OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex StrikeFire vs. Bushnell Tac Elite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asu11nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex StrikeFire vs. Bushnell Tac Elite
    Posted: March/07/2010 at 20:23
Hey guys.  I hope this is an appropriate post, I know how all forums have their own niche rules and such, but I didn't see anything that seemed like this would be out of place. 

Just got a new M4 and I've decided I just want a red dot on it.  I mostly just want it for shooting around at the range/with friends, and small game. Though, potentially something larger one day, depending on how I feel about the improved effectiveness of 75 grain broadsides.  I know that's a little off target, but I figured some context would help.  All my other rifles have always been bolt-action game rifles, and thus had only scopes on them, so I sort of feel like a fish out of water here.

The only red dots I have had experience with are the eotech on my dad's M4 and G36k, and a HALOsight(I think, it's been a few years) on his old USP before the dept. switched carry weapons. But, I just can't justify spending that kind of money on one right now.

I've been reading around, and I think I've narrowed my choice down to just two options.  The Vortex Strike Fire and the Bushnell Tactical Elite.  I like that the vortex has an optional 2x screw on and flip-up lens caps.  But, those two pros are what I've seen the StrikeFire's cons come from as well.  Supposedly the 2x lens is sometimes fuzzy, and I've seen reports that the lens caps are not good fits.  The Bushnell's T-dot seems like it could be really nice, though I'm hesitant to jump to a new dot, especially when there seems to have been a rash of them that were not level.

The additional features of the Strike Fire make me like it a bit more, but both seem to have about the same positive reviews with the occasional negative mixed in.

Sorry if this seems a little disjointed, I was quite sure how to phrase it all together.  I'm open to other suggestions too, though I'd like to keep it in the sub-$175 range. I know I'm forgetting somethign I wanted to add in, but it's slipped my mind for the moment.

Anyways, thanks ahead of time, I like the look of this forum after browsing around, hopefully I'll be able to come here for all my needs :)
If rugby were easy, they'd call it soccer.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 20:34

Aimpoint's electronic reflex sights are manufactured using a unique patented double front lens which eliminates the parallax error inherent in other red dot sights. This feature allows the shooter to get on target more quickly and shoot more accurately, because the dot does not need to be centered inside the sight; if the dot is on it, then you will hit it.

Aimpoints EOtechs and Trijicons seem to work well my favorite is the compact ACOG Trijicon.
Some of the other guys here have had the ones you are talking about but I personally would not buy one I'd look for something on Samplelist or use a traditional optic If I couldnt afford the Aimpoint. http://www.samplelist.com/Aimpoint-CompM2-Red-Dot-Sight-AAFES-Kit-DEMO-B-P425.aspx

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 21:31
While my heart goes for the EoTech and Aimpoint, I understand your concern for something more economical. I would opt for the Vortex StrikeFire, and a decent buis ( MidWest Ind, A.R.M.S. , or YHM flip-up variety).
  What kind of M-4 did you go with?

Edited by HuntMaster - March/07/2010 at 21:32
asu11nick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asu11nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 15:48
Thanks HuntMaster.  I ordered one from CMMG.  16" barrel with a 1/7 twist.  I was a little hesitant throughout the whole process, sometimes it seems like there's a lot more you have to worry about with the AR/M4 but 1/7 twist seems to be what everyone suggests so that the gun will behave best with .223 AND 5.56. Hopefully I read it all right.  
If rugby were easy, they'd call it soccer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic