OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Side focus scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side focus scopes
    Posted: February/25/2010 at 19:35

I have kind of a dumb question. Does a side focus knob actually adjust the focus of the view in a scope or is it used to correct paralax? Thanks in advance for the replies. It's great to have a forum like this with members who so willingly share thier knowlege and expertise. I have already aquired more imformation from this sight than I will possibly ever actually need I think, but it's sure fun learning from you guys. Thanks again.

Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
scooterpilot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooterpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 19:48
Parallax Adjustment
There are two types of parallax adjustment. The first is an adjustable objective, in which the objective bell itself rotates to adjust parallax. The second is a rotating knob typically on the left side of the scope, opposite the windage knob.

The adjustable objective is optically simpler, meaning fewer lenses and more clarity and brightness, but the shooter must reach forward to the objective to adjust it. The rotating knob adjustment is more convenient since it's located closer, near the rest of the turrets, however, more lenses are involved which can reduce clarity and brightness.

The above is Quote from page six  of the below link

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/?p=6

Chuck
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 20:14
SF, in addition, the (SF) adjustments tend to be more corse and some, just out right fussy.  The AO on the other hand tends to have finer adjustments.

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 20:47
Out of all the scopes I own i have only one side focus scope. It has been good so far. It is a Nikon Buckmaster.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 21:52
The original  S.S. 10, 16, & 20x's, plus the 10x HD, all have a "focus" ring that is located on the rear of the scope, by the eyepiece. About where the power ring on a variable power scope would be. So that makes three different kinds of parallax adjustment.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
troweler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troweler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 22:00
Thanks for the imfo guys, thats what I was thinking but figured I should ask to be sure.
Atheism is a temporary condition. TRUTH, like gravity will not be altered by what we believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic