OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Euro Diamond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLO3D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Euro Diamond
    Posted: February/25/2010 at 23:37
I have been looking around and found a pair of the Burris Euro Diamonds in 12x50 for $450. It looks like a great deal, but I have not been able to find much online about them. They would only be used on a tripod for glassing mule deer. Does anyone have any experience with them? How would they compare to the Zen Ray 10x43 ED2, or Vortex Vipers in 15x50?
BinoBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinoBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 11:29
I own the EuroDiamond 8x42 and love them.  I've read rumors on the web that they are made by the same Japanese plant that makes the Vortex Razor and I can certainly believe that.  The build quality and ergonomics are excellent, as is the optical quality.  I bought a pair of the 12x50's but returned them and settled on the Minox 13x56 instead.  I got a demo pair of the Minox for about $450 and I think they are better than the EuroDiamonds.  They have a larger apparent field of view.  The Minox are normally in the $750 to $850 range new, so the EuroDiamonds at $450 might be a better deal.  I don't think you will be disappointed with either one.  I bought and returned a pair of Promaster 10x42 which are almost the same as the Zen Ray.  I thought the center optical quality was amazingly good for the price, but the focus was stiff and slow and field curvature caused an out of focus ring around the edge that I found really distracting.  So, I returned them.  I've never tried the Viper 15x50, but I think that the Minox 13x56, 15x58 and the Vortex Kaibob 15x56 are more highly rated.  
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2010 at 17:08
I'm not sure if they are going to be better than the vipers or zen rays, but they are top of the line burris bino's which tells me they should be pretty decent.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Black n Tan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black n Tan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 08:46
I own a pair of the 8x42 Burris Euro Diamonds a few years now. 
I would not buy my pair again, even for $450.
On an overcast day at 2 PM, they are very nice to look thru. I will say that much for them.

The problem is, or at least with my pair, is if the day is too bright, you have image problems. At dusk or dawn, I can almost see better without them. Hazy dark image, not enough detail. Not enough to count tines on a buck 3 or 500 yards away. I expected more from them.

The center focus wheel is also your collomation adjustment; it is very touchy to prevent headaches. It took me a very long time to get just right. The bummer is this focus wheel is also used to focus your binos for range you are looking at. It does lock, but is too easy to unlock. More than once I have had to start over. I have unlocked it by grabbing my binos hunting or in the truck. The binos dont seem to have a grreat deal of depth perception as well when focusing. Maybe I am too picky on optics, but it seems I spend more time focusing and messing with my pair than looking thru them. I did have Lasik done and I love it. I can see super. I treat them very good, I am not rough with them. And the barrels dont lock, which would be nice.

I am looking at the Z-Rays, I dont think they could be any worse for the money. Seems many like them here and other places.
Maybe I shouldnt say it, but I think you can spend your hard earned cash better. Definatley look thru them if possible outside. I think Burris has some QC issues some days.

COLO3D View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLO3D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 21:43
Thank you for the responses! I think I have decided to go with a pair of Minox 15x58 ED.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2010 at 23:15
Colo3d, what is your reasoning for selecting 15X58 binoculars? 

If these are for hunting use, you will be better served with 8X or 10X binos.  As you increase magnification, at a certain point you actually decrease your ability to see fine details because the effects of image shake increase and your field of view and depth of field also decreases as magnification goes up.  Most people find the maximum effective usable magnification in a handheld binocular to be around 10X.  Beyond that, and you really need the binocular to be mounted on a tripod to be truly usable.  With super high magnification binoculars, you will find it harder to locate your subject because your field of view will be narrow, you will have to refocus more because of the shallow depth of field, and you will have more difficulty steadying the binocular to get a good look at fine details.  In addition, the higher magnification will magnify all the optical imperfections of the binocular, especially chromatic aberration (color fringing), and your apparent image brightness will be lower because your exit pupil will be small.  In this case, EP will only be 3.8mm, which while usable, won't give you the low light performance of a binocular offering 5mm, which is what you get with an 8X42 or 10X50.  On top of all that, a 15X58 binocular will be very heavy and bulky, and not very convenient to carry around your neck for long periods of time.  In my opinion, if you want binoculars with higher magnification than 12X, you really need either a spotting scope, and/or you need to use a tripod to take advantage of the extra magnification.

More isn't necessarily better, and that certainly applies to binoculars.  I would advise that you get a good 8X42 or 10X42/50 and you will see every bit as much detail as you would with a 15X58, and have an easier to use, less eye position critical binocular with superior image quality, and more relaxing view as a bonus.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 10:52
I agree.  15 power bins REQUIRE a tripod.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 20:21
Especially those big Minox 15x58.  They are good, but huge.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

COLO3D View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLO3D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 00:03
As I stated in my original post, these will only be used on a tripod. I have a very nice pair of 8x30 Swarovskis that I use on a harness. These will strictly be used for long range glassing.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 11:08
That 15x58 Minox binocular is of medium quality and costs $600. For that price you can buy better optics in a spotting scope package and gain better image and a more portable instrument.  Just about any $600 spotting scope will be optically better than those binoculars for long range, tripod mounted, observation.  
Just because some hunters use 15x60 binoculars it does not mean that they are the best choice or the only good choice.

Edited by anweis - March/08/2010 at 11:11
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2010 at 11:17
Sorry, Colo3D, I missed the part about tripod only use in your original post.  Depending on what you are willing to spend, you might look at the Vortex 15X56 Kaibab.  They are outstanding binoculars, better than the Minox.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic