OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Mounting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Mounting
    Posted: February/28/2010 at 19:00
I'm new to handgun hunting with a scope and am having a problem mounting my scope. I'm hoping for some help from you handgunning experts.

I have a TC Contender in  7-30 Waters with a Weaver base and Leupold rings. I am trying to mount a Nikon Monarch 2.5-8x28 EER. The problem I am having is that I cannot get the eye relief to be the same at both the low and high settings. Is there some trick, is this just the way it is or is my scope defective?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
_popupControl();
DAKOTA02
Dakota02 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:48
Thanks for all the help!_popupControl();
DAKOTA02
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 10:58
Most variable power scope also have variable eye relief as you change the mag.  Some are worse than others, sounds like you got the worse end of it.  Maybe consider a fixed 4x scope.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2010 at 22:11
 Nature of the beast.
Not much you can do about it
 As far as I know, all variable magnification scopes do that  to some extent. I would plan on finding out which magification level works best for you and leave it set there.
Dakota02 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 17:02
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that that was the case. Nikon makes a pretty reliable product. It seems pretty consistent from 2.5 to 5 power. After that you have to move it back to get a full image.  All I have to do is sight it in. Not sure how much recoil the 7-30 Waters will have? Thanks again! _popupControl();
DAKOTA02
55spartan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2010 at 20:40
sounds defective
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2010 at 13:44
I think pistol scopes are more prone to eye relief changes than rifle scopes, because of the longer eye relief.  I've had pretty much all of them and it's most noticeable at higher powers; ER gets a lot shorter.  But, most pistol scopes aren't very usable at those powers anyway. so it doesn't bother me.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic