OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CMP Firearms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMP Firearms
    Posted: March/06/2010 at 19:08
I have been curious about the CMP program and possibly trying to get a Garand through them.  Has anyone actually went through them to get one?  I would be more inclinded to get just an action or bare minimal and build it the way I want with a nice stock and match barrel.  Like this-
RM1WRARLW M1 Garand, WRA Rack Grade- Less Wood - This option does not include stock, handguards, stock and handguard metal or rear sight assy.
Please allow 60 days for delivery
*See below for grade description

$495

Would it just be cheaper to get a new nice one?  It will cost me $25.00 to join the club that will allow me to purchase one from the CMP but I just don't know what to expect from it.  Its seems to be a legit way to get a garand for a deal.  FYI I have no experience with one so it be new territory for me.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 19:36
By the time you build it, you will have spent way, way more than just buying a complete model. And there are so many out there that are correct grade, that you'd never get your money back if you had to sell it. Also, while some guys used to post on the CMP forum that they'd scored a rack grade that could shoot, most of them don't. A service grade is the way to go for $595. And take your pick between the SA or HRA. That only means the action will have been made by one or the other. Any other parts, including the barrel, op rod, and bolt may have been made by another manufacturer.

Mine, for example, is a late-production SA with an HRA bolt and a barrel made two years earlier. Although they don't have to honor any requests, I specifically asked for a "shooter" not a collector's rifle and it is. I love having a mix-master. To me, it is a prime example the genius of John Garand, who not only invented the rifle but many of the industrial processes to manufacture it. Although differences in headspace mean a particular bolt may not work, by and large these rifles are a triumph of interchangeable parts, solid operation, great sights, and decent accuracy.

Some more reasons to consider buying one of the service grades. You will want to have some money left over to acquire some spare parts to keep it operational for many years to come. The one part I considered essential to have for some day down the road is a spare, never used gas cylinder. Barrels can be replaced (although I have a spare already too) and op-rods retipped. But the gas cylinder cannot be reconditioned. Also, laying in (not hogging) a decent supply of mil-surp .30-06 and 24-48 clips because regular .30-06 is too hot and will damage the op-rod.
Reaction time is a factor...
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 20:55
As Jono put it- go ahead and buy the rifle ready to go. Right now, the CMP even has a few Winchester receivered rifles at a bargain. The rack grade you mention usually has a pretty worn bore. Go with service grade or better.
Beware- once you get bitten, you won't stop at one.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 10:01
10 years ago i bought 2 of them .a collector grade ih  and a springfield  with out wood . i bought a complete stock and put on it. it worked fine but i can not remeber if it was graded.a friend of mine used to work at anniston grading them.you can volunteer to help them .the process is simpler now i understand,but it was a headache back then.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2010 at 18:46
A guy in Birmingham, Al just put up a '40's manufacture Springfield Armory Garand for $600. I would like to have it, but got too many things going now. If you'd like his #, and email, contact me, I'll pass the info along. Says he's had it 30 years.

Never mind, it's gone.

Edited by HuntMaster - March/12/2010 at 21:35
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic