OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Parallax and Rimfires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thwackkk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parallax and Rimfires
    Posted: March/08/2010 at 07:38
Im looking for a scope to go on top of a 22lr which will be used almost totally at night, with subs, from 10-70yards.

Ive always owned AO scopes that could focus down to the very close ranges, but id like to broaden my choice a bit when purchasing this new scope.

My question therefore is, will a scope set to a 100yrd parallax still work on a rimfire shooting as close as 10 yards???

Scopes i am considering with 100yrd parallax include:

Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40 and 2.5-10x50 (V-brite Illuminated Reticle) $140-$160
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 and 3.5-10x50 (Dead Hold BDC) $200-$250
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44 (Ballistic X) $150

Scopes im considering with 50yrd parallax include:

Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 Rimfire $115
Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire $180
Weaver Classic Rimfire 3-9x32 $220
Weaver 40/44 3-9x40 Shotgun/Muzzleloader (Ballistic X) $135

Scopes im considering with AO include:

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO (Dead Hold BDC) $300
Weaver 40/44 4-12x44AO (Ballistic X) $170

Please give me your opinions on what i should look at more closely....at the moment im leaning towards the Weaver 40/44 3-9x40 as I like the reticle, the price is very affordable, and I have always had great service from Weaver (but then again ive always owned Classic V16s, which are obviously a big step up in quality and price). 
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:16
It depends on the level of accuracy that you are looking for.
With the magnification given (nothing higher then a 10X) you should be able to hit a .22 case at 10yds(if the rifle is up to it.) even with a scope parallax free at 100yds.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 22:23
Parallax is mainly an issue when you are doing fine target shooting and the shorter the range the more noticeable parallax errors become. Using a scope set to 100yrds will just make that problem worse. Anyway getting back to your list... In my opinion the best scope on you list is the Weaver RV9 Classic Rimfire 3-9x32 $220 which BTW has an adjustable objective. It's a darn good little scope. If you don't want AO then I'd look at a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 or maybe a Sightron S1 3-9x32 Rimfire. I only know the S1 Rimfire by reputation but I'm guessing it's about on par with the RV7.

An RV9 on one of my custom 10/22s.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 08:43
http://swfa.com/Redfield-2-7x33-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44466.aspx I just bought one of these to try and so far it has been great......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2010 at 16:45
The O.P. hasn't been around since 3/9, but I'll add this. The 100 yard parallax has never been a problem on rim fires or air guns for me. I use both big game and AO scopes on rim fire and springers.
Ten yards should be no problem on mice. I've done it under the bird feeders. Flies are a different matter. I have found when shooting at very small targets an AO with a fast focus eye piece is needed.

Doug
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 22:05
They will work but your image will be a little out of focus.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2010 at 22:08
What ya spot lighting?
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 11:08

for night time i dont see why you would need any power above a 3.  Look at some Weaver, Nikon, Leupold rimfires(parallax preset to 50-70 yards).

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 13:43
The problem I have at night with the Leupolds, nice as they are, the thin reticle is not very good in low light.

Doug
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 15:11
hey if ur shootn coons at night. maybe a red dot
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 15:55
I have a fine duplex Leupold in an EFR. If I use artificial light it works OK.

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic