OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 Rimfire VS Weaver RV-7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 Rimfire VS Weaver RV-7
    Posted: March/11/2010 at 19:03
After doing a bit of research of the best rimfire scope to put on my new Winchester Wildcat 22LR rifle, I've come down to two models that are in my price range: Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 Rimfire and the reputable Weaver RV-7 2.5-7x28.

A lot of good has been said about the RV-7, but is there's anyone out there that has had the opportunity to compare these side by side? Which one of these two has better glass?

Although the Crossfire is heavier, the unconditional transferrable warranty on the Vortex is quite a selling point. What is it like to deal with Weaver/Meade?

Thank you Gentlemen...

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 19:52
Good choice on the Wildcat I love mine.

You get the standard barrel, or the 21 inch heavy barrel?

You hunting with the gun, or paper punching, and how far out do you plan on shooting?

I have 2 vortex crossfires on back order from our host, and have heard nothing but good things about their products.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

It would be a lot of glass for a .22, but I can't see for poop anymore and will only be paper punching with mine when I get it here.

Welcome

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:30
Weaver is no longer part of Meade and there should be no problem there. ATK, that owns Federal ammo, now owns them. They are in excellent hands.
I haven't used the 2-7 Weaver but if it's anything like the 4x, it is a great little scope for rim fires.
I have a 6-24 Crossfire on a very heavy recoiling spring gun. If that bigger scope can take a beating I have no doubt the 2-7 Vortex can.
The glass and adjustments on the Vortex are also quite good for the money. The glass has been usable in low light and for daytime use is easy on the eyes. I haven't had to do much adjusting. But, it was easy to zero in and has stayed put.

Doug
Denali View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:37
Thanks for the welcome!

I got one with a standard barrel - mainly I will be using it to make headshots on grouse/ptarmigan/bunnies between 25-75 yards. It's actually quite a nice gun for the price considering it's from good old Russia, not as nice as a CZ452, but an excellent value none the less.

I like the idea of having a smaller scope, as I will be bringing this gun on backpacking hunts along with my BRNO ZKK-600. So weight I kind of an issue for me, and the smaller objective seems to suit my needs. If I had the money I would go with a Leupold VX-I 2-7x28, but now I'm actually wondering if the optic quality of the Crossfire and Weaver is not that far behind.

Here's my Wildcat:

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:54
Very nice and glad to have you aboard here.
I don't think you'll have to worry about either the Weaver or the Vortex being behind the Leupold. Both are more cost effective than the Leo and the glass might be up a notch. Everyone's eyes are different on these things, though.

Doug
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 21:34
Nice rig.

I understand the low magnification and scope weight criteria. Both of your choices are good for what you have in mind.

http://img691.imageshack.us/i/wildcat1.jpg/

Mine is a bench gun. It's set-up a bit different than what you are going for.

Best of luck with either scope.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 20:17
I just bought a 2-7x32 Vortex Crossfire for my Model 63 Winchester.  I have an older VX Rimfire 2-7x28 Leupold on my other .22 WMR and will compare them when I receive the Vortex.  The only Leupold 2-7x28 available for rimfire is the VX-1 now and they are being discontinued.  For the lesser money, I will take a chance on the Vortex.  I was not very impressed with the Leupold VX-1 that I had bought a couple of years ago and I own three Leupold scopes.
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic