OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

are short mags here to stay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: are short mags here to stay
    Posted: March/11/2010 at 08:43
i ran across a remington 300 short mag and a winchester short mag.i was thinking about getting one of them. which one do you think will be better or around the longest?
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:15
The WSM was first out of the gate and it seemed the Rem SUAM never really recovered from that.  At the two local gun stores you see a fair # of guns cambered in the WSM, primarily .270 & 300.  Don't see any Rem SAUM around here.  Fair amount of ammo for the WSM.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:18
I find the short mag thing interesting.  But I shoot wussy cartridges like the 243 and 6.5 swede.  The heaviest I shoot is the 308.  Some people like the mags and if I was one I would like the short action.  I am a fan of the short action and this is really the where the short mags are marketed to.  But are they around to stay?  I do not know.  If they were military cartridges they probably would have a better chance.  Most military cartridges survive and are then necked up and down.  Somebody else here should have more insight than me though.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:20
I agree with SD. Heck, even Remington chambers more rifles in the WSM's than their own versions.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:29

I like regular ole Mags better, but its just my opinion.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:48
I've been looking at a 300 wsm.  Don't have a .30.  Want to stick with a short action.  Figured at .308 would not be much of difference from my .270 so next step up would be 300 wsm.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 10:13
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

And a good opinion it is. From a ballistic standpoint, the short mags offer nothing over their long action counterpoints. The "advantage" is a lighter/shorter overall package. Some used to argue that the short mags kicked less but IMO that's mostly BS. Of all the short mags, my favorite is the one that seems to be losing popularity more quickly, the 7 WSM.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 10:19
once again remingtons r&d dropped the ball. instead of waiting a year or two to pickup the wsm line, they proceeded to produce another waste of space. the rsaum's arent that great. the wsm's are way better imo. ive had a .300wsm and it was super accurate but in my lightweight rifle it kicked like a mule. if i were to do it over again i would have bought either the 7wsm or the .270wsm both are excellent cartridges.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 10:20
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

me too, thats why i have 3 of them right now.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 14:48
Don't even think of buying a rifle chambered for a RSAUM!  The logic behind Remington designing their own WSM clones after the fact that are slightly ballistically inferior to the WSMs escapes me.  I think the RSAUMs are one of the dumbest decisions they've ever made, and that's saying a lot, because they've concocted more than their share of commercial failures!  Based on current sales, I wouldn't be surprised if they are totally obsolete in another 5 years.  I do think some of the WSMs are here to stay, but not all of them.  I'm pretty sure the .300 WSM's future is secure.  Probably the .270 WSM as well.  I'm not so sure about the rest, though.  Like Roy, my favorite WSM is the 7.  It's a great shooting cartridge, and a very practical round that fills a legitimate niche -- flat shooting, powerful cartridge with identical ballistics to the 7 Rem Mag for short actions, with better bullet selection than the .270. I don't understand why it hasn't been more successful, given the popularity of the 7 Rem Mag and other 7mm cartridges.

Edited by RifleDude - March/11/2010 at 14:50
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:02
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I don't understand why it hasn't been more successful, given the popularity of the 7 Rem Mag and other 7mm cartridges.

That may be the reason of its slow start/lack of take off.  The .280 and 7mm RM are solid and cover a lot of ground. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:04
face it this country is a .308 diameter land, they have always done better than any other caliber. other than .223 name a caliber with more success than .308?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:12
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

That may be the reason of its slow start/lack of take off.  The .280 and 7mm RM are solid and cover a lot of ground. 

That might make sense, except the success of the .300WSM would seem to dispute that theory.  Not only is the .30-06 and .308 more popular than the .280 by far, but there are far more variations of .300 magnums than any other caliber of magnum, and yet, the .300WSM is still quite popular.

I think Pyro nailed it.  .308 caliber just dominates in this country.  I attribute that to the one - two punch of the .30-30 and .30-06.  Those two have left a lasting legacy for securing the future of .30 caliber in this country.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

face it this country is a .308 diameter land, they have always done better than any other caliber. other than .223 name a caliber with more success than .308?

That's easy.......how about some of Remington's real sucess stories like the 221 Fireball, 5 mm Rimfire, 6 mm Remington, 8 mm Remington Mag.........................man they had some real dogs.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:31
Ted, great minds think alike regarding the 7mm WSM. I have a feeling it's headed for early pastures. Heck, the new mod 70 Extreme Weather isn't even chambered for the 7 WSM. Kimber I believe dropped it as well.
Damn shame if you ask me.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:35
I know.  I LOVE the 7 Whizzum!  To me, it epitomizes short action cartridge efficiency and practicality.

Too many people just have no taste!
Ted

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:35
Agree.  We do have a love for the .30 cal rounds.  That coupled with our need for new .30 cal mags + it works explains the 300 wsm.

Trigger slap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger slap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 17:32
Gentlemen, I share your love of the Winchester, but I must voice another opinion on the 300 RSAUM. I own an Armalite ar10t magnum which is chambered in the Remington offering. These rifles were deveolped by Armalite in conjunction with the Fort Benning marksmanship team and came to be chambered in 300 RSAUM because the 300WSM brass was not robust enough to withstand the rigors of testing. This round in this rifle is outstanding and Performs flawlessly with 190 Sierra Match Kings. The Winchester chambering may be more versatile, but the 300 RSAUM is far from worthless.
How can we call it unalienable when we allow it to be suspended revoked or restricted?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 18:02
Originally posted by Trigger slap Trigger slap wrote:

Gentlemen, I share your love of the Winchester, but I must voice another opinion on the 300 RSAUM. I own an Armalite ar10t magnum which is chambered in the Remington offering. These rifles were deveolped by Armalite in conjunction with the Fort Benning marksmanship team and came to be chambered in 300 RSAUM because the 300WSM brass was not robust enough to withstand the rigors of testing. This round in this rifle is outstanding and Performs flawlessly with 190 Sierra Match Kings. The Winchester chambering may be more versatile, but the 300 RSAUM is far from worthless.

really? why did remington quit making them and start chambering the wsm's then?? thats a pretty good indication that the rsaums suck if there own parent company gives up on them.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trigger slap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger slap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 18:13

Strike a nerve did I?Hiding
How can we call it unalienable when we allow it to be suspended revoked or restricted?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic