OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

700 SS 5R

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 700 SS 5R
    Posted: February/24/2010 at 08:25
LocoHi All.
 I'm thinking of getting the Rem.700 SS 5R in 223.
  There are some posts about the 5R in 308 but can't find any about the 223.Seems to me that everybody likes the 308.If any of you guys own one, please, give me your take on the 223.
 Thank you for your time.  
Andy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 08:34
If I were to buy a 5R, I'd also choose the 223. I'm more of a plinker/varminter and like the low cost of ammo and recoil. I would think that all the good things said about the 308 5R would transfer to the 223 5R?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 09:21
I wonder just how much better accuracy you would get out of the 5r 223 vs a SPS223 or even the savage 223? 
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 11:05
I do have the new Savage, just don't like the magazine, that's why I post all questions about Remingtons.
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 11:08

Gotcha bout the remmys I was just saying in general the 5r vs the standard remmy vs other accurate guns.

Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 11:25
I hear you,SVT, been shooting Savages the last 15 years or so and all of them were tack drivers.
 I can buy older 12BV for around 400 bucks but I figured I'll give remmy a shot.I might convert my new K model into a 22-250 and call it a day.I think remmy would be a better, all around field gun, from shooting woodchucks to"when the sh*t hits the fan".
 The 5R, as oppose to the SPS, has 1 in 9" twist, better stock.Those are the things I'm looking at right now.
Andy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 11:40
you guys buy all the savages you want, it leaves more room for ar's and remingtons.Laugh
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:05
I've owned a 5R (.308 though) and SPS Tactical (.223) and can say that both were very accurate.  The 5R had hit several times in the .3's at 100 and 200yds (MOA), while it averaged about .4 MOA with handloads that it liked.  The SPS Tactical averages .543MOA at 100yds with the handload it likes best.

If I had to bet on which shot better I'd say 5R, but are you good enough to tell the difference?  Is your wallet?

Also, both Remmys were bedded in McMillan stocks with trigger jobs before those groups were shot, never shot the rifles as they came from the factory.

Hope this helps.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:21
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you guys buy all the savages you want, it leaves more room for ar's and remingtons.Laugh

Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:51
I shot the 5R 308's.  Pretty smooth ride and very accurate.

Picked up a Savage 12 FPRV recently, I think I paid for it ( inside joke withthe folks at SWFA)
but either way it's by far the most accurate firearm I've ever owned.
Out of the box with 77 grain loads it shoots in the 00.1xx range with frightening consistancy off a bench.  You might look in that direction if you want accuracy and don't need a repeater rifle.
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 08:48
MikeMc
 single shot action will not work for me, I practice "sniping" by shooting woodchucks around here and, sometimes, quick,follow-up shots are needed. I just ordered the SS3x9 scope, have a Krieger(#8,SS bbl, 8" twist ,223) coming and have a 20+yrs. old M40A ADL stock. 5R will need a new trigger and is good to go.
 Now it comes to price,5R vs SPS, and what to do with left over parts( in case of the SPS).So off I go in search of cheap, very cheap SPS, after all I just need the action, but right now the 5R makes more sense to me.
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 09:13

I am confused, you have a barrel coming for the 5R? whats the point in getting the 5R then?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 09:19
Ditto??
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 12:15
triplo?
take em!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 12:42
quattro?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 13:02
wth o??Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 06:18
SVT
 I have the barrel but no action to put it on, I don't own any Remingtons but I want one.

Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 06:28
So your putting the kreiger on a savage action and buying a 5R to leave alone right!
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 07:11
SVT
 No, I'm getting rid of the Savage.
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 07:14

So whats the barrel going on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic