OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

weaver 1-3X20 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weaver 1-3X20 question
    Posted: February/28/2010 at 17:45
     Does anyone here have experience with the Weaver 1-3X20?  I am needing a scope to put on a No4 T Enfield that I have that is scopeless.  I am trying to maintain the proper look and magnification characteristcs.  I was looking for an old Weaver V4.5 with the post reticle but they generally go for more than these new ones.  Other sugestions would be welcome.  I like the Bushnell 4200 1.25-4X24 but I don't know if I want to go that high on a scope that may or may not stay on the rifle.  I have hopes of finding an orginal someday.

Thanks

Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2010 at 20:31
I have one on a "brush buster", nice little scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 08:39
I put the Weaver 1-3 on my grandson's Marlin 336 about three years ago. He is not kind to his equipment while hunting here in North Idaho, but the Weaver has never jarred out of zero, and I am very much pleased with the brightness and clarity of that little scope.
Terry Lamb
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 13:30
Well I might give it a try.  Just missed another auction.  I just have a hard time time paying $120 plus for an old scope off ebay.  I just wish the orginals were not so scare.  It would be nice if someone made a repo of the old No32 scopes.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 14:31
Originally posted by p230 p230 wrote:

I just wish the orginals were not so scare.  It would be nice if someone made a repo of the old No32 scopes.

I missed on two originals and i gave up. I ended up with a more expensive Leupold Ultralight 2.5x20, an awesome scope with 5" eye relief. The new 1-3x20 Weavers have only 3 inches of eye relief, insufficient for my use. 
The no. 32 originals had 4" ER. I would buy one or two if someone made a copy of them at $100. 
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 15:14
QUOTE]

I missed on two originals and i gave up. I ended up with a more expensive Leupold Ultralight 2.5x20, an awesome scope with 5" eye relief. The new 1-3x20 Weavers have only 3 inches of eye relief, insufficient for my use. 
The no. 32 originals had 4" ER. I would buy one or two if someone made a copy of them at $100. 
[/QUOTE]

Well at least I know I am not the only one on this trip.  I have looked at the Leupolds as well.  For a while I thought about tying to find a used FX-III and seeing if I could send it back to have target knobs put on just to make it a little more authentic.  Cost is a bit much to do that though.

I would pay more than $100 if they could make one on par with the 4200's quality.
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2010 at 21:53
I owned a Weaver 1-3x20 and sold it and I would not buy another one. For one thing the exit pupil was smaller than it should be. Why, I do not know but I know I want the full size exit pupil. It was not one of the better scopes to look through. I can highly recommend a Leupold vxll 1-4x20, a Nikon African 1-4x20 or a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x32 and they are all much better scopes in my opinion than the Weaver 1-3x20. I payed $300 for the Leupold, $250 for the African and $290 for the Grand Slam, all new from dealers. I love all three scopes. 
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 08:59
I you can find one, you can probably get one of the older Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5 X 20 for around $185 plus shipping. 
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by JimFromTN JimFromTN wrote:

I you can find one, you can probably get one of the older Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5 X 20 for around $185 plus shipping. 

Are the UCC's shotguns scopes?

I may look into the Nikon Monarch African.  Why are the 30mm Monarch Africans so much more expensive than the 1" version?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic