OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help on selecting a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesdredmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on selecting a scope
    Posted: March/04/2010 at 09:58
I am trying to pick a scope for a new rifle I picked up.  I got a Marlin bolt action 30-06 for Christmas and I am looking for a good scope in the 200 to 300 dollar price range.  The 2 scopes I am looking at right now are a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X50 and a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40.  Most of my shots will be 200 yards or less but I do hunt in some heavy woods so light is an issue at times.  Also are there any other scopes that I should really be looking at?
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 10:28
I would get the 4200 Elite. For hunting in heavy cover you need a lower power, quick handling rig. The 3-9x40 will be bright enough on lower power settings in low light as long as you don't hunt after dark. I have several of these as well as many other scopes and recommend the 4200!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 11:16
Lighter and more compact is better in heavy cover...less to snag and drag. Also, as Sandracer mentioned, you'll tend to want to go to a lower power anyway which erases the need for a larger objective. In my experience, any scope with an objective over 28 mm will be fine when set at 4X or below. And it sucks to miss a shot because you couldn't get a sight picture fast enough. I leave my scopes on their lowest setting by default (2.5 and 3X).

Not everybody is comfortable doing this, but if your eyes and shooting ability allow it, a fixed 4X (e.g. Leupold, IOR or Zeiss Conquest) could be a nice fit. I hunted with one for a long time before wanting to take longer shots that called for a variable.
Reaction time is a factor...
JerseySlayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 12:12
Nikon Team Primos.. 3-9x40...
Best bang for the buck 199 with a free jacket from SWFA!!!!!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 12:24
Team Primos, or the 4200 you mentioned.. Both are excellent for the money invested.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 12:57
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 13:31
200-300 dollar price range
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 14:31
not sure the BDC reticle would be great in "Heavy Woods"!
take em!
jamesdredmon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesdredmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 14:35

Most of the hunting here is from a stand or blind so I am not worried about snagging with the larger scope.  I will keep my scope power set between 4 and 6 most of the time.  So I guess the question is whether the larger Monarch scope is worth 100 dollars over the Team Primos and the Bushnell is worth 40 bucks more than the team Primos.  I will get a free jacket with either the Bushnell or the Team Primos.

JerseySlayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 14:39
-I have 2 of the Primos'. Eye relief is better than the Bushnell.. And the Primos is virtually the same as the "new"monarch
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 16:08
vortex viper 3x9 may be worth a look as well. i have  a primos a 4200 and a viper they are all excellent scopes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 16:11

The firefly reticle on the bushnell may be good for the heavy cover and low light you mentioned.  Plus the rainguard feature.  That alone makes the elite a top pick in my book

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 19:09
Go with the ELITE they are great....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 06:29

+1 on the 4200 .. have Nikon and 4200 .. 4200 is the way to go by a nose ( Rainguard)

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 07:46
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope Multi-X Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 423944M
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$254.95  Thunbs Up
Add Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope to Cart
Best guess is that 4200 will go back up to $299 where it stays most of the time in only a couple of days so act swiftly if you want one at that price I missed the boat last time they went on sale.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic