OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VXIII or Redfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VXIII or Redfield
    Posted: March/03/2010 at 08:06
great site you guys have I look forward to being here! I need help with a decision on a scope for my new 700sps varmint 22-250(p-dogs, yotes, targets). I can get a used (lightly) VXIII 4.5-14x40 for $400 or should I try a new Redfield 4-12x40 for $200? or something else all together? I need to keep the price down because I gotta get enough reloading components to stock up for a prairie dog hunt in july.thanks for the thoughts!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 08:24
you could try a nikon buckmaster or a vortex diamondback.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:23
I have been trying to get info on the new redfield from them.  Dont' know what their Accu Range reticle is calibrated for.  Koskin did a write up about it and a few others and it was so so but he did notice a POI change in magnification so you may wanna look at something else.  There is a Vortex Crossfire on backorder that would be great for you but you may not wanna wait that long. 
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:28
which model viper are you refering to?

this 3200 might be worth taking a look at closer
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:32
I'm not sure about the price of the VXIII.... but I think it's a pretty nice scope.... quite a bit better than the Redfield!
take em!
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:38
Originally posted by 03mossy 03mossy wrote:

3200 might be worth taking a look at closer

Psst! How about a 4200? Give this one some thought! Wink

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:40

which model viper are you refering to?

this 3200 might be worth taking a look at closer

Crossfire

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope
  $99.95 

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

Stock # - CRFAO11MDT
Add to Wishlist
< id=ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl08_Quantity style="WIDTH: 30px" =. maxLength=5 size=2 value=1 name=ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl08$Quantity> More
Less
Specifications
Weight (oz): 23

Mil-Dot

Length (in): 15.3
Eye Relief (in): 3.3 - 3.1
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 16.5 - 4
Exit Pupil (mm): --
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Parallax Setting (yds): 10 - infinity
Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warranty
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:47
A POI shift in one test scope isn't indicative of that being a problem in EVERY scope of that make. The Redfield I tested didn't shift, and neither have several other scopes that friends have tested. And I have found POI shifts in many individual scopes retailing for $500 or less, even though most of the scopes didn't show any. The thing to do with any new scope is check it out ASAP and if there's a problem, contact the manufacturer. As a for instance, I have found POI shifts in both Sightron SII Big Skys and Bushnell 4200s within the past year, though that is hardly a constant problem with either brand.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 09:58
Thanks John, I didn't know if it was on all but knew from that review he noticed it so I mentioned it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 10:21
http://redfield.com/riflescopes/redfield-accu-range-cartridge-groups
I just got a response from Redfield about their accu-range reticle and figured I would share it. 
"Use the above chart to figre out what your shooting.  Put that in a Ballisitcis Calculator and figure that is going to be the "drop" for the reticle. Now plug in your intended load to the BC and see the difference.  You will very rarely find a round/load that is exact to the reticle.  And we do not have the information on the load that was used in development."

From what i got from that and trying that method, my 223 shooting a heavy 70+gr bullet would be the same at the 40gr they use out to 500 yrds where they are 1 MOA off.  I may go ahead and try the new Redfield and do an indepth review for the heck of it..

Hope this helps with the redfield info vs the vxiii
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 12:07
thanks for all the quick reply's! great site. I thought after the head scrathing for months on which rifle and caliber i was going to get the confusion would be over! guess not with all the scope models out there to choose from
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 12:55
Welcome to Optics Talk. These guys are great, and there is a vast collection of knowledge and experience here. I hope you enjoy our Forum.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 21:16
I went ahead and bought a Redfield 2x7x33 to try(on a rimfire)....well for the amount of money that it cost I can not really complain. So far it has held zero, it boxed exactly as it should. It's not a VX-III quality, but in all fairness for the money I feel that it is a GOOD BUY. As a matter of fact I am going to try the 4x12x40 on a 22 Hornet...........
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
03mossy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 16:37
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx
I've always believed that you get what you pay for when it comes to hunting gear, well with anything for that matter. I just find this scope in the "to good to be true" catagory. if it is really a quality scope i will be happy with why is it only $99. It is just so tempting at that price...
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:49
There is no comparison between the VX-III and Redfield. The VX-III is the far superior scope. 
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 22:55

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx
I've always believed that you get what you pay for when it comes to hunting gear, well with anything for that matter. I just find this scope in the "to good to be true" catagory. if it is really a quality scope i will be happy with why is it only $99. It is just so tempting at that price...
You get what you pay for.....you bought a good gun do yourself a favor and go for the best glass you can buy......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Dirtyoldsix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtyoldsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 03:34
I have a 4.5-14x40 Lr (30 mm) VXIII. Its got the fine duplex and side focus and I think its the best scope I have ever owned.
If you can see it you can hit it.
preacherman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 18:21
I don't  know about that. I have a .338 win mag and have heard nothing but good about the revenge scope.
I did the beer math and with a .338/225gr load of around 2850 the BDC works perfectly well With the
7 mag or 30-06 270 win family of ballistics out to 400 you are fine.

I plan to mount one on my  long range  338 Winchester mag match rifle for 1000 yd comp it does just as well as any other scope made by Leupold.
men with guns who are free are called "citizens" without weapons they are called "subjects and or slaves"
preacherman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote preacherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 19:41
By the way Leupold and Redfields are all tested with a 375 H&H level weapon. So no worry's about shooting loose. I just put a timney trigger in my comp long ranger  WHAT AN AWESOME TRIGGER and all I can say is WOW I recommend em wholeheartedly.  Yippee
men with guns who are free are called "citizens" without weapons they are called "subjects and or slaves"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 19:53
For prairie dogs I think the Super Sniper 20x or the 16x fixed power would be a good choice with the tactical knobs, but that is way to high of a power for called coyotes where you need to be at 6x or lower.
One of my friends just bought the redfield 4-12x40 and he is really happy with it.  I got a good look at it and think it is a lot of scope for the price.   Not sure if you are using an AR but even if not I would probably pay the extra to get the mount and then sell it for more.
Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67115
  • Matte
  • Accu-Range
  • 1"
  • Comes with Redfield ScopeSmith Scope Cover
$259.95 

Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit Redfield 4-12x40 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit
Stock # - RED67115KIT
  • Matte
  • Accu-Range
  • 1"
  • Comes with SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount & Redfield ScopeSmith Scope Cover
$269.95  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic