OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New to Nice Optics and BMG's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Nice Optics and BMG's
    Posted: March/01/2010 at 00:30
Hello all, I have been drowning in the sea of scopes and lacking any real first hand knowlege about nicer scopes I hope to come here and learn and figure out what I need from people who know.

My recent interest in better quality optics is because I am getting in to BMG shooting and will have a rifle soon that will need a scope. The dilemma is price, as always.

I don't have any current plans to go and do competitions I just want a decent scope that will work, and I plan to shoot at ranges out to 1000yards, and so I have spent the last month or so reading and learning about Parallax and its adjustment, FFP vs not, mil-dots, looking at a lot of different scopes.

1) From what I have read most recommend the fixed SWFA SS scopes or the Bushnell E3200 if you want variable power. I like the idea of variable power for a number of reasons, and so I have been leaning towards the Bushnell.
However, I know the E3200's are not FFP and thus the Mil-dots only really work at one magnification, what magnification is it on the 5-15's and 7-21's?

2) I have also seen the Millett LRS-1 6-25x56 - this scope has all the features I want at a price I can afford but, I have also read a number of issues with them, but a lot of those complaints are from 2008 when as I understand it they were in transition to Bushnell, have they cleaned up their problems or are these scopes still plagued with problems? If not what is the magnification for the mil-dot on these?

3) Additionally I came across the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44, I already have one of their 3-9's and it's a great scope for the money, Vortex claims the Viper's can take the BMG? but I haven't found anyone using one for that so far, I do like that Vortex stands behind their product and they seem to be well built, but I am still unsure and also these scopes don't have turrets, but I don't know how important turrets are? and what is the magnification for the mil-dots on this scope?

4) Lastly, if all else fails and I end up going with a fixed power scope, I feel like 10x might not be enough magnification, 16x seems ok, and 20 would be nice until it got dim or it was hot out.

So thank you for reading my novel, and for any advice you can impart.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 07:20
I wouldn't put a Elite 3200 on a 50..... Maybe the 6500 or 4200 but not the 3200.. Not saying it wouldn't hold up but it isn't rated for such.  
The SS is rated for the 50, and has been proven on the 50.  I dont' know how soon or even for sure but at one time they were thinking of doing a higher variable and it would be a great option.  Maybe start with the 16 or 20x and when the new variable comes out if it does then switch to it.  That will get you fimilar with the gun and the scope line.

Now, if your gonna put the money into a 50, the ammo, and all else that you have to do to accurately shoot the 50, don't skimp out on the optics.  You will be kicking yourself in the arse if you try to go cheap instead of going smart.  The SS line is probably the best bang for your buck in the optics world, and  will work.  Other than these I think that your probably looking at a higher priced scope to hold up.  PM Kickboxer and ask him about Elvira, and his optics set up.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:20
I would go with the SS 10x until you have mastered the art of shooting well enough to shoot effectively out to 1000 then see about upgrading if you thing the 10x isn't enough!  It will be plenty good for shooting up to 300 - 500.
take em!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 19:31
+1 on the 10x SS. Most everyone I know over scopes their rifles. Been there done that. And if you can afford it go with the 10x SS HD. You will see better with better glass and less magnification than with poor glass and higher magnification.
space_weazel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 00:20
Ok Ok.... Looks like the SS is the crowd favorite. The reason I'm concerned about power is I have an IOR 6x30 and that has some clean glass but things at about 200 yards are quite small, having not shot a 10x scope, or a 16x for that matter at a known range, I don't know what to expect, I don't want to spend $300 and wish I had gone higher......

How easy is it for you folks with 10x's to find the center of say a 2'x2' target at 500 yards? Is the bull about the size of a mil? bigger? Smaller?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 00:32
And one other question, Rings?
Looking at SWFA there are Badgers / Leupold in the $150 department
there are TPS rings in the $80 department
and SWFA rings in the $40 department

With the best bang for the buck also translate from SWFA's scopes to their rings?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 07:11

If it were mine i would have a SS10xHD and SS rings...... no other option unless they were out of the rings and I was in a hurry, then I would go with the burris xtreme.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 10:23
Originally posted by space_weazel space_weazel wrote:

Ok Ok.... Looks like the SS is the crowd favorite. The reason I'm concerned about power is I have an IOR 6x30 and that has some clean glass but things at about 200 yards are quite small, having not shot a 10x scope, or a 16x for that matter at a known range, I don't know what to expect, I don't want to spend $300 and wish I had gone higher......

How easy is it for you folks with 10x's to find the center of say a 2'x2' target at 500 yards? Is the bull about the size of a mil? bigger? Smaller?

A rough idea would be what the target looks like at 50yds with just your eye and no magnification would be similar to 500yds with a 10x. 

You might want to do a search on 50 BMG here to see what has been recommended in the past.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 22:28
Thanks for the guidence, I think I'll be going SS10x and some rings, TPS maybe? Is there a huge difference between going aluminum / alloy / alloy steel / stainless?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic