OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

dumb question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dumb question
    Posted: September/13/2005 at 14:12

My ignorance might just make some of you laugh, so just try and bear with me...

I'm not at all familiar with scout setups on rifles.  A scout scope seems to generally have eye relief of about 9".  Would it be possible to mount a pistol scope to a rifle and have it function well as a scout?

Also, what exactly are the benefits/drawbacks to a scout setup?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 16:13

Yes.  There are a couple of problems though:

1) some pistol scopes have eye relief that is too long.

2) most pistol scopes have parallax set for 50 yards, whereas for a rifle you want it 100 or 150 yards.

With that in mind, most 2x pistol scopes out there have very flexible eye relief and not a whole lot of parallax problems.  I have a couple of scout setups at the moment and I use a Swift 2x20 pistol scope on one and Leupold 2.5x26 scout scope on the other.

Ilya

ThudThumper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 17:31

Wow, thanks.  I was actually considering that exact scope--the swift--to mount on a rifle.  I don't feel so dumb anymore.

BTW, what is eye relief to shoot for on one of these setups?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 17:46

That depends on the rifle. Typically 8"-11" is the norm for scout setups.

If you are considering scout setups both Leupold and Burris scout scopes are quite good.

If you want something cheaper, then a 2x pistol scope might do the job.  I've used both Swift 2x20 and Bushnell Trophy 2x32 and they are pretty nice for the money.  I'd go with a Bushnell Trophy due to a larger exit pupil which allows more flexible eye positioning.

I would not recommend going with anything beyond 3x magnification.  You'd be surprised how well you can hit stuff with a 2x or 2.5x scope.  I used to have a Bushnell Trophy 2x32 on a Mosin-Nagant scout and it worked very well out to 300 yards on 8" steel plates (until the rifle blew up destrying the scope in the process, so if you have a Mosin-Nagant stay away from Sellior & Belot softpoint ammo).  I've also tried some cheap Chinese scopes, like NcStar, and they were pretty crappy, so stay with Swift or Bushnell if you can.

Ilya

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 19:01
Ideally a scout scope should mount with the ocular just over the forward ring of the receiver. Pistol scopes work fine- but not variables. The Leo 4x works as good as the 2.5. 8" plates at 200 yards are no problem off hand. Parallex is not a problem because the scope is so far forward the eye almost automatically centers the scope and cross hair, which is why they are so fast, (parallex in both cases is at a min.). Stick with burris, nikon or leo. The mounts in theory should be quick release so the iron sights can be used. A good peep rear and optical fiber front. (Where the new Ruger scout rifle fails bad). Exit pupil is extremely high on all models 20mm/2X or around 10 because of the high magnification. It is possible to shoot charcoal briquets out of the air as they are thrown up with a good scout. (as well as a good 22 ,shotguns don't count). finish off with a good Chi sling or Safari Chi from Galco leather. As koshkin put it, it will suprise you how fast without sacrificing accuracy these set ups can be.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2005 at 20:52
Thanks, guys.  This helps a LOT.  Now I'm itching to make a good scout, I just need a reason!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2005 at 00:08
When looking at scout rifles we tend to mostly concentrate on various bolt guns (Jeff Cooper's original suggestion) or on M1A scout squad avery nice, although a bit heavy interpretation of the idea (although the aforementioned Jeff Cooper is not it's biggest fan).  XS sights offers a scout scope mount for Marlin lever guns.  A Marlin 1895 in 45-70 will weigh (depending on the exact model) around 7 lbs without the scope and ~8lbs with a scout scope mounted.  45-70 allows for a great variety of loads from plinking to grizzly hunting.  The whole rifle is short and very fast handling.  Total lenght is right around 40" which is perfect for a scout setup.  It is not a long range number, certainly, but that is fine for a scout.  XS sights also makes a great ghost ring rear sight for it.

Just another option.

Ilya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2005 at 14:09

I'm actually thinkin of running with a stevens rifle in .308.  I don't have a .308 of any kind at the moment, and i love the cartridge's ballistics.

Does swift make a scout scope?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2005 at 17:40

Is there a scout mounting base for a Stevens rifle?

Swift does not make a dedicated scout scope.  I tried both 2x20 and 4x32 pistol scopes from Swift and 2x20 is not a bad way to go.

Ilya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 00:29

Gotcha.

I have no idea if there is even a scout mounting base for stevens...I'll have to look into it.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 16:37

Here's a picture of my 336 with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout scope mounted with Leupold quick release rings on an XS Sight Systems no drill and tap scout mount and XS back up ghost ring sights.  The XS system combined with Leupold QRW rings are a very solid combo.

Excuse the west Texas red dirt and grime....."I uses my guns"

Edited by Chris
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 16:59

I that the model 1895 guide gun?  Nice setup.

I am guessing yours is an earlier version of the guide gun since it has a compensator.  I've fired one without compensator ports, and that thing really kicks (with Buffalo Bore ammo).

I've been thinking of gettin one (although I think I'll go with a 22" barrel, it is much quieter).  The decision I am trying to make is: do I get an M1A or, for the same money, a levergun and 1911.  I hate these choices.

Ilya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 17:10

...Pretty...

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 18:37
Originally posted by ThudThumper ThudThumper wrote:

I have no idea if there is even a scout mounting base for stevens...I'll have to look into it.

When checking, be sure to check on one for a savage.  They are the same gun, but manufacturers may not have the stevens listed, as it is a fairly new model.

Edited by ajlandis
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 18:47
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Is there a scout mounting base for a Stevens rifle?

Ilya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2005 at 18:58

That might work.

Savage used to make scout rifles a couple years ago.  I have heard somewhere that you can still order one through Savage's custom order or custom shop program.  It is probably reasonably costly though.

Ilya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2005 at 00:56
Lol, thanks Chris.  I'd have been looking for days before I ever found anything to fit the stevens...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic