OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

die parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: die parts
    Posted: March/07/2010 at 19:35
i dont suppose any of you have a spare stem and expanderball for an rcbs 22-250fl die?? mine some how ended up bent and the ball split on the collar where it threads on the stem. dont ask me how ive never seen that happen before.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 02:38
Call RCBS and they will send you a new one....FREE. Their CS is outstanding.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 05:35
 Actually they may send you a couple. when I broke the decapping pin they sent an envelope with 6-7 in it.
 Call is toll free and no charge for postage.
froggy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 07:31
i will do that thanks guys, i dont feel like they should have to pay for my screw up, if they do they do fine.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:05
Just use some from another die you might have. Just make sure you hold the rifle straight up untill ready to fire so your bullet and powder dose not pour out into your rifle action. J/K

Call rcbs they will take care of you. they know me by name I have called them so much.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:13
i think it may have been time for a change any way, ive had some issues with that die since the day i bought it. i loaded up a batch of ammo one time for my 22-250, and wasnt smart enough to check to make sure it would chamber up in my rifle. i got to the range and loaded the first round in the chamber and the bolt wouldnt close all the way. i knew that cases were within oal so they didnt need trimmed. i wasnt sure what the problem was, so i had to pull all the bullets and dump the powder back into the can. so i turned the stem in a couple more turns and resized the cases again. loaded the cases back up and they worked fine. so i never did any more investigation on the problem. well a couple of months ago i wanted to try some lighter bullets, so i sized 50 cases and got my loads together and went to the range about a month ago and the damn things wouldnt fit again. i thought well im not going to deprime that whole batch again. i took the pin out of the stem and left the expander ball alone to do the work, the shoulders for some reason werent being set back far enough. so i ran them through again without the pin in and they fit again, but for some reason it bent the stem. im not sure what to think there.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:16
Maybe the decapping stem out to far and not letting the case seat all the way into the die? that would ge my vote

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:17
so maybe your thinking that the die should be set down lower in the press and the stem needs to be turned up?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:41
That would be my guess, but not seeing it its hard to say. I had that problem with a 30-06 once apon a time.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 08:43
i just hope its not a rifle issue. i dont think it is.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:03
well i just got off the phone with bill at rcbs, he said he would take care of me. another reason why rcbs will always be my choice of dies, i told they guy exactly what was going on and he said no charge on the parts.

rcbs rules for cs!Thunbs Up
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 12:59
 Pyro if you had told him about the other problem with the die he probably would of had you send it in for repair or replacement.
 The only other place I have found to be as good as RCBS is here. SWFA rates right up there with the very best of them.
froggy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 13:18
Lee has a good reputation for correcting problems with their products as well. I haven't had to use them but know several who have called and Lee sends either a new die right out along with a few extra "goodies" or the parts to fix it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 13:29
I have used Hornady, Lee, and RCBS customer service and every one of them sent me replacement parts free of charge no questions asked.  Every time it was my fault and I admitted and offered to pay for the parts but they sent them free anyway.  It is great to have that many companies willing to go the extra mile.

Pyro, I had a similar issue with an AR.  I needed to push the should back a little bit was all.  Pushed them back like .002 and they chambered up just fine.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 13:58
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

Pyro if you had told him about the other problem with the die he probably would of had you send it in for repair or replacement.
 The only other place I have found to be as good as RCBS is here. SWFA rates right up there with the very best of them.

i told him the whole story, he said that my resizing die wasnt far enough into the press, i was always taught that you run the handle all the way to the top turn your die in till it hits the shell holder and then back it off 1/2 a turn. according to rcbs the die MUST touch the shell holder in resizing operations. i will try that when i get the new parts.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
okc4956 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okc4956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 21:25
You might want to invest in a chamber gauge. Sinclair probably has one for the .22-250. If they will fit in the gauge they will chamber in your gun. Saves pulling all those bullets.

I always run my sizer down till it touches the ram and then about 1/4 turn more so you feel the ram "cam" over at the top. Seems to work for me. The only time I don't do that is with a carbide sizer for straight walled pistol cases. Then it just needs to touch at the top of the stroke.

RCBS is the best bar none tho. I've bent a few decapping rods too. Mostly happens depriming crimped-in primers. RCBS has replaced them without a question.... Dillon is the same way on their stuff too tho.  They are the only ones I've found that compare.

No BS warranty's are a good thing.

rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 05:20
  I f you break a Lyman be prepared to spend $10-12 to replace.
 With my RCBS I also bought the decapping dies and then pulled the pins out of my resizing dies, adds a step but saves on frustration when you have a hundred or more to load and no pins left to decap.
froggy
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 14:49
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

i told him the whole story, he said that my resizing die wasnt far enough into the press, i was always taught that you run the handle all the way to the top turn your die in till it hits the shell holder and then back it off 1/2 a turn. according to rcbs the die MUST touch the shell holder in resizing operations. i will try that when i get the new parts.
I've always run the die down until is hit the shellholder when the ram was raised all the way to the top and then turn it down a 1/4 turn more in order to full length resize.
I don't understand how bending  the decapping rod by was done by not having the die screwed down far enough... unless the decapping rod was screwed down too far. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 14:57
thats the only thing i can think of as well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 15:53
Glad they took care of you Pyro, but it brings up another question.  How far down should the depriming pin be turned down.  I've always set is so it just pops the primer a little before the end of the stroke.  Should it be down further?  Can't think of a good reason why.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic