OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Biggest scopes? Is it Millett LRS? (resolved)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest scopes? Is it Millett LRS? (resolved)
    Posted: March/09/2010 at 17:48
Hello from Maine :)

I've long been interested in giant scopes, it's a funny interest I suppose :)

I'm eying the Millett LRS :

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/

Is it the biggest ?

Is it good ?

Craig

Edited by spystyle - March/11/2010 at 14:56
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 14:28
We call "The Baseball Bat" around here.  lol

This Zeiss is pretty large too.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 15:17
ATN makes an 8-24x75... probably slightly below the quality of the Zeiss/Hensoldt 6-24x72.  I think Zeiss has better glass..
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 16:16
Slightly below.  lol.  The 3 ATNs I tried were three of the crappiest scopes I ever owned.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 18:03
Thanks for the replies fellas :) The Millett LRS-1 pushes my budget to the breaking point, but I can actually buy it.

Is it a good value?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 19:55
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Slightly below.  lol.  The 3 ATNs I tried were three of the crappiest scopes I ever owned.  
You just didn't try enough.  Took six before I got one that worked... It was decent and well worth what I ended up paying for it after all the hassles... 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:00
I hear nothing good about ATN, it should work on the first try or be priced low :)

High price and poor quality control is a screwy combination :)

Edited by spystyle - March/10/2010 at 20:11
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:05
No doubt, when one has to go through six scopes to find one that works properly, there is a serious quality problem.  I kept and used the last one for quite a few years.  Paid less than half price for it.  It was worth the money.  When I wasn't night hunting raccoons with it, I could use it for interplanetary exploration. 
I finally gave it to a friend... I believe it has worked well for him. 

spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:12
Has anyone here tried the Millett LRS-1 ?

http://swfa.com/Millett-6-25x56-LRS-1-Tactical-35mm-Riflescope-P11275.aspx

Edited by spystyle - March/10/2010 at 20:14
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:13
They have good customer service...

spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:15
I wonder if it's the best "big scope" for it's price of $440 ?
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 14:58
OK fellas, thanks for the input - In the end I found a Millett Buck Gold, 6-25x56mm, side focus, duplex, with cheap rings, for $210 delivered.

As shown here :

http://swfa.com/Millett-6-25x56-Buck-Gold-30mm-Riflescope-P9248.aspx

I would assume the scope is similar to the LRS-1, similar enough anyway :) We'll see how it goes.

Happy shooting,
Craig

KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 22:26
Hello

the LRS is designed as what the name implies LONG RANGE SCOPE, it has 140moa of elevation so you will be able to reach way out there.   its 35mm tube and very strong, works well on the 50 cal. 

There are other 35mm scopes out there but for the money the LRS is a real value.  

Good shooting

Steve
Millett/Bushnell
Steve
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 22:44
Steve from Millett !!!
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 23:46
HI

thats me.  

Still designing stuff for Millett/Bushnell, I will be at the NRA convention.   Hope to see you guys there

Steve
Steve
S197 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 04:47
I have an LRS on a .50bmg, well had it on the gun, right now its back in the box i pulled it out of, it wouldnt hold zero, would not adjust properly, and now there are little bits of "god knows what" on the lense inside the scope, gotta call SWFA as soon as i get some time away from work and see what they can do for me. took me 3 months to finally get out to shoot the big guy and this happens.  
"He was one of God's own prototypes: a high-powered mutant never even considered for mass-production. Too weird to live, too rare to die."
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2010 at 09:23
Hello

Sorry you had a problem with your Millett LRS, it was designed to withstand the recoil of the 50.  But as with all the scopes out there, the 50BMG is hard on scopes, period.   I have seen scope that cost 3x as much as the Millett fail.  It can happen with any optic.

Bushnell will take care of you and replace or repair the scope. 

If there is a problem email me and I will see what I can do  to help.

Steve

Millett/ Bushnell
Steve
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 11:01
Does millett charge for warranty return shipping?
KB0WZL View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB0WZL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2010 at 23:40
HI

you need to ship to Bushnell, if warranty they pay the return. 

Thanks

Steve
Steve
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2010 at 17:17
OK here it is, my biggest scope on my smallest rifle.

Savage Mark 2, 22lr, with Millet Buck Gold 6~25X56mm scope :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic