OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any good news for BSA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any good news for BSA
    Posted: March/10/2010 at 11:50

Brand new to the forum and have already reaped the benefits of such knowlegable individuals but have a question......

Just got into shooting with more modern weapons (have a Garand, Mauser, Nagant, etc). Bought the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 as I only am punching paper. In terms of optics, I went with the BSA Contender 6x24x40 with the mil dot reticle. I really want to get into ranging and learning the whole mil process. Sure enough, a week after my purchase, I really did some hardcore researching into quality optics and the like and got the ever dreaded "I just bought a piece of crap" feeling in my stomach.

My question is, being as this is my first scope, do I stick with it and learn and eventually upgrade, or try to unload the BSA now while its new and go for something like the Super Sniper 10 or 16X?

So far I've tried to contact BSA for confirmation on which magnification their mil dots are calibrated for as it does not say it anywhere on the scope or in the literature. Two emails and voicemails and still nothing. I know the standard is the max power but haven't been back to the range yet to confirm. Customer service = failed

Appreciate the input.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 11:58
Personally, if I could unload it I would and get the SS and never look back.  As far as what range it works on It maybe that its set at 10x for ranging? I dont know?  I have a BSA and its ok, but its nothing compared to the quality and reliability of the SS.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 13:31
Originally posted by Longball Longball wrote:

Brand new to the forum and have already reaped the benefits of such knowlegable individuals but have a question......

Just got into shooting with more modern weapons (have a Garand, Mauser, Nagant, etc). Bought the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223 as I only am punching paper. In terms of optics, I went with the BSA Contender 6x24x40 with the mil dot reticle. I really want to get into ranging and learning the whole mil process. Sure enough, a week after my purchase, I really did some hardcore researching into quality optics and the like and got the ever dreaded "I just bought a piece of crap" feeling in my stomach.

My question is, being as this is my first scope, do I stick with it and learn and eventually upgrade, or try to unload the BSA now while its new and go for something like the Super Sniper 10 or 16X?

So far I've tried to contact BSA for confirmation on which magnification their mil dots are calibrated for as it does not say it anywhere on the scope or in the literature. Two emails and voicemails and still nothing. I know the standard is the max power but haven't been back to the range yet to confirm. Customer service = failed

Appreciate the input.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Longball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 18:48
Just the info I needed...thanks Kickboxer
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 19:24
Originally posted by Longball Longball wrote:

Just the info I needed...thanks Kickboxer

You are welcome...
Always glad to help...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 19:31
You should be able to unload the BSA on ebay, or perhaps even fill out the form from SWFA and get a little trade in towards a nicer scope. Thunbs Up

It's not that the BSA is a total waste, their quality control is a bit lacking though. No 2 of their scopes I've ever looked through have really looked the same. If you got a good one, you got lucky. If you're able to make tight groups with it and are happy, keep it. If you aren't happy, there is a lot to be found here including reviews by price range and such. Some of the guys here seem to do nothing but study scopes and they really help the rest of us.

As it's your first scope you likely don't have much to compare it to, but if you get a chance at the range or something, see if you can take a look through something else.

I'll go ahead and start by asking a couple of the usual questions. How far out do you plan on shooting? How much are wanting to spend?

If your budget is tight, the Vortex that is on sale at $99 has been suggested a bit. "It's on back order but it's a sweet deal on a good scope"

Like I said, if you're happy with what you have and the results when you shoot, don't change a thing. There's always gunna be something newer, brighter, better etc.

Welcome aboard.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Longball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:06
My local range is up to 300 yards. I just got the Remington and have only fired some UMC through it. I was able to get about a two inch group. I have some match ammo I am going to try this weekend and see the difference. As far as price, I don't have a problem with the $300 for an SS. That seems like a reasonable "first scope" price, as I'd hate for the optics to be the limiting factor on a 700. I only had the rig out to the range once so far so it might be too early to tell in regards to the BSA's success, but I'm kicking myself because for another $150 I could get take a relatively large jump (so I've heard) in quality.
I think it deserves another session then I'll make a decision. Thanks
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 05:29
 I have had 3 BSA scopes. 2 were just plain garbage. Neither were clear and one was as if the glass was smudged on the inside, and the other would not hold zero on my 22lr. The third one is an older cats eye 1.5-5 and it sits on my muzzle loader, glass is crystal clear, it holds up to the recoil, so there it stays for the amount of time it gets used it is fine.
 BSA customer service leaves a lot to be desiered, nothing compared to SWFA'S so if it were me I would consider a change, if only for paper I would go with the 16x SS, fill out the trade in form and email back, nothing to lose by trying.
froggy
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 11:50
I could dance naked around the rifle, sacrifice a chicken, and still not get a 2 inch group at 300 yards.  Head Banger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 11:51
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I could dance naked around the rifle, sacrifice a chicken, and still not get a 2 inch group at 300 yards.  Head Banger

You could have been out of breathe and shaking from dancing and were pulling, sure it was the scope? Bucky
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Longball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 13:18

Mistake on my part, that group came at 200 yards not 300......

Keep on dancing!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 13:59
The "good news" for BSA is this...
They can ONLY get better! :)

Welcome to The OT Longball.

Neilbilly....your a trip, Dude!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 16:38
2 inches at 200 yards is still a nice group in my book. If all the birds are tweeting just right and it's a good day I can do that. "not everyday, but once in a while"

Oh and SVT....  I get winded just walking back and forth to change targets at 100 yards. The naked accuracy ritual has to be done the night before.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic