OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Ed Show
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fine Double Shotguns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fine Double Shotguns
    Posted: February/27/2010 at 09:56
Well, I need to start hearing from all you fellers who know about fine shotguns because I don't know much about them...except that I sure do admire them. 

This gun store that I pester constantly has all kinds of stuff in there that makes me crazy ( that's why I shouldn't go in there anymore...).  

They have some LC Smiths and some AH Fox shotguns and a Browning Superposed and several Winchester 101s and all kinds of goodies.  Some of the prices are sky high, of course, for restored Parkers, etc., but some of these shotguns don't seem to be too terribly high-----they're just....umm.....' a lot of money'  Bucky     Laugh   [  like.....$ 800-900 ]    Shocked

[ ahem..]

I saw a refinished [ not restored ] AH Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge that was absolutely beautiful for the princely sum of $895............. Stare

Here is an Internet picture of a Fox Sterlingworth ......

PheasantSxSas.jpg image by fastcast

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 10:21
Ah come on Ed...loosen up the purse strings and grab a couple. Those classics are definitely neat. I'd also like to have a couple.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 10:27
" This is supposed to be helping me, right? "   

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 11:10
I have picked up the double gun bug in the last several years. I have a nice set of Pidgeon Grade 101's. One is a 26" 12 ga choked IMP/M. The other is a 27" 20 ga choked S/S. They make a beautiful pair of O/U's IMO.
My most recent score was DeHaan 28" 28 ga S/S. It handles like a wand and my averages on woodcock and grouse have improved with it.
I am going to get a Spanish double next, AyA or Ugartechea, more than likely.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 12:06
I'm so glad you saw this thread, Tahqua!!  I knew that you and your brother had neat shotguns and shot birds and things with them!!!  

I have always admired all of those fine guns, but I am not much of a shotgunner.  The neatest shotgun I ever had was a Model 12 Winchester.  But, I always liked doubles. The AyA always fit me the best when I threw them up to my shoulder in a gun store!! 

This AH Fox Sterlingworth that I held the other day was an older Philadelphia gun and had the barrels re-blued in a beautiful soft blue, the locks were polished white (no more case colors ), the wood was refinished and was gleaming golden brown, and the checkering had been re-cut, naturally, and someone had added a little extra checkering to the side--at the wrist---in a little shield shape, like all the more expensive guns have. It also has a ventilated pad added that has been there since, oh, probably World War II. The gun seemed to fit me pretty good but I could probably use another half an inch of length. 

The action was real tight. I thought an old gun like that would just fall open like a loaf of bread, but I had to really pull on it to break it open.  Do they tighten them up when they restore shotguns?  Anyway, it was totally gorgeous....just not original anymore, of course. But a genuine pre-1930 AH Fox shooter that looks really snazzy!!   Big Grin

I really liked it. The bores were shiny and bright. You need sunglasses to look down there!!   Cool   I don't know exactly what the chokes are....and I don't know if it is 2  3/4 or not, either.  Didn't they used to have 2  1/2 inch 12 gauges, too?  

That's why I need to talk to all you shotgun experts.....   

Edited by Ed Connelly - February/27/2010 at 19:20
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 12:39
Before 1930 the  Sterlingworths did come with both 2 5/8" and 2 3/4" so you have to be carefull there. A friend of mine has both Fox and LC Smith shotguns and they are indeed sweet handling guns.
What was the asking?
I have a very old Stevens S/S 12 ga that handles in a similar way to those other guns. Those makers sure had gun handling right.

Doug
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 12:58
They wanted $895 for that Fox.  They also have several more of them....all more money because they are not refinished, although a lot of them have pads....

They also have several LC Smiths.  I looked at one of them, too, ....in my IMAGINARY " price range "  Coffee

The LC Smith was an un-fooled-with Field Grade ( pad, of course.....at a funny pitch! ). I really liked it!!  It had quite a bit of case colors left, nice wood, checkering not too sharp anymore, barrels didn't have any crud on them, bright bores!!, and the action fell open when I pushed the lever ----plop!  I felt that my head was a little too high when I threw it to my shoulder but one could practice mounting the gun a little higher on your shoulder---or correct that pad and that pitch...

I opened it up and checked for numbers on the flats and saw 206XXX and a letter F ( for Field ).  Later, at home the Internet told me that 206000 was the year 1918.  American Flag

This gun was Mod and Full............30 inch.......the Fox was 28".  

Edited by Ed Connelly - March/14/2010 at 16:35
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 13:01

Oh, they wanted $875 for the LC Smith.....

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 13:46
( ahem...)  

This Gun Store also has a Browning Superposed.....1954......for $995.  

john-mccain.jpg John McCain image by bruinbirdman

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 16:00
" It's early yet.  We can't expect to have 59,000 hits on the first day, Stanley..."  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2010 at 07:00
Maybe someone will read this thread...............

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2010 at 20:50
Well Ed, you've had 70+ hits but, this is something of a special interest area. My Dad loved the Fox, LC Smith and Parkers. He had some beautiful pieces in his collection but, there always seemed to be someone willing to pay his price to take one home. I was 15 when he sold the shop and I was able to handle and clean up some amazing shotguns up until then. I had to function check most of them and then clean them for display. I'm not sure if your interest is in collecting or shooting but, I can share what I remember. The S.Fox were always very tight very well built light shotguns and I don't remember any that didn't knock my teeth loose when fired. I loved the beauty and feel of the Fox but, I dreaded shootin the things. The LC Smith was slightly heavier in weight and often didn't have as much decoration as the Fox. And I recall some of them weren't as tight as the fox, probably due to more field use. They were still on the heavy recoil side but I was between 12 and 15 when he let me start workin with him. And I should mention that he still delt with collecting after the shop was gone. Now the Parker was a great all round collector shotgun. A good vareity of aesthetics and stout build made them one of his and my favorites. Anything from a field grade to the one off gold inlaid master pieces. Most of the ones he had were fairly tight to almost perfect condition and a pleasure to shoot. The only thing that I recall being a common issue with the Parker was the firing pins were soft and would wear down over time. Not a big deal to correct. Infact making firing pins was one of the first things he taught me to do. Many of the Parker were worn to some extent, I think due to when many of them were made and reguardless of the level of aesthetics saw much more field use than the others. So all three are great collectors but for actual use the Parker is my preferred choice. One other you might look at for a useable collector is the Lefever. When ever he aquired one of them I usually wound up with it. Still one of my favorite doubles. In fact since you've started this thread it has sparked a new interest in looking at some of these great shotguns. Good Luck in your search.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2010 at 13:05
I like fine shotguns, but my wallet don't, at least not yet.  Need to get a good over/under.  How hard are they to change POI?  I like my shotguns to shoot at least 60/40 as I like to "float" the target.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 13:26
There are some good aftermarket pitch adjustment kits out there these days. It's far less expensive than a stock or trying to adjust the stock its self. There not that many options available yet but, I think it should catch on once their better known. Its basically a black plastic wedge that fits between the stock and receiver to change the throw of the stock. I don't have a link to offer just yet but, I'll see what I can find. Bennelli offers it for their semi's and I heard rumores of others but, haven's seen any yet.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 18:18

I was looking at a Kassnar ( the importer..) Windsor II double today.  Nice.  This photo is of a Windsor I.  They are made in Spain by I-don't-know-who.    

Churchill Windsor I by Kassnar Side-by-Side Shotgun

12 Gauge, 25 inch bbls., Lt full and Imp Mod ( I believe ). Extra nice.   Checkered butt. No buttplate.  I liked it.   Bucky      Like New.     $795.     I wonder who made it.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 20:03
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 05:51

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 05:58
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 06:08
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2010 at 16:54
" I guess we'll just have to wait for that cute little Pony Express rider!!! "   

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic