OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

tikka t3 rings question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxM0nEyMaKeRxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tikka t3 rings question
    Posted: February/27/2010 at 19:14
I think this is discussed in a similar thread, but I couldn't find a straight answer. I want to buy a scope that has a 42mm objective on it. So my question is, with the standard tikka rings will it fit? thanks guys. Edit: lol, if you couldn't tell I want to mount it on a tikka t3.
wshive View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wshive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 20:56
There's no way to know of sure because ring height isn't standardized and neither is the shape of a scope or the scope base for that matter.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have a problem with a 40mm objective on medium rings, but there are always exceptions, I'm sure. I'm assuming the tikka rings are medium height...

I use Burris Signature medium height rings and managed to mount my 50mm scope on my Marlin bolt gun but just barely. If you can get the dimensional specs of the scope you're looking out, you can find out for sure by comparing how much clearance you'll have from the tikka's barrel.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 21:35

Yes the rings that came with it are a medium ring and will work for a one inch tube 42mm objective scope.  If however you are shooting a heavy caliber like 300 WM or even a 30-06 i would suggest you buy Talley lightweight rings and discard the ones that came free.  On light calibers like .223 the free ones should hold up OK.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/27/2010 at 21:36

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
XxM0nEyMaKeRxX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XxM0nEyMaKeRxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 22:14
Thanks for the replies guys. Both posts helped me out. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic