OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swarovski
    Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:43
What are the differences in the Z5 and Z6? 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:46
Z5 = 5X zoom ratio (ex:  5-25X), 1" main tube.

Z6 = 6X zoom ratio (ex:  2-12X), 30mm main tube, illuminated reticle models available.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 06:07
Is the glass the same?  I was thinking I was going to get a Z6 but that 3.5-18x44 Z5 looks pretty versatile. 
Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 08:25
Originally posted by brav302 brav302 wrote:

Is the glass the same?  I was thinking I was going to get a Z6 but that 3.5-18x44 Z5 looks pretty versatile. 

I'm using a newly acquired Z5 35.-18x44 on my Cooper MTV and like it a lot. If I had it to do over again I'd probably not go with the BT, but otherwise I'm very pleased with the scope. The group below is a 10 shot group at 100 yards, Swaro at 18x, wind from the left at 10 gusting 16. I was using factory Federal 39 SBK's just to use them up.

.204 Because Speed Kills
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 09:23
Originally posted by Quoddy Quoddy wrote:

I'm using a newly acquired Z5 35.-18x44 on my Cooper MTV and like it a lot. If I had it to do over again I'd probably not go with the BT, but otherwise I'm very pleased with the scope. The group below is a 10 shot group at 100 yards, Swaro at 18x, wind from the left at 10 gusting 16. I was using factory Federal 39 SBK's just to use them up.

Why don't you like the BT?
pcrage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 11:01
limited selection in the z-5's versus the 6's... no low mag z5 model just yet. 

Not sure on glass.  I have a 5, a 6 and two A-lines (entry level) and all are superb glass...cannot tell much difference to be honest....

Quoddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quoddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 12:09
I thought that the Ballistic Turret would be really helpful, but it didn't take long to memorize the number of clicks for each bullet and distance. I happen to have a very tight turret which was very difficult to open to make elevation adjustments. I say was, because it's slowly getting better. Anyway, for my purposes a BRX, or even a straight Plex reticle, would probably have worked out better and faster. Also... I'm seldom using the lower power and probably would have been better off with a 5-25x52 since I'm geared more toward bench shooting. I was trying to keep the scope as low as possible and let that influence me. Don't get me wrong, I really like the scope now that I'm zeroed and have no thoughts of changing it in the near future.
.204 Because Speed Kills
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 13:41
Originally posted by Quoddy Quoddy wrote:

Good shooting, John!  That's the way Coopers are supposed to shoot!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 13:47

Yes, glass and coatings are the same.  I haven't looked at a Z5 yet, but one of the things I like best about the Z6 series (I have a 1.7-10X42 Z6i), is they have very expansive, forgiving "eye boxes," so they are very easy to get behind.  Also, they have no tunnel vision whatsoever, even at the lowest power, so you barely see the periphery of the ocular housing when you look through them.  It also has a very wide field of view, and a huge sweet spot.
Ted

brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 18:05
Thanks for all the info.  I'm thinking 5 is too strong on the low side and I want something a little stronger that 10 on the high thats why I was leaning towards the 3.5-18.  Although something like 2-12 or 14 would be the ticket, I think.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 19:52
the amazing z6  gets its sex appeal in the low power range, not the high, where nothing comes close to the fov and distortion free at the edges, In the higher powers however it really doesn't come up to some of its competition, and falls short as far as reticle choice and turrets, (plastic at that).
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Yes, glass and coatings are the same.  I haven't looked at a Z5 yet, but one of the things I like best about the Z6 series (I have a 1.7-10X42 Z6i), is they have very expansive, forgiving "eye boxes," so they are very easy to get behind.  Also, they have no tunnel vision whatsoever, even at the lowest power, so you barely see the periphery of the ocular housing when you look through them.  It also has a very wide field of view, and a huge sweet spot.
sounds like LEUPOLD
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:41
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the amazing z6  gets its sex appeal in the low power range, not the high, where nothing comes close to the fov and distortion free at the edges, In the higher powers however it really doesn't come up to some of its competition, and falls short as far as reticle choice and turrets, (plastic at that).

Would this be a better choice?
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 15:25
Originally posted by pcrage pcrage wrote:

limited selection in the z-5's versus the 6's... no low mag z5 model just yet. 

Not sure on glass.  I have a 5, a 6 and two A-lines (entry level) and all are superb glass...cannot tell much difference to be honest....

FWIW, in December of 2009, I contacted Swarovski and asked them about the glass between the Z5 and the AV lines.  They said the glass was the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic