  Merging the two together and still having a decent binocular with respectable image quality invariably means a very expensive product.  I think you'll find that in order to have a decent binocular merged with a rangefinder in a single unit, prices will start at around $750 - $800 (ex: the new Bushnell Fusion series).  Once you go below that price, the binocular portion of the instrument won't be very good, unless you don't care about having decent image quality.  This may change in the near future, but this is today's reality.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVEN_7.62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 15:03
I have a laser rangefinder ... it's a Leupold RX-III.  I was just wanting a decent pair of binos with a mil-dot or rangefinding reticle.  I apologize if I didn't clarify ...I'm just looking for something with the reticle.  I've only seen this feature in the Barska, Steiner, and IOR.  The Steiner and IOR are a bit pricey for me right now (maybe in the future Wink).  I was curious if there were a bit less expensive options??? 

When I was looking for a laser rangefinder ...I found out how expensive they got.  Just glad my fiancee' is understanding Big Grin.  I'm finding out how expensive precision shooting is ...sheeesh!!!

-RAVEN_7.62-
davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 15:08
Steiner makes some good binos with a ranging reticle. They are rubber armored and quite durable.

SWFA has them under "Steiner - Tactical/Military."  With Steiner the models with the letter "R" in the description have reticles. I like the 7x50's. They offer the best low light and in a LE situation you may be working at night. I would guess that 7x magnification would be enough for that use too.

Steiner quit making the 6x30's with the reticle some years ago. Too bad. I played with a pair a pair a few years ago and the guy laughed when I offered him $100 over what he paid for them. Those were small enough to fit in a glove box or coat pocket.

Lately SWFA has had a number of 10x50's listed on ebay. I saw a pair go in the high $300's a week ago.

As far as the police sniper training I think you'll find that a lot of LE agencies have bought and used Steiners with great success.

Good Luck!
It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
davelandefeld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davelandefeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 15:28
Raven_7.62

If you don't want to spend a lot of money and a ranging reticle is a must have take a look at the Tasco Offshore's. The OS36 is $179.95  (SWFA pricing).

People blast the company for some quality issues but my bro's OS36's have held up for many years. They're certainly not the best optics and I wouldn't want to look through them for hours at a time but for under $200 they can fill the bill.

After you count the hash marks on the vertical stadia of an object of known height you can use the ring on the outside of the objective lense to calculate your exact range.

They also have a built in compass which I really like when you are sharing and want someone to see something. On our "boys annual" trip to the Sierra my hunting buddies, and a few non-hunters, scout for deer. They have gotten used to sharing the Tasco's and as they're handed off I often hear something like "Look over there, at about 273 degrees."  

Check them out:

There are alot of manufactureres that make a "7x50 rubbber armored binocular with compass and ranging reticle" out there including Nikon and Olympus. It must've been a military contract spec or something. Steiners are still my favorite but at a hefty price.

It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities.
Eric Hoffer
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVEN_7.62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 16:44
Hey dave, Thanks for the info ... I appreciate it Wink.  The Tasco Offshore's are similar to what the Barska reticle has to estimate range and that's what I was looking for.  Not sure of quality between different brands, but you do get what you pay for.  For something I know is going to get somewhat abused in the field, I'd be much more comfortable using something that isn't too expensive.  Just looking for a set of binos that have a ranging reticle that's accuarte.  Although ... I'd also love to have the Steiner Brand Binos Smile.  Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-RAVEN_7.62-
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 17:57
The best back up range finder you can get probably already sits on top of your rifle.  It's your scope.  Get a sight in target with a grid in the pattern and go to the range.  Measure what the subtensions are between the crosshair and the top of the heavy duplex post.  Check that out at various ranges.  The manufacturer may have the info already on their website, whoever it is too.  Once you know that distance and have an idea of the body depth of whatever it is you are hunting, you can get a real good idea, for as far as most can shoot, how far away the target is.  You can do the same thing with mil dot or other multiple point reticle as well.  That is the same principle the rangefinding reticle uses anyway.  But it goes way out there in case you need mortar fire I guess. 

I have no idea why anyone would want to hang a rangefinding reticle in a hunting binocular. but I guess that's why they are available.  That is probably why you don't see them in "Hunting Optics" sections either.  They are found in Military/Marine and Tactical sections.

Barska likely offers little to nothing worth buying.  You can buy cheap or you can get inexpensive, but there is a big difference.

Edited by Klamath - March/12/2010 at 18:04
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 23:27
Sorry I mistook your use of "rangefinding reticle" to mean "rangefinder." 

Vortex makes some good binoculars with ranging reticles in their Viper Tactical series...

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-Tactical-Binoculars-C2970.aspx

I saw these at the SHOT show in January, and they are pretty nice.  They are simply their standard Viper binoculars with the addition of the reticle.

Or, the Steiners mentioned earlier are good as well.  There isn't very many binoculars with reticles available to choose from. 

One thing is for certain, though; I would certainly avoid anything made by Barska.
Ted

cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 10:04
i had a bushnell porro prism binocular . it was marked us navy 7x50.it was an excellent bino far lowlight and it had a range scale.call swfa and see if they have any of them left.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 11:32
Look on the used/surplus market for a Hensoldt 8x30 IF from the West German Army. They are excellent. 
Other options are the East German 7x40, the IOR 7x40, or the Russian 7x30. They all are excellent and have strenghts and weaknesses, but they cost several hundred dollars. 
There are other makes and models, from Kern, Leica, Meopta, etc.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 10:47
I have used and tested a lot of military range finding binoculars: Zeiss Hensoldt 7x50, 10x50, 8x30 and 6x30, Steiner, Carl Zeiss Jena NVA, several russian brands but I find none as price worthy as IOR 7x40.
It's got good optics, it's robustly built and has a well defined rangefinder. Very, very good binocular for the money.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 14:03
Here is the reticle that comes in our 10x50 and 8x28 Viper R/T binos.

These are the 10x50's

8x28's

Scott
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 14:06
Ok these are the 10x50's

www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic