OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone here own or shot Nosler's Custom Rifles?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone here own or shot Nosler's Custom Rifles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone here own or shot Nosler's Custom Rifles?
    Posted: February/26/2010 at 19:09
Just curious. I know Nosler has a legendary reputation for bullets ect ect.

But I really had no idea they made rifles as well. They are right pricey to but not as pricey as some of the others like Kenny Jarrett.

Any knowldge on the Nosler custom 48 rifle?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 02:00
It's a nice rifle... but look at the action closely...  besides the cool integral scope mount bases on certain versions and a few cosmetic touches, notice more than a passing similarity to the Howa 1500 action?
Whistling
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 10:06
On another site, a guy owns a Nosler 48 and some Howas and said that the bolts were interchangable. Hummm....
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 14:29
The Nosler guys were here in Westminster , MD at last month's NRA show..They took a little  offense when I mentioned the resemblence to a Howa/Vanguard action, but admitted it was the "basis" for their action. They make them in the U.S. VS Japan. Sure are good looking pieces , but it's tough to cough up the asking price these days !!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 16:06
thats a pretty high dollar howa then
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 16:40
If it is a full custom action on the 48, then it is the deal of the century. Custom action, PacNor barrel, custom stock (rumored to be made for them by NULA), Timney trigger, machined aluminum trigger guard assembly, Cerakoted and Micro-slick barreled action coatings with an accuracy garrantee for $2500 is quite the deal these days.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 17:18
okay....... at the risk of looking stupid.... Does it matter or not if the action is a Howa if it's a great rifle and is ultra accurate?   what ever "ultra" accurate is.  
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 17:38
Probably not as it still sounds like a good deal. For the same money, however, you can get a Borden "Basic Rifle" that has a Borden custom Timberline/Alpine SS action, Hart barrel, McMillan stock and Jewell trigger only no accuracy garrantee. Anyone who knows Jim Borden knows that the likelyhood of a rifle leaving his shop that is not a tackdriver is very rare. Me, I'd go Borden and never look back for a second.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 17:40
The only problem with Borden's work is it takes forever to get it.

...oops, did I say that out loud?!!!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 17:51
I haven't spent near that much on any rifle I own, but have sunk enough money into complete rifle packages that I feel I have a lot of shooting to do under adverse wind and weather conditions before I will reach the limitations of the equipment. It seems to me that should be the yardstick used to justify these kinds of purchases.
Reaction time is a factor...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:04
RifleDude, great things come to those (willing) to wait. Not saying the Nosler isn't a great deal, but a Borden it ain't.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:06
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

okay....... at the risk of looking stupid.... Does it matter or not if the action is a Howa if it's a great rifle and is ultra accurate?   what ever "ultra" accurate is.  

No, It doesn't.  That was just a general observation.  Nothing wrong with the Howa action; it's actually a pretty good action.  I just thought it a bit humorous that such a fairly expensive, semi-custom rifle is at its heart a Howa.  I really do think the Nosler 48 is fairly priced considering all the components and features that goes into it, though.  It has a nice stock, a good barrel, a good trigger, it's nicely finished, and it shoots well.  I think that makes it a reasonably good deal for the price tag.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:09
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

RifleDude, great things come to those (willing) to wait. Not saying the Nosler isn't a great deal, but a Borden it ain't.

This is true, but its helpful when the wait is the length of time he says it's going to be... or at least reasonably close to it.  I have no beef with his work, though; it's all good.

Edited by RifleDude - February/28/2010 at 07:52
Ted

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:24
The real question is do you really get a rifle that is that much more accurate than a Tikka or Sako A7 or a R5 mil spec Remmington?  I'm pretty impressed with the R5 guns.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:35
No, you don't.

And, in the case of the 5R guns, maybe not AS accurate.  But, accuracy doesn't necessarily correlate with price, and the price of the Nosler 48 is based on the fact it is a limited production semi-custom rifle with some nice features.  The other rifles you mentioned are produced in much larger volume, hence their lower prices.
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:36
You can make that argument with practically anything we buy as consumers.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:37
Correct.  It's economies of scale at work.  Production costs and overhead spread out over a greater number of units sold.
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2010 at 18:39
Kind of like comparing a Corvette to a 458 Italia.
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2010 at 15:41
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Kind of like comparing a Corvette to a 458 Italia.

Ummm I wouldn't quite go there. It depends on what Corvette.

The 458 Italia would absolutely smoke most stock Vettes.

As for the rifle I'm speaking of the Nosler Custom 48 TGR here.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2010 at 16:30
In that price range, I'd be looking hard at the Cooper 52 with the synthetic stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic