OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles multi zero vs leupolds cds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles multi zero vs leupolds cds
    Posted: March/02/2010 at 11:09
Ok so I thought I had it all figured out... Was gonna get a Leupold VX3 w/cds
Either in 3.5-10x40
Or 4.5-14x40.... Prolly the 3.5-10..
Then I saw the Kahles(online) not in person....
Looks like its @700 for 3-9x42....
At the top of my price range....
Opinions???
Should I just go with loupold... Prolly the nicest scope I would have so far and excellent cust service??
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 11:16
It depends.  What qualities are most important to you in a scope?  Do you prefer the extra magnification, lower price, and probably better customer service (should you ever need it) of the Leupold?  Or would you rather drop down in magnification a little in exchange for superior optics for more money?

The Kahles is nicer to look through, the Leupold is less expensive.  Either will get the job done for the rest of your life.

I have scopes from both series.  I enjoy using my Kahles scopes a little more, especially in low light, but I have some Leupolds that have earned my trust over the years too that have helped me put venison in the freezer.  Neither has ever let me down.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 11:19
Kahles Customer Service is still up in the air, Gamo took it over and it I dont' think we have heard of an experience with them yet,  Maybe Chris knows if any have gone back through Gamo yet and can chime in.
JerseySlayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 12:51
Any thoughts on the multi zero vs cds...or is it a wash?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 19:20
I have a couple of MultiZeros and can comment on those, but what is cds?  Is it the Boone & Crockett reticle?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 19:35

Bob,

The CDS is the Leupold Custom Dial System. Its a Custom Turret Set Up. You know, you give Leo all your caliber and ballistic info. They make you a specific turret for the scope, from 100 to say 800 yards depending if its a 1" or 30mm tube....The reticle it comes with is the basic plex but others are avaiable Im sure.......
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 20:13
I am Basically looking at 530 for the leupold with my name on it
and 629 for the kahles>>>

Just the kahles looks a lot more intricate----you said you could comment on the multizero--PLEASE DO--
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 20:20
Why don't you PM Bob (sakomato) above and ask him directly. Myself I have a Kahles but not a MultiZero.
Like I said before if it were me Id buy the Kahles and never look back...........

Julio..........
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 20:21

Then some advantages of the MultiZero system would be

• You could move the scope to any rifle and reset the turrets and they would still work
  • If you change the load (bullet, velocity etc) then you can reset the MultiZero to match the new ballistics
  • The MultiZero has a Zero stop so you can not get lost on the turret and not know where you are

That is in addition to the better glass (clarity, resolution, light gathering) of the Kahles.  As far as the warranty work, maybe that will matter to you.  I have a MultiZero on my 280AI and my 338RUM.  Neither has had a problem (knock on wood) and they have both been to the mountains in Colorado and been through a couple of hundred shots at the range.  Should I mention the 338RUM has very heavy recoil and would expose any internal problems the scope had in short order?

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 20:55
Originally posted by JerseySlayer JerseySlayer wrote:

I am Basically looking at 530 for the leupold with my name on it
and 629 for the kahles>>>

Just the kahles looks a lot more intricate----you said you could comment on the multizero--PLEASE DO--

The MultiZero is not that difficult and when you think about it, the mainstay of the whole system is the scope's ability to track exactly and return.  If it could not do that everytime then the scope's claim to fame would be nil and void.  Do a search and see how others feel about the Leupold tracking, the reports are not all good.

Anyway the MZ works like this:

The top turret has 3 modes on the top where you can set the pointer, A, B & C

Set the pointer to mode A and use the scope as any other to zero at your desired distance.  Mine are zeroed at 200 yards.  Once you are zeroed then hold the turret and move the pointer to mode B with the red tool supplied (here the pointer is shown on mode C but you get the idea)

When the pointer is on mode B, rotate the turret counterclockwise until it stops.  This will set your zero stop.   Then use a tool (either the red plastic one supplied or a forceps) to rotate to mode C

Now you can rotate the turret clockwise to raise your point of impact at longer ranges and always return to your zero. 

Now you can set your marks.  You do not need to set a mark at 200 since you can always return to that point.  Shoot at 300 yards and set the first mark (the aluminum ring moves independently from the turret).  Here the turret is shown at the zero stop and the zero distance of 200 yards

You can move the marks with the tool

or with any pointed object.  At the range now I just take the point of a ball point pen and move it if needed.

Here is a pic of my mark for 400 yards

My marks are set for 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards but they could be set for extended distance like 400, 600, 800 and 1000 yards because you can interpolate between the lines for whatever distance you want. 

Like 330 yards

or 550 yards

It is really a fine instrument and should sell for twice as much as it does.  The only reason it is so cheap is because of the distributor problem they are experiencing.

IMO they are twice the scope the Leupold is and if you have a problem it may take some time to get it fixed, but the scope is worth it.

BTW, the turret comes with a cap that you can keep on for transport

Edited by sakomato - March/02/2010 at 21:00
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 21:00
Thank You BOB!!!!!  that was the kind of stuff I am looking for--  Very Informative-- Thanks for the effort
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 21:52

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 22:30
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 05:49
I have three 2-7x36 Kahles MZs.  I like the way they work, but haven't tried the Leupold.  The Kahles just takes time to set up, but you can move the scope from one rifle to another and not have to worry about the custom dial and ballistics of a particular round.  You just need to take a trip to the range and set your points when you change rifles.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 06:11
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 06:13
Ok...what's with the pictures??   I am a noob.....
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 07:37
Ed likes to post the first picture that comes into his mind (and it's a strange mind Wink) so he posted the telescope things to say he thinks these scopes are too much.  I countered with a pic of a Rolex to say I think they are like fine watches.  8shots thinks they are complicated and possibly confusing.

It's like and autistic thing that Ed enjoys so we play along Laugh(you don't want to get him upset!)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 07:40
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Ed likes to post the first picture that comes into his mind (and it's a strange mind Wink) so he posted the telescope things to say he thinks these scopes are too much.  I countered with a pic of a Rolex to say I think they are like fine watches.  8shots thinks they are complicated and possibly confusing.

It's like and autistic thing that Ed enjoys so we play along Laugh(you don't want to get him upset!)

If you do your thread here will turn into a pile of pictures that only ed can inturpret.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerseySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 07:44
Bob... Thanks again man... I agree that they might be complicated.. And am kinda leaning towards the Leuppold..because it is more simple...
Iwas looking at the 2.5-8x36... But thought the CDS or multi zero would help take advantage of my 270...and I don't really want AO...1 more thing to mess with... Pics are funny now that I get the joke :-)
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 08:42
sakamato-
I'd say you are a skilled interpreter of arcane pics... how well do you dope the wind?
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic