OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How good is this scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How good is this scope?
    Posted: March/05/2010 at 17:36
The  "new Military Crusader Scope" by Counter Sniper? The catalog says it cost the government $2,998.00 and they are selling this  3x25x56mm for $689.97. It is a 30mm tube with"Bertrillium-Zantitium multi-coated optics, left side focus, friction lock,...may be U.S. governement property marked". Mil-Dot, 3 color variable intensity illuminated reticle.

Edited by Kickboxer - March/07/2010 at 08:19
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 17:37
can you say scandal??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 17:38
RUN FOREST RUN
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 18:12
Its good enough for a paperweight, but thats the extent of it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 18:53
That would be the same Government that pays $400 for a hammer and $2500 for a toilet seat, correct?

Honestly man, can't help ya, never looked through one. They may be great, but I'd find a place to go and look through one before I bought one.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 19:27
Countersnipers are a small step above painting a toilet paper roll black and mounting it on your rifle - but only marginally better.

They are not government over-runs, I have yet to see one in military service or talk with any units who run them or know anyone who does.

Countersnipers are essential gear for mall ninjas; otherwise, thre are MUCH better optics for a better price.

Call and ask them about their coatings, bertillium zantanium or something.  When I did, they hung up on me.

Countersniper is a joke in the tactical community.

Buyer beware.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 20:53

skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 21:00
LOL- Thanks for the laugh Mr. Coolaid and clear to the point opinion.
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like there is no difference of opinions on this scope.
I really like my SS10x42HD but find I need more power for over 800 yards. Maybe it is just my eyes but that is what I have found. Interestingly, I have a pair of
Pentax 10x42 DCF SP and I thought they were really great binocs until I looked through a friends Kahles. There was a big difference between these 2 binocs but there was not a big difference between the ss HD and the Kahles. I was able to see the 50BMG holes at 250 yards with both but not with the Pentax.

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 11:07
For 800 yard shots, I'd look for something that maxes out around 15-17.  And, be advised, lesser glass with more magnification is NOT the answer.  Good glass trumps magnification every time.

On what weapon will this be mounted?
How often do you shoot 800 yards?
What is your budget?

I see many, many shooters set up 1000-yard guns and shoot 800 or 1000 yards once a year and 100-200 yards every few months.  If it is a dedicated long-range shooter, set it up as such; if it ain't, set it up for what you do shoot,and be able to punch longer shots.

Let me know details of shooting and weapon and I can help.  Also, where are you?  Mirage becomes a big issue at longer ranges in the heat.  In those cases, everyone is shooting 10X, or those that aren't are missing. Allot.
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 01:48
I am shooting a Barrett 99 with 32" bull barrel and currently a SS 10x42HD scope. Just using Hornady factory A-Max at this time. Here in Arizona there is a lot of open space and we do get way back (scary back) off the road. There are many places to shoot well beyond 1000 yards. Most of the year in Northern AZ heat is not an issue.
I will be saving for a NF 5.5x22x56 but there are other expenses that have to come first right now.
I might add that I have had some unusual experiences in the "out back" of AZ with disturbed individuals and once a biker group. Had I not been armed my wife and I would not be here today. I know these experiences were extremely rare and very unlikely to ever happen again but they have effected my desire not to be a victim and so having a long range rifle when we go off road is a comfort. When I say off road i mean places where the trail is very overgrown and clear that no one has been on it for months. We have a Hummer that is set up for these off road trips but at my age I am not as blindly adventurous as I once was. But I am driven by a passion to explore this beautiful country. Hopefully I will not be (almost) attacked again by a pack of 5 ferral dogs, an armed psycho( who lucky for me did not have a rifle) or some drugged out bikers. Being on TV for preventing a bank robbery has nothing to do with my out door adventures but it is a reminder that this is a interesting world. So is being almost attacked with sharpened screw drivers by 3 guys who were trying to steal/break into my car and some neighbors cars.
I consider myself living on borrowed time. Please forgive my getting carried away here off subject.
This Barrett will be a dedicated long range rifle that will be carried with a Socom 16 which I find is fine to out to 500 yards.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 09:07
Originally posted by skeeeter skeeeter wrote:

I am shooting a Barrett 99 with 32" bull barrel and currently a SS 10x42HD scope. Just using Hornady factory A-Max at this time. Here in Arizona there is a lot of open space and we do get way back (scary back) off the road. There are many places to shoot well beyond 1000 yards. Most of the year in Northern AZ heat is not an issue.
I will be saving for a NF 5.5x22x56 but there are other expenses that have to come first right now.
I might add that I have had some unusual experiences in the "out back" of AZ with disturbed individuals and once a biker group. Had I not been armed my wife and I would not be here today. I know these experiences were extremely rare and very unlikely to ever happen again but they have effected my desire not to be a victim and so having a long range rifle when we go off road is a comfort. When I say off road i mean places where the trail is very overgrown and clear that no one has been on it for months. We have a Hummer that is set up for these off road trips but at my age I am not as blindly adventurous as I once was. But I am driven by a passion to explore this beautiful country. Hopefully I will not be (almost) attacked again by a pack of 5 ferral dogs, an armed psycho( who lucky for me did not have a rifle) or some drugged out bikers. Being on TV for preventing a bank robbery has nothing to do with my out door adventures but it is a reminder that this is a interesting world. So is being almost attacked with sharpened screw drivers by 3 guys who were trying to steal/break into my car and some neighbors cars.
I consider myself living on borrowed time. Please forgive my getting carried away here off subject.
This Barrett will be a dedicated long range rifle that will be carried with a Socom 16 which I find is fine to out to 500 yards.

I know what you mean, man.  I was once on the way to dinner with my family, walking down a poorly lighted street in the center of town, when a couple of the "denizens" jumped out from a parking garage.  One had a knife, the other had a sharpened sai.  In these situations, only the quick reaction resulting from years of intense training prevents disaster.  I left them both seeping from new orifices and we continued on after leaving an anonymous call to the police from a payphone inside the parking garage.  My wife and daughters are all students of the martial disciplines, so if any more had jumped out, my back was covered...
It is gratifying to take these "creatures" to the curb, so to speak...

I'll move this thread to Almost Anything Goes...

Edited by Kickboxer - March/07/2010 at 09:09
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 11:40
Bow  Again, MASTER is most wise!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 13:01
Wow, did that ever take a wrong turn!

And to think, it all started out with someone wanting a Countersniper: what are the odds?
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 14:19

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 17:47
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 18:21
I think that with the general thoughts about these scopes it may be best that the opinons voiced be included at minimum in the "almost anything goes" section.....it might get ugly
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 20:25

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P502.aspx I agree that the Nightforce would be the right choice but if you want more than 10x you might just want to pick up a 20x Super Sniper and put both your scopes in LaRue mounts so you can quick detach one to go to the other.  The correct scope for that rifle will be an expensive scope and first choice would be a Zeiss Heinsoldt  http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Tactical-Hensoldt-Telescopic-Sights-C1950.aspx

Its a sure bet that even the 20x SS will smoke the countersniper pos.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/07/2010 at 20:26

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 11:56
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P502.aspx

Its a sure bet that even the 20x SS will smoke the countersniper pos.

It's a sure bet that any scope the SWFA sells will smoke a countersniper.
I guess they can justifie their prices because of all the full page ad's they run in the various gun rag's.  Wink

Never heard anybody say anything nice about a countersniper.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 14:40
Originally posted by skeeeter skeeeter wrote:

The  "new Military Crusader Scope" by Counter Sniper? The catalog says it cost the government $2,998.00 and they are selling this  3x25x56mm for $689.97. It is a 30mm tube with"Bertrillium-Zantitium multi-coated optics, left side focus, friction lock,...may be U.S. governement property marked". Mil-Dot, 3 color variable intensity illuminated reticle.

You gotta be kidding! 

Type in counter sniper on the search and you will see a lot of posts, none good, about counter sniper...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2010 at 21:22
I am a low level government flunky.

I can say that when I was an even lower supply flunky, I would putz around the GSA (General Services Administration) & DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) web pages (authorized access code necessary).

The following have a National Stock Numbers assigned, which means they can officially be purchased by any branch of supply, and they are 'in the system.'

Tasco
Simmons
and yes even BSAWhacko

Just because the government will let some unknowing supply guy buy it, after his/her even more unknowing commander sign off on it, this does not mean it is condoned for the use by soldiers, but it can be purchased!

When I input 'sniper system' it pulled up M21 (w/Leupold telescopic sighting system).   Never saw a Crusader listed.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic