OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need some help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help
    Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:20
I need a new rifle and Im looking for some opinions.  I'm trying to keep it under $600 (already bought the scope from SWFA...great deal by the way).  All I've ever shot are Model 70's, so I don't know as much about the other brands out there.  I don't think I can go wrong with the Remmy or Browning.  I'm not sure about the quality of the new Model 70's.  Here's what I'm looking at so far (all 308 win):

Remington Model 798 NIB.  $470. I like the Mauser 98 action, but I'm curious about the quality of the barrels.

Remington SPS  $600 +/-

Browning Compostie Stalker. $600

Marlin XS7  $300

Model 70 Syn-blued  $600 +/-

I'm up for any ideas or suggestions.  Thanks.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:22
You looking for a hunting rig or range king?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:25
if you like m70's i wouldnt advise you to go to remington, unless you want to buy an aftermarket three position safety. i had a hard time transitioning from the m70 to m700. im ok now, but still own both. i really like browning rifles too, i have had 2 of them now and really like them. the new m70's are actually very nice, they went back to a controlled push feed like the pre 64's had. the 798 i believe were made for remington by a company in serbia.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 13:22
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

You looking for a hunting rig or range king?

It'll be a hunting rig.  I'm leaning towards a synthetic stock cause I hate dinging up a nice wood stock, but on the other hand, I'm having a hard time buying a plactic gun.  Nothing wrong with them, just not what I prefer.

Pyro -- I agree with you on the 3 position safety.  That's the big thing from keeping me from buying a Remington.  It's probably nothing I can't used too though.
I found a Custom Mauser 98 on a web auction with a Bueller safety ($625).  It looks like it's in decent shape.  I'm not sure what a Bueller safety is.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 13:56
im not saying that the remington safety is bad, its just different from what you would be used to.it takes a little range time to learn to deal with it, but its not a big thing.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 14:13
Don't know how your Walmarts are in your area but we have several Winchesters and Remingtons in our Walmart for less than $500.00 and they would make fine hunting rigs.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 14:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

im not saying that the remington safety is bad, its just different from what you would be used to.it takes a little range time to learn to deal with it, but its not a big thing.

I know what you're saying.  I'm like you...I prefer the 3 stage safety.

SVT -- I don't know if the Walmarts around here sell guns.  I know they don't have displays up anymore, so I figured they quit selling them.  I'm going to check out a few of the small shops around here to see what they have.  I'm getting tired of dealing with the bigger outfits...they're pretty slow on call-backs.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 14:43
Well, good luck with the hunt my friend, keep us up to date on what you find. 

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/08/2010 at 14:43
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 14:58
Will do.

Thanks for your help guys.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 15:14
Savage is making one hellaof rifle right now to!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 16:39
I've been disappointed with my last few Remmy's. My last two and a buddy's last one have been sold off. I do like the Browning X-bolts and had a 300 WSM. It was light and handled very well. The trigger was very good too. Some don't like the Euro styling though. The TC Icons may also deserve a look-see but are more pricey. For a more value level, Tikkas are loved by many and usually shoot well. They do have some polymer parts though (such as the magazine). Howa's / Weatherby Vanguards and the Marlin are solid as well. Finally, the two new (Columbia) Win 70's I just looked at were pretty nice. Lots-o-choices out there.  Yippee
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 16:49
I have a Smith and Wesson IBolt in .30-06 that I recently purchased. It is a plastic stock and feels a little cheap, but the gun uses a Thompson barrel. It's well within your price range and shoots really well. "groups tighter than my old Remington 788 .308"

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763/products_id/50675

I've bought several guns from Bud's and their service and prices are very good.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 17:19

Sako A7's on gunbroker are in your range and Tikka T3 lites are in that range also. I have had a couple of their products and both shot incredible.............especially for the money !! My Tikka T3 stainless .270wsm was bought for $499 and shot under moa !

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 17:26
Didn't pay enough attention to your all .308's  Any reason for the dedication to that caliber? "I have 2 and love them both" If it's a real world thing like you already have a lot of shells or reloading dyes it's totally understandable. I don't hand load, and wanted more options in bullets so I went with the .30-06

Hope you're happy with whatever you end-up with.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 18:13

Of the rifles listed, I like the browning the best, the 60deg. bolt is very nice.  I also think the a7 should be looked at.  I haven't handled one, but they look very intriguing.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 18:14
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Didn't pay enough attention to your all .308's  Any reason for the dedication to that caliber? "I have 2 and love them both" If it's a real world thing like you already have a lot of shells or reloading dyes it's totally understandable. I don't hand load, and wanted more options in bullets so I went with the .30-06

Hope you're happy with whatever you end-up with.

I already have a .243 & .25-06, so I wanted something with a little more punch, with lower recoil, and a good variety of ammo...plus I've always wanted one.  I thought about a .30-06, but I'm pretty much set on the .308.  I'm not in a big rush to get anything, so I'm trying to take my time and find the best deal.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 18:54
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Of the rifles listed, I like the browning the best, the 60deg. bolt is very nice.  I also think the a7 should be looked at.  I haven't handled one, but they look very intriguing.

I like the Brownings too.  The X-Bolt is really nice, but a little out of my price range.  I'm not familiar with the a7.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 18:55
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Agree.  Was looking at a Savage with the accu-stock.  Didn't have one on the shelf, but ordered was $600.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 19:19
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Agree.  Was looking at a Savage with the accu-stock.  Didn't have one on the shelf, but ordered was $600.

I've looked at a few Savages too.  I don't know much about them but they seem like a solid rig.

Does anyone know anything about the Remington 798's?  I found one new-in-box for under $500.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 05:11
 The only rifles in my safe right now are Savages, except for one lonely model 336. The one thing I am sure of dollar for dollar Savage's out of the box accuracy can't be beat. I have used both synthetic and laminate stocks and accuracy is always around .75@100 to start.
froggy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic