OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pick my Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick my Scope
    Posted: March/08/2010 at 05:50
I am looking for a scope to pair with a Rem 700 SPS tactical.  Keep in mind that this is for casual range work and possible SHTF stuff.

Bushnell 3-12x44 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope (mil dot and FFP illuminated)

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope (rear focus or side focus)

Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope (illum)..I am leaning this way

Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

Edited by army_eod - March/08/2010 at 05:51
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 07:21
On my SPS Tactical 308 I have a bushnell 3200 10x40, and love it.  If its just a range rifle and casual shooting, and not hunting, the Super Sniper 10x would be hard to beat, My 10xSS may very well end up on it in the end but just started testing the bushnell on it.  I believe there is a "KILLER" deal on a Super Sniper 10x HD! in teh optics for sale thread and for the price and from the individual selling it, you wouldn't find a better deal or a more honest seller.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 09:31
I would personally get the Viper out of those choices. 
Good Luck.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 09:39
What is your budget?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 11:58
Why not the S.S. 3x9? FFP, mil adjustments, and an excellent track record. The Viper's seem to be gathering a lot of interest, but IMO, I don't want to be the test dummy on them. I don't have any problems with my 10x42 S.S., but all your other choices were variables. And on the Weaver and the Bushnell, if you ever decide to get into longer range shooting with your SPS, you will probably disappointed in the amount of internal adjustment. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:17
For me it would be between the SS 3-9 and the Vortex. Depends on whether you need illumination or not...not much magnification difference. I wouldn't be worried about Vortex regarding reliability. Bear in mind though that while they are the same price, the SS 3-9 is an FFP scope while you have to move to the Vortex PST 4-16 to get FFP (and pay another $250). With the 2.5-10 you can only practically range on 10X.
Reaction time is a factor...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:20
both companies offer excellent cs as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:32
Maybe I will look at the SS 3x9.  I am thinking of more magnification.  I know the SS 10X is worthy, I have owned them.  
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 16:23
Well I just ordered the good old SS 10X rear focus and TPS steel 20 MOA base.   Done deal.

Niccolo Machiavelli
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 16:30
Congrats on your purchase, be sure to get us some pictures uploaded and a range report.  Enjoy!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 16:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Congrats on your purchase, be sure to get us some pictures uploaded and a range report.  Enjoy!

Yep...pix up when I get everything in and built.  Some of the guys on this site have seen my other attempts at this...LOL

Niccolo Machiavelli
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 19:57
Good to see you back here, Bomb Guy.  
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 20:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Good to see you back here, Bomb Guy.  

And darn glad to be back, Cheaptrick (one of my favorite bands BTW)

Niccolo Machiavelli
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 20:56
Welcome back.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 21:05
Thanks guys...I got the SS 10X in today.  I ordered the shade, scope dope and sun shade today.  The SPS Tactical should be here in about a week.  Also waiting on a Timney trigger in case the stock trigger won't cut it.  I am using steel TPS rings and base.

I will have pics up when I get her built.

Niccolo Machiavelli
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 10:42
I think you'll enjoy the SPS Tactical.  I bedded mine in a McMillan and took the trigger down a bit.  I was planning on a rebarrel, but the darn thing shoots right at 1/2MOA, so there is a bit of a mental struggle going on here on putting that off a while.

I definitely didn't like the stock, so mine was off and sold before the rifle ever saw a round down the tube.  YMMV.

Good luck.
Blackbird97 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2010 at 11:32
Originally posted by army_eod army_eod wrote:

Well I just ordered the good old SS 10X rear focus and TPS steel 20 MOA base.   Done deal.

Great choice! I just picked up my SS about a month ago, so far, I love it!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic