OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Conquest or Team Primos?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquest or Team Primos?
    Posted: February/22/2010 at 15:56
I've narrowed my choices to a conquest or team primos in 3-9x40 for a savage 116 .270.Primary use would be for, but not limited to white tail deer hunting. I've done some searches for comparisons of the two but can't find much. Is it similar to the current monarch series? Low light is a concern. Are there other issues that would favor one of the other? It's hard to beat the price of the primos. Best I could find on the conquest is $400.
On a side note, how would these compare to the buckmaster?

Feel free to make any other recommendations or suggestions.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 16:05
they are both better than a buckmaster, the conquest is better optically, not by a ton mind you. have you considered the bushnell 4200 elite??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 16:27
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

they are both better than a buckmaster, the conquest is better optically, not by a ton mind you. have you considered the bushnell 4200 elite??
+1

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 16:35
+1 on the Bushy!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
mchef View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 20:37
I have, but don't see any advantages. Only negative to the bushnell would be warranty only to original owner.

Biggest issue I have going with conquest, is justifying the ~ $200 higher price. Any other opinions on this?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 21:28
I'll take the Conquest over the  Monarch and also the 4200 3x9.  I love the plex reticle in the Zeiss and I think the glass is better than the two in question.  The conquest also has very good eye relief.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 21:44
My conquest is a bit more clear than my team primos, but I've been really happy with the primos.  It's what I've got on my 270.

Edited by ckk1106 - February/22/2010 at 21:44
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 22:22

Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I'll take the Conquest over the  Monarch and also the 4200 3x9.  I love the plex reticle in the Zeiss and I think the glass is better than the two in question.  The conquest also has very good eye relief.
+10,000!
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 06:18
I have had a couple of Monarchs (basically a primos), several Conquests, and just got two 4200's w/firefly reticles. I like the Conquests the best but I think the 4200 is a better deal(especially considering the rainguard) . Just as bright and useful for deer hunting. I think the Conquest is a little clearer in low light but not any brighter and the Conquest has better eye relief.

The Monarch's are bright but a little grainey at dark and the plex reticles are thin and hard to see at last light !
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 08:02
Originally posted by mchef mchef wrote:

I have, but don't see any advantages. Only negative to the bushnell would be warranty only to original owner.

Biggest issue I have going with conquest, is justifying the ~ $200 higher price. Any other opinions on this?

im telling you for the money you wont get a better scope than the 4200, rainguard is worth it.the 4200 is recoil tested to .375H&H recoil levels, i know my 4200 held up just fine on my .375H&H just fine. if you dont want to spend the extra money on the conquest i would really consider the 4200
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 08:03
I have a Conquest 3-9X40 and a 4200 3-9X40 and I'd take the Conquest all the time every time.... no comparison for me!  I also have an older Buckmaster (before latest update) and it's not even a fair comparison.  I have not looked thru a Primos and wet weather hasn't been an issue where I hunt.  Not a fan of the BDC - too busy for my taste.

Only you can decide if the $200 extra is worth it - it is for me.
take em!
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 08:52
Yeah, I tend to agree, I have the Conquest, a couple of buckmasters and have had a 4200 and a Monarch in the past and to my eye there just isn't a close comparison, the Conquest any day.  I've not compared it to the Primos but besides, the optics there's the reticle and the constant eye relief on the Zeiss.  One thing to look at though is size, the Conquest is longer than a lot of 3x9's and may not "fit" well on your rifle.
mchef View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 08:58
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Just a few corrections and additional info.
1. Warranty on Bushnell elite is lifetime of scope, any owner.  Apparently it's only found in the manual for the scope. I had only looked under the warranty section of their website.

I don't anticipate much issue with rain. I am new to hunting, but do have a friend/mentor with 20+ years experience. Hunting would mostly be in the central NC area. I do not have easy access to any of the scopes in question and would be purchasing sight unseen.

Price wise we have:
Zeiss Conquest          $400
Bushnell Elite 4200    $300
Nikon Team Primos   $200

So, I'm still having trouble deciding as I have a tendency to over analyze. Conquest seems to be the winner so far, but I'm having trouble justifying the price vs that extra performance. Does the conquest perform that much better? I could say that a $200 price tag on missing an opportunity to take a shot would be very upsetting, but is that being realistic? Also where does the Nikon fit in?

Edited by cheaptrick - February/23/2010 at 10:38
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:07
you get the same deal here on the bushnell scope too.

oh and you might wanna read this too
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5473

Edited by pyro6999 - February/23/2010 at 09:09
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:17

I'm thinking you'd be happy with any of the three especially if it is your first setup, which sounds like it might be.  I will say though, once you get a view through the conquest you won't find much better until you spend much more, in my opinion.  Maybe the size/weight would concern some but I say just start with the Conquest and be done with it.  Rainguard is cool, but just buy yourself some butler creek lens covers...

Badger 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:24
if you can afford to spend the money buy the zeiss, if your on a tight budget buy the 4200, you wont notice much difference between them until last light, the thicker reticle of the zeiss is really nice then.

if zeiss would ever decide to put loutec ( zeiss version of rainguard) on the conquest i would pay $500 for their scope and not look back.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:48
I agree with Pyro across the board on that one.

Scopes can be hard to justify. I have had a lot from expensive to cheap and I can tell you it get's to where ..........a Conquest is not much worse than a Diavari, 4200 is not much worse than a Conquest, a Monarch is not much worse than a 4200, and so on and so on.......until you end up looking  through a Nikon Prostaff at dark and a Diavari .............then have to start your thinking all back over again !!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 10:39
I edited your post, my friend. Please don't plug other optics vendors here, as stated in the forum rules.

Welcome to Optics Talk. Glad your here.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 10:49
Don't get us wrong, the Primos is a very decent scope with a great price, but when compared to the 4200 and Conquest, its out classed.  In truth, if you like the nikon, the bdc and it fits your budget, go for it.  No shame in owning this scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Don't get us wrong, the Primos is a very decent scope with a great price, but when compared to the 4200 and Conquest, its out classed.  In truth, if you like the nikon, the bdc and it fits your budget, go for it.  No shame in owning this scope.

Good post! I concur.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic