OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Bow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Bow
    Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:13
This is my new bow. Its a maxxis 31. this is a little note I did on another thread for a string maker. Wicked1. Its not much but I do have another bow i'm going to try to do a better write up on. I shoot victory 350's at 26 inch with a 100gr tip at 270fps. Its not a speed bow but dose well out to as far as I can shoot.

I got my wicked1 astroFlight strings in for my maxxis31. We put them on and it took very little to tune. I put 125 shots on the string so they would settle. I had 25 arrows. I would shot them all then a buddy would shot them all until it was time to tune.  I went back into the shop and it took half a twist to make this bow tune there was NO peep rotation at all. The Wicked1 strings are great. My speed went up 4fps the bow seem more quiet than it did with factory strings. The servings are super tight and uniform. There is no comparison to and of the factory or after market string that was in the shop I was in quality of the Wicked1strings. I'm 100 happy with them. If you’re looking for a new set give Wicked1 a try I promise you will be happy I’ll have another set or 2 really soon for another bow I have and my sons bow.. Here is a few random pic’s.

Here is a few random pic's

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:18
Ok i was gonna ask you in the other thread then you made this one, would I be better off to get a new bow with the new technology or keep my 8-10 year old one If i were to get back into archery?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:20
It depends on how well the other bow was taken care of. I would replace the string on the other one first off as they stretch and might come apart at the wrong time. I hunted with an old bow up untill this year and got the bug for a new one. so far I have right at $1400 in this bow but its right and I don't have to worrie about it.

scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:22

BigD, where'd you get that itsy bitsy deer?  Were you baiting at the local zoo again? 

Edited by scooter65 - March/01/2010 at 08:23
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:23
I took it to a store that deals with archery back at the begining of the season this year and they said the string was fine and didnt' need replacing but I still don't feel comfortable with it being it is so old.  Then with all you just said about a new string and tuning it I was like HUH?  If i restring it whats does it entail to get it right after the string?
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:25

That deer came from south Ga. it was my first deer with antlers. I told my self then i wouldn't mount another until I shot one bigger. I now have 2 mounted both close to the same size. the euro mount on the work bench is the one i'm doing the wood work for in the other thread. I shoot him this year and wanted a euro so I did one.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:26
Nice bow BD.  Replace the string at least every two to three years.  If you shoot "league" replace it every year.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:26
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I took it to a store that deals with archery back at the begining of the season this year and they said the string was fine and didnt' need replacing but I still don't feel comfortable with it being it is so old.  Then with all you just said about a new string and tuning it I was like HUH?  If i restring it whats does it entail to get it right after the string?

What kind of bow is it?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:28
NOt sure I will get some pictures when i head back home When i shot for the Hunters Safety team in high school i used it alot and since then i don't think i have shot it over 10 times.  
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:31
It's a nice mount.  I did the same years ago, said I wouldn't mount another until I got one bigger.  UMM, I havn't mounted another.......................
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:34
I have a goat skull that I found over on an island in the intercoastal waterway I always wanted to euro mount but the horns are all messed up like termites or something got it.  Thought about sealing them up with plaster of some sort but never got around to it.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:35
The deer was mounted 18 years ago. I didn't mount another one until 2 years ago and then the euro one this year.

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:37
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

The deer was mounted 18 years ago. I didn't mount another one until 2 years ago and then the euro one this year.

My last mount  (oh this will get butchered when bud reads that) was 1986.... sniffle......
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:38
I was 11 then and just starting to hunt

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:38
Nice setup, Brandon!  I wish you lived closer to me, as I'd love to get back into 3d competition again!  I haven't shot any of the newest Hoyts.  The last series of Hoyts I shot were about 4 years ago.  I have 3 Hoyts from the latter '90's -- 2 AlphaTecs and an Aspen.  They still shoot pretty good, but they are noisy compared to today's bows with more parallel limbs, improved cams and improved limb construction technology.  My current hunting bow is a Mathews Drenalin (2007 model).

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:38
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

My last mount  (oh this will get butchered when bud reads that) was 1986.... sniffle......

This will help, at that time............. I WAS FREAKIN" 2 YEARS OLD!!!!!!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:41
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Nice setup, Brandon!  I wish you lived closer to me, as I'd love to get back into 3d competition again!  I haven't shot any of the newest Hoyts.  The last series of Hoyts I shot were about 4 years ago.  I have 3 Hoyts from the latter '90's -- 2 AlphaTecs and an Aspen.  They still shoot pretty good, but they are noisy compared to today's bows with more parallel limbs, improved cams and improved limb construction technology.  My current hunting bow is a Mathews Drenalin (2007 model).

yeah things have changed alot in the last 2 years with hoyt. the maxxis are beyond parallel limbs and shoot totally different than the parallel limbs did. the draw is smoother and now with the draw walls it makes it alot more shooter frendly. I shot one 3D so far this year. i did pretty good i finished first in the begginers class.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:42
You actually shot a deer when you were 2 years old, SVT?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:43
no no, when scooter had his last deer mount i was 2  he said 1986
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:44

... and now with the draw walls it makes it alot more shooter frendly.

Yeah, most of the top end bows these days have great back walls.  It allows you to maintain back tension and "pull through" the shot release.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic