OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 3200 Question / Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 3200 Question / Problem
    Posted: February/21/2010 at 17:41

Just got my 3200, 5 X 15 back from a family member and mounted it on a .22 in a high mount 2" above the bore.

At 25 yards, I run out of up adjustment and cannot get zeroed.  I'm a good 5-6" too low.  d and off a bench.Shooting bagge

Is this a scope problem, or is it just mounted too high above the bore and I've run out of adjustment? 

Thanks in advance!
Shootr
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 17:52
 The height over the bore is not a significant issue in itself as far as zeroing is concerned.
Your problem is one of axial alignment; the barrel of the rifle and the centerline of your scope mounting rings aren't pointing in the same general direction, (and by your description aren't even close.)

What kind of .22 is it and what rings and bases are you using?
shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 19:28
Thx Ronk.

Rifle is a Mossberg model 44US.  Rings are Millet.  Thought about those as the potential culprit but how would they affect the vertical alignment?  Horizontal I could see because of how they fasten to the rail, but once on the rail - height is height - no?

That said, what rings would you recommend?  I'd like to get something QD that doesn't break the bank, but could also go with Burris Zee rings or anything else.  Want to keep high in order to clear the rear peep.  Open to suggestions and thx again.
Shootr
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 18:20
 I usually suggest Burris Signature, (formerly Pos-a-lign), rings as the easiest fix for these problems.
 They come with a series of eccentric inserts which allow you to "point" the scope tube in whatever direction your rifle barrel is pointing. They are good rings in and of themselves, and the system is easy to figure out if you take the time to read and follow the instructions.
 The ones compatable with your Weaver bases are called the Signature ZEE Rings.

Edited to add: You probably know that the Burris rings arent really a QD type even though they fit Weaver bases. This is because the guy that designed them was on drugs or something. They require you to completely remove the cross bolt and SLIDE the rings lengthwise off the base to remove them. 
  Edited again to clarify: I'm sure it seems as though I just contradicted my own advice. The thing is-I like the Signature/Pos-a-lign system, but am not a fan of the ZEE mounting system for Weaver bases. In your case, I'd live with the ZEE system in order to utilize the Signature/Pos-a-lign system to get the scope looking toward where the barrel is aiming.
  Clear it up any?

Edited by RONK - February/22/2010 at 18:34
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 18:42
 Heck- I just remembered that I was going to try these out next time I ran into your situation. They look very promising, quality-wise and will be more QD than the Burris Signature Zee Rings. Why don't you try them out and get back to us?
I think they may be just the thing!

Edited by RONK - February/22/2010 at 18:42
shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 10:18
Okay - and thanks again.   Not sure I understand how these correct for being off but will look at the OEM site and figure it out.

WRT B-square, the ring height must be no less than .749 to clear the peep so I'll look into that too. 

Looked at QD Zees, Signature Zees and want to understand how they "adjust" for the misalignment.   I'll go with one or the other and report back. 

Interesting in that I've been dinking around with "gun repair lite" projects for years and never had a scope mount misalignment problem.  Eager to figure this out and get to the bottom of it.

Side note - tried to call Bushnell tech support to see what they might say or recommend.  Absolutely no luck getting through.  Probably spent more than an hour on hold over the course of maybe 1/2 dozen calls yesterday...

Anyway, thanks again. 
Shootr
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 10:21
Bushnell normally has a 10-15 minutes wait, for CS.  Its just the nature of the beast with them but they always seem to take care of things when i have needed them.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 18:34
Originally posted by shootr shootr wrote:

Okay - and thanks again.   Not sure I understand how these correct for being off but will look at the OEM site and figure it out. 

Looked at QD Zees, Signature Zees and want to understand how they "adjust" for the misalignment.   I'll go with one or the other and report back. 

Anyway, thanks again. 
 The standard Burris ZEE Rings and the QD Burris ZEE Rings DO NOT have the adjustment feature you need to solve your problem.
Only the SIGNATURE series of Burris Rings has the adjustable "insert" system, and you must specify SIGNATURE ZEE Rings if you want ones that will fit onto your Weaver bases, too. As I mentioned previously, the SIGNATURE ZEE Rings are not QD; they are awkward to remove. Burris needs to make the SIGNATURE 'insert" system available in the QD ZEE rings, but they don't yet, for some unfathomable reason.

The way it works is this:
 Both front and rear SIGNATURE rings are bored somewhat larger than the scope tube. A two-peice phenolic bushing snaps into each ring around the scope tube to make up the difference in size.
 These inserts come in sets, one bored dead center, one set .010" off center, another set bored .020" off center, etc. By choosing the correct insert set, (trial and error works fine, but geometry and math properly applied make it easy to get it right the first time,) and by rotating these inserts within the rings, keeping the thick sides of the inserts opposite one another- (in your case the thick side of the insert in your front ring will be above the scope tube, and the thick side of your rear ring will be below the scope tube, effectively pointing the scope downward to where your shots are currently landing.), You can control the direction and the degree of angle by which the scope angles out of alignment to the centerline of the rings, (which on your rifle is currently misaligned to the barrel),  getting it back in alignment to your rifle barrel.

Sorry about writing you the novel.

It probably sounds terribly confusing, but they supply good instructions, the ring inserts are clearly marked as sets, and it works great once you get the parts in hand and read the instructions. I've solved many mounting problems with them to total customer satisfaction.
 P.M. me if you have any trouble.

Edited by RONK - February/23/2010 at 18:43
shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 16:54
That's a great explanation and thanks again.  I'll be ordering them and will let you know how it works out.
Shootr
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:18
 Glad you were able to wade through it!

BTW, I mentioned that the inserts are bored in sets in increments of .005" off center.
 I may be mistaken about that; it might be 5 MOA increments; I don't remember which it is. 
Either way, the instructions explain the procedure... 

Good luck getting it all worked out.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 21:16
I think you were right in the .005 statement RONK.  Thunbs Up
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2010 at 22:47
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

I think you were right in the .005 statement RONK.  Thunbs Up

After further reflection, I think so too.
 Because, if it indicated MOA deviations, that would be accurate only with a specific ring spacing.
In fact , you should measure the actual ring spacing on your setup to help determine which set of inserts to use for moving the POI a given amount.
 Suppose you need to move your 100-yard POI (Point of Impact) 6 inches, and your rings happen to be 8 inches apart on your specific firearm.

The math  looks something like this:

(100 yards = 3,600 inches.) SO...
 3,600 Divided by 8 inches =450.  (8 inches being the ring spacing on the scope tube in this "example"). 
 Now...
 6 inches (Desired POI shift) /450=.013"

So, since we don't have a .013" insert, we simply use the .010" insert in one ring and the.005" insert in the other ring,which will total .015", yielding a little more movement of your POI than you need to get EXACTLY 6 inches of POI shift.
( BTW, 450 x .015 equals 6.75 inches, which  is pretty darn close to 6 inches!) A few clicks on the turret will do the rest...
 Pretty cool. eh?

You're welcome!  Cool

edited to move a decimal point to proper location.

Edited by RONK - February/28/2010 at 10:23
shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2010 at 12:57
Wow!!!  Very cool!Big GrinBanditoYippee
Shootr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic