OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon Accupoint. Which one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrinko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon Accupoint. Which one?
    Posted: March/06/2010 at 17:47
I know it's a very subjective question but I'm new to buying scopes and all I've owned is a Millett trs which is a tactical style scope. I like that style but I'm not sure which I should get for my 6.8spc ar-15. A 2.5-10x56mm or the more tactical 5-20x50mm. I know the 5-20 is alot of scope for an ar-15. I've never owned anything but the millett so one of my questions is how do you focus the 2.5-10x56?? I know the 5-20x50mm has a side focus knob just like the millett. I know it's a very beginner question but that's why I need some help.

Also I can get either one at dealer cost from a friend so to jump up to the 5-20x50mm would just be about $170. Is it worth it or is the 2.5x10x56mm plenty of scope to get out to 500 to 600yds. Thanks
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 18:07
Welcome, Astrinko!

For an AR, I would go exactly the opposite direction and get the 1-4X24 Accupoint so that you have a very fast aiming system on 1X, constant eye relief, and more than enough magnification at 4X for most AR shooting up to mid range distances. 

But, it's not the best choice for 500- 600 yards.  I would prefer the 2.5-10X56 over the 5-20X50 for AR use, but actually, I would probably just get the 3-9X40.  The 2.5-10X56 is bigger and bulkier than I would prefer on an AR.  To me, AR's are bulky enough without having a giant optic mounted on top.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
astrinko View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrinko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 18:12
I see what you mean. It is more of a long range setup though with a 20" bull barrel. I have a eotech 512 with 3x magnifer setup on my .223 ar15 and wanted a long range setup for my 6.8spc ar. I kinda like the big scope look too. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 18:24
Any reason why you are limiting your selection to just the Accupoint scopes?  I like the Accupoints a lot, but why limit yourself to just them?  To me, 5X is too much magnification on the low end for an AR.  Even though you intend to use yours for moderately long range shooting, part of the fun of AR's is the fast close quarters shooting that they are ideal for.  Therefore, I would get a scope with no more than 3X, maybe 4X on the low end, so you still have reasonably wide field of view at the lowest magnification.  If illumination isn't an essential feature, I would look hard at the SS 3-9X42...

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

Between the 2.5-10X56 and 5-20X50 Accupoints, I'd get the 2.5-10X56.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
astrinko View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrinko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 18:35
I can get accupoints at dealer cost. Like I said I have a 16" mid range ar with eotech on it and this one has a 20" heavy barrel so not going to be a quick gun anyway. Really appreciate the comments! :)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 18:57
of the two I would say the 2.5-10, IMO
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
astrinko View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrinko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 20:00
How do you focus the 2.5-10 if it doesn't have side focus or a focus ring at the end of the scope? Sorry for the stupid question but I've only owned one scope and it had side focus.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 22:58
Side focus and/or adjustable objective is there on high magnification scopes to eliminate parallax -- the effects of the image and reticle not being on the same focal plane, causing an apparent reticle shift when you move your head position behind the scope.  On most scopes below about 12X, side focus isn't really needed.  As magnification increases, so do the effects of parallax and image focus becomes more critical because your depth of field decreases.  Scopes intended for centerfire rifles that don't have side focus or A/O are typically parallax adjusted for 100 yds/ 100 meters, so that parallax isn't an issue at typical shot distances where these scopes are used.  The amount of parallax present does not cause a large impact shift until you get to extreme distances (or extremely short range), and is minimized when your head/eye alignment behind the scope is consistent.  Side focus or A/O is beneficial on a precision long range scope, but isn't necessary on a typical hunting scope.  It is usually absent on most scopes with a top end magnification of 12X and less.

Edited by RifleDude - March/06/2010 at 23:02
Ted

astrinko View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrinko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 08:24
Hanks Ted!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic