OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope Need help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope Need help?
    Posted: March/11/2010 at 08:52
I am in the market for a new rifle.  This is what I have got so far:

Rifle:     Savage 10 FCP-K
Scope:  Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40
             SS 10x42,16x42 or 20x42   (The Scope has been giving me a great deal of frustration.  Way to many options.  Way to    much money)
Rings:   Burris Extreme

My budget is $2,000 and not a penny more! Per the wife....

I want to use this rifle for plinking, possible F-class, hunting and long range.

If I go with the SS, I am not sure what power to get? 
I want to be able to shoot 800-1000 yards.  First I will need to work on my skills then move there but don't want to have to buy another scope a year from now to do it.

Thanks
ArmyhooahYippee

Bang...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:38
If you are going to be shooting mainly 800-1000 yards I would get the 20xSS.  If those distances are going to be a rarity and your more likely to be shoot closer more than longer, I would say the 16x or 10x  For F class if you really got into it you would probably be happier with the 20x 
Thing to know about the bushnell is its limited Elevation Travel Adjustment and the ability to be adjusted to reach the distance you stated. At 50 it will need an additional base to help get that far out there. 

You can't go wrong with a SS, I have yet to know one person that regrets them.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/11/2010 at 09:39
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:51
Thank you.

I was leaning towards the 16x. 

Any suggestions on a rangefinder?  I live in NM, there are no set ranges around me.  Just go to the desert and set up a target.  I think I'm going to need a 4-wheeler for this sport...lol
Bang...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:58
A good pair of walking shoes will work, lol   As far as rangers, I ain't the brightest crayon in the box on that so I will let the much more knowledgable guys take that one. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 12:00
 As big a fan as I am of the SS scopes you can't go wrong with the 16x or 20x for the distance you want, that said your first choice is a variable, soooooo if you can hold off a little while SS is coming out with a 4.8-20x. Supposed to be out late spring early summer from what was said.
 You can also take a look at the Bushnel scopes with built in range finders. I think they sell in the $600-650 range.
 As far as the rifle you could not have chosen more wisely,except maybe a 12vlp either or.
froggy
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 12:54
Well, you have another problem: A decent rangefinder truly capable of getting out to 1000 is $600-1000. Also, all those things you listed that you want the scope to be able to do are generally found in optics starting just under $2K. There are a few exceptions, including the new Vortex PSTs and some of the IORs.

Personally, I found that doubling my maximum range to 1000 yards required 4 times the expense of shooting half that distance (everything from reloading equipment to spotting to a decent chronograph). My advice is max yourself out @ 500 and under with a SS 3-9X or spring $250 more for the Vortex PST 4-16, also an FFP scope. That's a great factory rifle in a decent stock so it should be fine. Get a good set of rings and a good rail. You can always sell the scope and upgrade, esp. if you decide you're serious about "getting out there."

Edited by jonoMT - March/11/2010 at 12:55
Reaction time is a factor...
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:47
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

As big a fan as I am of the SS scopes you can't go wrong with the 16x or 20x for the distance you want, that said your first choice is a variable, soooooo if you can hold off a little while SS is coming out with a 4.8-20x. Supposed to be out late spring early summer from what was said.
 You can also take a look at the Bushnel scopes with built in range finders. I think they sell in the $600-650 range.
 As far as the rifle you could not have chosen more wisely,except maybe a 12vlp either or.

What will the cost be?

What is FFP?  Why does it make a scope cost so much more?
600 yards I think will be plenty far enough for me to start with.  800-1000 is going to push the wallet to far!

I have been looking at some other rifles:
All Savage
10 BAS-K  $1524
10 BAT/S-K  $1652
I found the 10 FCP with a  HS or McM stock  HS=$900 and McM= $1100?

I am just not sure what to get....  If I get the more expensive rifle, I will get a SS scope while working on getting the funds next year for a variable.

Bang...
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:52
Not downing savages at all,  but are you open to others as well or are you set on savage?

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/11/2010 at 15:53
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:54
Also keep in mind to hole about a $100-$200 out for decent rings and a base.
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 16:54
I am putting 75-100 for rings.  I looked at the Burris Extremes $72 with 0 MOA plates.  If I stay around 500 yards I shouldn't need a canted base?  or do I?

I would be interested in other as long as the quality and customer service is the same or better.  Are you thinking Tikka?
Bang...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 17:21
TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - TPS30570
  • Low (.925")
  • Alloy Steel
  • Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny)
$69.95
Add TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings to Cart 
http://swfa.com/Savage-C2734.aspx 
If you want to be happy with the scope buy either the 3-9 or one of the 10x versions unless you really will only be shooting in full daylight.  A fixed 16 or 20 is a daylight only type scope and will start looking really grey as the sun sets.
The difference in the glass for the 3-9 and the 10 HD is truely significant.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/11/2010 at 17:24

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 17:28
As far as the rifles my first pick would be a Remmington R5 mil spec with the tactical savages running a bit behind that. Tikka is great for a hunting rig light super accurate. The savages with accutrigger are definately shooters, but the stainless R5 has special rifling 11.25 in twist rate and is set for 175 SMK or 190 SMK ultra long range work.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 17:33
Originally posted by armyhooah armyhooah wrote:

I am putting 75-100 for rings.  I looked at the Burris Extremes $72 with 0 MOA plates.  If I stay around 500 yards I shouldn't need a canted base?  or do I?

I would be interested in other as long as the quality and customer service is the same or better.  Are you thinking Tikka?

I have a Remington SPS Tactical in 308 that reaches out just fine and is a compact 20" barrel.  I hit 2 liter bottles of water with it at 500yds as long as I do my part.  It sales for around $600 new and would be a great rifle to learn with.  Some don't like the stock out the box but it aint bad.  Doing it this way you could save money for the rangefinder too.  Just something to think about..

SPS Tactical ~ $600
Rings ~ $75
Base ~ $75
SS10x,16x,20x ~$300
Rangefinder ~$800

Total ready to go to 600yds easy ~1850

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:32
 The "k" only means it has a muzzle brake, not realy needed and adds to the cost of the rifle. The model12 ss has a nice laminate stock and comes with a varmint contour barrel, not as heavy as a bull but close. It will get you out to where you want to reach and save you some $$ up front that you can use on optics. It also won't give you the tacticool look but you are looking for a shooter and that it will be.
 My personal range guns wear 20x SS scopes my hunting rifles wear variable power scopes 3-9 or 4-12, there is a difference between a hunting gun and a range gun that is normally used during daylight hours not dawn and dusk.
froggy
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:42

The "k" only means it has a muzzle brake, not realy needed and adds to the cost of the rifle. The model12 ss has a nice laminate stock and comes with a varmint contour barrel, not as heavy as a bull but close. It will get you out to where you want to reach and save you some $$ up front that you can use on optics. It also won't give you the tacticool look but you are looking for a shooter and that it will be.
 My personal range guns wear 20x SS scopes my hunting rifles wear variable power scopes 3-9 or 4-12, there is a difference between a hunting gun and a range gun that is normally used during daylight hours not dawn and dusk.

So the accuracy of 12 SS and the 10 BAS are the same?  The AR I just finished building will hold 1" groups @200 yards.  I am looking for the same if not better.  I can do my part most the time, I am new to reloading so that is a variable that needs working on.

Most of the rifles that I have, I can out shoot them.  The new AR and the one I am trying to buy are the ones that I want to have me work my skills into.  if that makes since?
Bang...
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 21:16
    I have not as of yet had a Savage that wasn't under moa @100. If you look in the picture post you will see mine and everyone of them is .5-.6 with 1 of them at .35 when I am doing my part. I do reload and when I find a load the gun likes thats it the trial and error stops and I work at tightening up my groups with different seating depths.
 I have found most Savages like .010 off the lands and lower powder charges some times mid way between top and bottom charge weights.
 If you are using this for a hunting rifle the model 12 with the laminate stocks are heavy. Remember a Savage is a switch barrel gun, for $27 you can buy a barrel nut wrench and change to almost any caliber you want for minimal cost.A good place to gather info is  www.savageshooters.com and for $12 a year there is a wealth of info for the price.
froggy
armyhooah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyhooah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 21:22
That is it my mind is made up....SAVAGE it is...

Now what model to go with?

I like the 10 bas, 10 bat/ s-k.  But are high dollar and I am not sure if the extra money is worth it to me yet.  They look good to me.

I have also thought about base: 10 FCP-K  Nothing special, accutrigger and accustock.  Simple and good.  would the McMillian and/or the HS stock make a difference over the accustock?
Bang...
Ag76 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ag76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 22:11

Is there any speculation on what the new SS 4.8-20X is going to sell for?
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 05:30

That is it my mind is made up....SAVAGE it is...

Now what model to go with?
I have also thought about base: 10 FCP-K  Nothing special, accutrigger and accustock.  Simple and good.  would the McMillian and/or the HS stock make a difference over the accustock?

Buy the least expensive one the cheaper stock is just that  cheap, but I buy mine like that and then after shooting for a while I buy the thumbhole laminate from www.stock's.com and end up with a real nice rifle. IMO.

As for the new SS I think Mr. Farris said around the same as the 3-9, but don't quote me on that it was a few months ago.

Edited by rjtfroggy - March/12/2010 at 05:32
froggy
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 07:24

What will the cost be?

What is FFP?  Why does it make a scope cost so much more?
600 yards I think will be plenty far enough for me to start with.  800-1000 is going to push the wallet to far!

I have been looking at some other rifles:
All Savage
10 BAS-K  $1524
10 BAT/S-K  $1652
I found the 10 FCP with a  HS or McM stock  HS=$900 and McM= $1100?

I am just not sure what to get....  If I get the more expensive rifle, I will get a SS scope while working on getting the funds next year for a variable.

I agree completely with jono..take this advice
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic