OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Joffe Gong Challenge.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Joffe Gong Challenge.
    Posted: March/08/2010 at 03:57
On Sat 6 march the jaffe Gong Challenge was held near the picturesque town of Robertson. This town lies about 300km east of Cape Town, with vineyards and fruit orchards the order of the day.

Looking back from the range towards town:

The day broke with a heavy mist and slightly cooler then the 33 Centigrade prdicted.
The early morning crowd:

The format was 4 lanes set up with 4 inch and 8 inch gongs. The 4 incn counted for 2 the 8 for 1. The shooter could choose the gong.

The first lane was set out at 150, 175, 190, 200 and 210 m. Position prone.
I shot full marks on this one.

Next up a lane with unknown distances.  but the distances was judged at 220 200 260 190 and 210. I missed the furthest on, but put it down to misreading the distance. Big mistake, but more about this later.
Position, sitting in a shooting chair.

Next up came the lane with gongs at 125 150 175 200 and 225. I missed the 175 and 200.

Position prone over an artificial ant hill.

Lastly the lane with gongs at 150 200 250 300 and 350. Position sitting with sandbags.
Again I missed everything from 250 onwards. I was really angry with myself at this stage. The shoot was easy. I felt comfortable throughout and should have had full scores or close to that. In the end only 1 person had full score. I came in with a dismall 19/28, placing me about 15 out of 65 contestants.

So what went wrong???
See "Discussion on Gong Challenge" Thread

Edited by 8shots - March/08/2010 at 05:11
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 07:25
Looks like a fun event, thanks for sharing the pictures and event coverage.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic