OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

EOtech with magnifier or Trijicon ACOG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddevildog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EOtech with magnifier or Trijicon ACOG
    Posted: February/27/2010 at 17:39
Hello,
  My first post and I am looking for opinions or facts about the difference and which would be better for what I am looking for.

I have an AR15 and will be shooting at 100 yards most of the time, but I would also like to be set for the future. I am right now looking for tight groups.

I have looking at either an EOtech with 3x mag or Trijicon ACOG, I like the chevron.

Please post your pics, and input.

Thanks in advance,
DJ
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:24
The 3X magnifier never really gives a great site picture, and the reticle is 3X too, not just the image.

ACOG is the best bet, it does more things very well.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 19:09
Why not a 1-4X class scope with lit reticle instead?  You don't have the limitations and additional cost of having to add the magnifier, yet with the right reticle, you can still have the fast engagement of both eyes open, true 1X aiming, with greater head position flexibility.

1-4X24 Trijicon & 1-4X24 Vortex PST both have good reticles for your application, more flexibility, and will cost less than what you're looking at.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 19:24
I have to go with RD on this one.  For the tightest groups it would be better. 
maddevildog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddevildog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 20:38
Thanks guys, RD I will start looking at them.
maddevildog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddevildog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 20:58
by mounting one of these on my AR, i would loose my iron sights as well right? My AR has a removable carry handle
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 21:20
I use a 3x compact ACOG mounted in a La Rue  RCO mount but my rifle is set up for tactical team type use for law enforcement.  If I was looking for accuracy and fun shooting targets at various distances I would want a scope with tactical knobs and I particularly like the Super Sniper 3-9x42 FFP and I would mount it with a La Rue mount.  One of the things I really like about the 3x compact ACOG is that it is a very small very convenient scope and seems ideal for a collapsable stock short barrel rifle.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/27/2010 at 21:21

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hognutz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hognutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 00:04
really depends on what you want to do with the gun.  there is no univeral optic.  there are pluses and minus to each setup.

I have an aimpoint with a 3x mag.  If fast traget acquisition is what you want this setup rocks.  I have a larue pivot mount and my BUIS.  this setup start to get hard to do any fine shooting over 300 yards.  I mean 2moa dot at 300yarsf is ~6".  but if you put up 10 clays on a bank at 100-200 yards I can take them down and fast.  way faster than a scope or an acog for me. then pivot the mont away and I can take targets down fast at 0-50 yards.  really nice setup for 0-300 yards.

Now the ACOG's I like quite a bit as well.  good glass BDC retical I find them to be very accurate but they come at a price and you windage adjustment will never be as nice as easy target or tactical scope.  I can say I though they were a waste until I shot a couple of them but I like them alot.  not as flexible for long range shooting.  I would not mind having one in my stable.

Now I am personally not a huge fan of a scope scope on a .223 AR as I don't use mine for long range target work.  one thing to consider though is if you buy nice mounts like larue there return to zero is very good and you could run both otpics on the same rig.   back up sights are more of a pain with a conventional optic unless you run it on the carry handle. whick can be done.

if you just want to punch paper and shoot tight groups though I do better work with higher magnification myself though but I have a different rigs for that.
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 19:45
My Vote.  Similar to Urimaginaryfrnd mine is in a Larue mount and used for a dual role.
Inside of 100 I prefer the 2x20 to the 3x ones.  For me 2x is a nice compromise between an entry and a perimeter optic on my AR.
Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA472
  • Amber Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$909.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl10_Price_VS value=W0mZ6H3XHlUmbY2nWPN5H/GjsgnIlLYpYKYq916WbZaZQfM/LXzUDofVINDG+xVa = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl10$Price$VS>
Add to Wishlist< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl10_Add2Wishlist_VS value=rumd6RbJ1maDZDeGggSEVGOIs0GUQ3/BA+eh1tPCpseCgvXJzFGGt5yzyj0EAzQg = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl10$Add2Wishlist$VS>
Add Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope to Cart < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl05_ProductList_ctl10_Add2Cart_VS value=5P83CbEHFPZ+iR0xQNXf0lldS6XLJ2+dLJrQBRouSKeQgC3J6VjTq10l6xqopEoC = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl05$ProductList$ctl10$Add2Cart$VS>
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 19:47
 Sorry don't know what happened above and I cannot edit it.Say What
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 20:17
Seriously... what would a Trijicon ACOG do for you that the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X24 w/ triangle reticle wouldn't?  The Accupoint is just as fast on low power for "both eyes open" shooting, has more eye relief and more flexible head positioning, is smaller and lighter, has the option of higher magnification should you need it, and is quite a bit less expensive.  The only advantages I can see to the ACOG are that it is possibly more rugged and you have more reticle options.  However, if you were interested in a chevron or triangle, the Accupoint triangle post should fit the bill nicely.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic