OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - JB and Koshkin - Kahles "Helia S" Line Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

JB and Koshkin - Kahles "Helia S" Line Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JB and Koshkin - Kahles "Helia S" Line Questions
    Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:43

I have been looking at second-hand Kahles scopes for a "truck gun" I am setting up, a Vanguard 338 WinMag. I have seen several of the Helia S line at reasonable prices on the auction sites, but I really know nothing about that Kahles line. I own and use Helia C, CS and CL Kahles scopes now along with a couple Swarovskis and Leupolds. How does the Helia S line compare vs. the newer Helia offerings? I really like the Kahles scopes I have now, and would probably go for one of these second hand scopes for the truck gun if they are any good...

What say you, scope experts? Anybody out there own or own in the past, or used a Kahles Helia S scope?

Thanks, y'all!

Texas

edit by Texas: changed title to elicit a look by JB and Koshkin.

Edited by Texas - March/16/2010 at 13:09
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 21:20
I have never heard of an S model and don't see them when googled. Can you give any more information?
I own a few C, CSX and L models myself and I'm interested in this question.

Doug
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 09:46
Doug,

I have never had a Helia S in my hand. I have only seen them on Gunbroker and ebay auctions. Here is an example:

I am very curious what the tracking and the view through one of these would be like. The CB, CS, CL and CSX scopes I have now are amazingly good (very close to Swarovski to my eyes), if these Helia S coatings are anywhere close it would be a nice lower-cost alternative for use as a back-up scope or a "truck gun" scope.

Maybe someone will have some knowlege. I was hoping JB or Koshkin might have knowlege of these.

Tom
"There are some things which cannot be learned quickly and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things..." Ernest Hemingway
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 09:08
Well, looks like these scopes are a case of you pay your money and you take your chances... maybe I'll get one if it is really cheap, < $250 maybe. Otherwise we will never know.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 11:33
I have never seen a Kahles Helia S, but I have seen the name.  I always thought these somewhat older scopes from 20-30 years ago, but I could be wrong.

ILya
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2010 at 11:42
Thanks, Koshkin. The mystery deepens...
HawaiiPD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HawaiiPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 16:39
About 25 years ago I bought several Kahles S scopes.  The S designation is for the hammer
forged steel tubes used to construct the scopes.  I bought two 2.5 x 20 and one 4 x 32 S models, I still have one each.  Kahles marked the scopes either S or L (for aluminum tubes).

These have a short eye relief, about 3.15 inches.  I have also the later 4 x 36 L model which retailed the short eye relief. 

I hope this helps.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2010 at 16:57
Good info, HawaiiPD!  Welcome to OT!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 10:41
That is good info HawaiiPD, thanks for joining and welcome to O.T.
My L has been an excellent scope through the years. The glass appears to be the same level as my C and CSX models.
I have been using it for on a 7 mag all this time with no problems. I have noticed the eye relief is less than a couple of other scopes I have been comparing it with lately. Still, I haven't been bitten.

Doug
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 11:02
Welcome HawaiiPD.....GOOD INFO my friend Thanks
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 14:03
HawaiiPD and Doug, that is all good stuff to know about these scopes! Thanks, it helps me!

Welcome to OT, HawaiiPD!!!

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic