OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoped for CZ .17 HMR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoped for CZ .17 HMR
    Posted: March/11/2010 at 22:37
A friend of mine let me shoot his CZ .17 HRM American.   At a 120 yards this is a very accurate weapon.  So before I knew it,  I opened  my gun safe and there is a band new CZ 452 in it. Now I'd like to purchase a scope, rings and mount for it.   I don't want to over spend for a scope, so I'm considering  $300.00  for the scope and mounting hardware.  Is that enough to buy a decent scope and mounting gear?

Any recommendations for the scope and  mounting hardware?  The optics does not have to be new;  buying a Demo B from SWFA would be fine with me.

Regards,

Chuck
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 07:21
As far as rings I would look at warne or leopold rimfire rings.  Optics, the Vortex on sale at SWFA?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cruft View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 09:19
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:14
The rings CZ makes are steel and very well made if you can obtain CZ brand rings for it buy those.  I suspect you will be working with a one inch tube scope and I know you want to actually enjoy all this rifle has to offer so $300 just truthfully is not adequate for an optic with target knobs to adjust correciton for trajectory compensation.  While you could stay in budget with a used scope like this:
The choice to buy one with the new improved glass offered in the FX3 line is a better choice.  I would select one of these the 6x if you plan on hand holding it while shooting the 12 x if you plan on using a rest and aiming carefully.  The 12x would make it a really top notch small varmit rig.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95  

Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope Fine Duplex Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66830
  • Matte
  • Fine Duplex
  • 1"
  • Target Knobs
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$499.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/14/2010 at 10:18

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 10:29
Have a good look at these rings and scopes:

1. Warne Rimfire Rings these can fit both the 3/8 and 11mm sized dovetails that are on the CZ452s (depending on what model you have).
2. Weaver Classic Rimfire (either fixed or variable) Fantastic price and the lenses are fully multicoated.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 11:36
Is this a .17 HMR  or a .17 HM2 ?

What model CZ 452 did you get?  "there are several"

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rimfire-rifles/

I ask because knowing the effective ranges of the rounds can help decide optics. I don't see $300 as a bad target to spend on a scope at all and if you're not going to be shooting more than about 100-150 yards you can get glass plenty good enough to see your target in your price range.

A couple of suggestions.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-3-9x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P10823.aspx

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Rifleman-Rimfire-Detachable-See-Thru-Rings-P3114.aspx

That would get you good gear and leave you some extra to buy shells and targets. :-)
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:20
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-Rifleman-Rimfire-Detachable-See-Thru-Rings-P3114.aspx

That would pretty much eleminate getting a good cheekweld for accuracy, I think it would be better to stay low since those rifles have no open sights that style of see thru ring would be a bit pointless.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
scooterpilot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:21
I thought I had included the model but I didn't.....whoooooooooops.

I bought the 452 American.  Funny I just learned CZ is discontinuing the 452 American and replacing it with the 455 American. They announced that in Dec, I'm  behind the power curve!

I spent all day yesterday researching and couldn't find a scope with the quality that I wanted for the $300.00 price range i had allocated.  I'm going to increase my budget to $600.00.  Now that inflation in a good way.

Any more comments area greatly appreciated.

Chuck
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:31
Whats the difference between the two?  I have 4.5-14 scopes on both of my 17 HMR's.

HTH,

Edited by tjtjwdad - March/14/2010 at 12:32
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 12:33
Are the target knob type fixed power scopes something you could work wiht or do you need a variable.  I tried to stay wiht a one inch tube but if you were to consider a 30 mm tube that opens up several options.  You need to give us a little more idea how it will be used.  I think I would feel pretty good about the 6x version of the FX3 wiht target knobs and adjustable parallax for most uses but if you are out at 100 and past that a lot but using a solid rest the 12X version might be a better choice for that type  shooting.
Also are you comfortable with and understand tactical knobs.  One really super all around scope is the Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP wiht 1/10 mil clicks.  Im not sure if CZ makes the 30 mm rings but Warne should.  It might be a good idea to have a gunsmith drill and tap the reciever and use Talley rings and base rather than the 11mm system.   If a traditional optic think Zeiss Conquest or a Bushnell 4200.
Good Luck

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
scooterpilot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:03
As far as using the "American," I guess I'd like the best of both worlds.  I want to use it to punch paper at 100 to 150 yards; additionally,  I'd like to be able to varmint hunt with it as well. I was considering a variable scope for use.  I checked the CZ site and could night find rings for a 30mm scope. https://shop.cz-usa.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=19007

This rifle/scope (CZ) is such a stark contrast to my Remington Sendro II, .300 Ultra Mag with a NightForces 8-32x56. Scope selection was much easier because I have specific use for the .300 Ultra.

I'm having a difficult time choosing the scope for the CZ because I'd like to have it for multiple uses.  Maybe I'd be better off just dedicating the rifle to  one or the other, varmint or paper punching.   Then make the decision on the scope. .  Just not sure.

Again, thanks for helping. 
Chuck
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:13
Yes the open sights are useless on a target barrel. "but without knowing which model he had I didn't know if he had iron sights or not" I went with the rings I posted as the most cost effective way to get the bolt clearance I needed for the optics I had. "most low rings for rimfire seem to be geared towards auto loaders" There are I'm sure more effective options out there.... it was just my .02

I'm not having any issues with cheek weld. "or bolt clearance"

Figured with a $300 budget it was a decent suggestion. Mine works for me. Wink

"I'm all over poorman's solutions"

Moving to the $600 range I'm all out of ideas, and will happily defer to those who have experience with optics in that price range.

Happy shooting.

Edited by neilbilly - March/14/2010 at 13:15
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:31
the vortex on sale will still grace my CZ on day soon, errr well not soon but whenever i get it from backorder
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2010 at 13:38
I hear ya man. Got 2 on order myself and am really looking forward to getting them.
527varmint View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 527varmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 02:24
small game hunting and plinking weaver rv7 2.5-7x28 on warne medium rings. I have this setup on a 17hm2 american.

For a bigger scope that would be ok for hunting, targets, varmints, all around performance. The weaver v-16.  Only thing is I don't like big scopes on sporter weight guns...

If you still want 4-14 power but in a smaller package look at teh burris timberline 4-14x32 i think it is . not as good but less money and smaller.
The only good coyote is a dead one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic