OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTreme Tactical Rings and Rem 700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHC_Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTreme Tactical Rings and Rem 700
    Posted: March/12/2010 at 09:48
Can anyone tell me if I can get by with the Burris Xtreme Tactical LOW (1/4") rings with a Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50MM (side focus) mounted on a Remington XCR Compact Tactical (.308)?  Or will I need the MED (1/2") rings?

I would like the scope mounted as low as possible but before I placed an order with SWFA for the scope and rings, I would like some feedback.

Thanks..
Scott
Brandon, MS
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 09:54
What base are you using?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 10:06
SCH, Call swfa and they can tell you exactly what you need. Call and tall to stephanie. She will put you on the right track

I think meds will be what you need.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SHC_Brandon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHC_Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 10:14
Using the Burris XTreme Tactical 2 piece bases...
Scott
Brandon, MS
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 10:55
Mediums for sure maybe even High. Even if it was a 40mm you would be lucky to get by with LOWS. A lot of the time the bolt swinging up so much and hitting the eyepiece is the issue normally. That is our most common problem with clearance on those Remmys.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHC_Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 11:13
The main reason for asking is that I've read the "XTR" series of rings are higher than the standard Burris rings.

The Burris site indicates:
"XTR Rings are much higher than all other ring heights as designated on this page.

XTR Low 1/4" = standard ring Medium
XTR Med 1/2" = standard ring X-High"

Scott
Brandon, MS
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 11:17

Great thing about SWFA, you call them they can tell you what you need fast like!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/12/2010 at 11:26
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 11:35
I already did. I will explain why though. Typing it now.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 11:52

We have a Remmy 700 (NOT EVEN BULL BARRELL) with a SS3-9x42mm with Butler Creeks mounted on it with Talley Medium rings. We have about 4mm clearance maybe 5mm on the objective with the Butler Creek cover, but only about 1mm clearance on the bolt with the eyepiece of the scope. Those Talley rings are roughly 12.5mm from action to scope (actual height the scope is raised up) Seeing as the outside diamater of the objective on our scope with the butler creek is 53mm and the Weaver 4-20X50 with no butler creeks is 60mm, that automatically tells me you need a few more mm of clearance that what we have at 12.5mm without even using protective lens caps which adds about 2mm more to what is needed. Added all together you will need about 5.5mm more clearance than we have. 3.5mm from the objective being 7mm larger 3.5 on top 3.5 on bottom then about 2mm from the Butler Creeks. So without caps you will need a height of atleast 15mm and that is splitting hairs. With them you will need closer to 18mm of clearance. The XTR bases attatched to low rings height with them put together from action to scope is roughly 11mm, definately not enough. The Mediums are about 16.8mm cutting it extremely close with no butler creeks and more than likely won't clear with butler creek caps. SO you are then stuck at whether or not you want to try to clear with Mediums, more than likely you will need highs.

Edited by Chris Farris II - March/12/2010 at 12:05
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHC_Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 14:41
Thanks for the feedback... I appreciate it

Where do you typically find the outside diameter information?  I've seen it in other manufacturers' product manuals but I do not see that information in the Weaver product catalog or on their website.
Scott
Brandon, MS
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 14:47
I just measured it myself with a micrometer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic