OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Slug Gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlboroninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Slug Gun
    Posted: September/14/2005 at 10:09

I am interested in purchasing a scope for a Remington 11-87 Sporstman Cantilever. 

What is the difference between the Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 (#LEU56550) and the Leupold Shotgun VX-I 2-7x33 (#LEU58800)?  Is the difference just the reticle or is the shotgun model more rugged?  Leupld does not offer the Wide Duplex nor the Duplex in their VX-I shotgun model.  Nor do they offer the Heavy Duplex in their VX-I rifle scope line. I'm just wondering if the shotgun model is built specifically for shotguns and the regular VX-I is built only for rifles.  In general, are either of these two scopes built rugged enough to withstand repeated shots from a 3" 12 guage slug without being knocked off sight or being damaged?

Is it worth $100 to upgrade from the VX-I to the VX-II? 

Will 4.2 inches at 2x and 3.8 inches at 7x of eye relief be sufficient for shooting 3" magnum slugs? 

All this being said, should I consider purchasing a fixed power scope such as the Leupold 4x33 or 6x36? 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2005 at 19:27
The main difference between reticles in the supposed shotgun or slug guns is that they are wider for "faster" acquistion. Your 11-87 will develop about 15-25 ft./lbs (about a 300 mag) of recoil well within the design of the scopes. but it is really recoil velocity that tears up scopes. This is why large cal. handguns are harder on scopes. Make sure your 11-87 has the monte carlo cheek or you will have trouble lining up with the crosshairs to get good groups. I use a scout mount on my 11-87 and a 2x Leo. This places the scope in front of the receiver, which in two piece guns is never on center with the bore line of the barrel. Also the cantilever will vibrate. (If you want a rifle type scope mount you should maybe think about the sleeve type B-Square that fits over the receiver). I use the gun in steel type IPSC events. If you use Wolf 2 3/4 slugs the savings you will receive ($2 a box) will give enough for plenty of practice. The 11-87 will place 9 slugs, a magazine, into a 8" target at 50 yds. off hand. iF  you are getting the rifled barrel, it will be far more accurate even at 100 with saboted Nosler or Hornady. This means that your scope selection is even more important, however 7 power is a bit high and the cantilever may not give you a return to zero after each shot. If you have ever shot a benched a caliber above 375 you know what I mean. I would go somewhere around 1x5. You will be suprized how fast the semi-auto is on 2nd and 3rd. shots even with scope. 
marlboroninja View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlboroninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 14:48

This particular Remingtion Model 11-87 has the Monte Carlo style stock.  However, if this style stock doesn't prove to be high enough I may look into purchasing a cheek riser that straps to the stock.

The cantilever will viberate?  I was under the impression that the B-Square type scope mounts were more prone to throw off the alignment of the scope with the bore becuase it wasn't attached to the barrel itself.

The barrel is rifled and I plan to shoot sabot slugs. 

Dale Clifford wrote - "However 7 power is a bit high and the cantilever may not give you a return to zero after each shot."  Do you mean that after the shot the scope will not be on sight because of the cantilever mount or do you mean when I go to take the second shot that because the 7X scope is on a cantilver mount I will have recenter the cross hairs on the target before shooting?

Thanks for your comments.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2005 at 10:15
Saddle mounts like B-Square and the one offered by the Remington catalog (probably made by S-square) are rarely "square" with the receiver and while giving a snug fit their is a poi difference in theory. However do to the 2-3 inch groups common in slug shooting and the distance usually 50 yds, the difference the effect of the mount on the combination is hardly noticable, and one doesn't know if the s.d. is in the mount or the load. Cantilver mounts are attached to the barrel and in theory, remove this problem, however they vibrate.The question then, do they stop the vibration before the next shot and if so is the POA the same as previous shots? I don't think so. A bolt slug gun with a good sabot loads will shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards. A semi-auto with rifling rarely does this. Movement of the barrel in the receiver, movement of the mount, and the random error in the loads. The cantilever devices move the mount back towards the shooter duplicating a rifle, which is probably more natural to the largest majority of shooters. If the time requirement between shots in not critical this is probably a good choice and a higher power scope is certainly a consideration (although not mine).  If the time requirement between shots is the most critical aspect a forward mount (scout is necessary). Milllet makes a fairly simple straight forward rib mounts that works quite well despite it's cheezy allen set screws. (works best if you slightly notch the rib giving the set screws more "bite" and use blue lock tite). Standard iron site deer slugs sights work just as well and a good set of Tactical shot gun sites work even better, (Optical fiber sites especially the new one by HVIZ used for turkey hunting having a rear receiver double dot (the sight picture is more like a pistol), is extremely low profile and is amazing-have one set up on an 11-87 and the black lock tight has lasted 2 yrs so far which is even more amazing considering no screws). However none are as "fast" as a good "scout" or forward mount set up. When testing, using electronic clocks on 8 in steel targets at 50 yds. many times (ave. times on 25 runs and different course set ups) the scout set up allows target alignment when the shooter is still slightly off center (still running) better than any other set up. Hopefull in all this you will find something specific for your use.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2005 at 14:51
If you want to compare a good slug gun scope, especially for the price, to the Leupolds, try a Weaver V3.  I have used one on my H&R Single shot for a number of years and it is very effective for it's intended  purpose,i.e., short range running shots or shots up to 125 yards ( my self-imposed max for standing game). If I do not change ammo. I do not need to adjust it as it holds up to the recoil.
valleypine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleypine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2005 at 10:45
[QUOTE=marlboroninja]

This particular Remingtion Model 11-87 has the Monte Carlo style stock.  However, if this style stock doesn't prove to be high enough I may look into purchasing a cheek riser that straps to the stock.

The stock won't be high enough. I've got a Monte Carlo stock on my 870 Special Purpose Deer Gun and a cantilevered fully rifled deer barrel. The cantilever is too high above the barrel for a good cheek weld, even with the Monte Carlo stock. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic