OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sweet new 1911

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweet new 1911
    Posted: February/20/2010 at 12:11
Just got my Fusion Commander bobtail. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. I tried posting a pic, but the pic is too large and I can't figure out how to downsize it. Any suggestions?  Whacko
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2010 at 12:13
Insert Image is the answer, if you have that picture on photobucket copy the link and push that button and it will work
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 07:27
I don't have any pics hosted on photobucket or anywhere else. 
               Anomymous
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 07:54
Send some to me and i will post them for you.
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 11:52
BugsNbows 1911 Fusion Commander bobtail.

I'm classic shag nasty type.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 11:57
Copy the pic to my documents. Open documents and open the file in any edit manager (microsoft editor) Resize the pic and save. You can work with it until your Optics Talk image upload page accepts it. then you can futher adjust the size if needed  and post it.  I'm anxious to see it because I'm considering a new carry peice. Good luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 11:59
Bucky  I see AJ took care of it but, maybe you can do it in the future.

Thats very much what I'm lookin for. Let us know what you think of it after some range and carry time.

Edited by Sgt. D - February/21/2010 at 12:01
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 12:38
Thanks AJ. Will do Sarge. I'm waitin' on some 230 gr. FMJ's and it's off to the range.
               Anomymous
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 13:35
I use Paint... click on "Resize and skew" on resize... pick something smaller than 100%   easy as can be!
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2010 at 18:09
Pretty lady, Ric! Thunbs Up
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 10:06
Nice looking gun. 
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 19:59
Need some help with what to do. I have already decided to get compact 45 for C/C and was kinda holding out for a Colt. But I want to be spend wise and give a good look at my choices. I am in no big hurry and wanted to see what Ric thought of this one. Well, today a friend shows me a Springfield Commander for 550.00 and since I really like Springfield may end this wait early. The research I've done didn't reveal a lot on the Commander but, as expected very much praise on their compacts and similar pieces. So does anyone here have hands on with the Commander? My first 45 was a Colt Combat Commander and I liked it alot but have always wanted a carry sized 45 since.

1. The guy won't budge from 550.00. Am I wrong to see that is still a good buy? There are none on Gunbroker and the compact XD's (I don't like) are starting at 525.00.

2. Is there anyone here that can offer any reason that these two shouldn't be united?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 23:43
United? you mean priced equally? one is plastic that probably cost less to make. If you like the Springfield Commander go for it I think Taurus is making the frames for Springfield.  I have looked at the Taurus stainless government and it seems to have a lot of nice features for a value price.  If you are carrying wiht an inside the pants holster it is just as easy to carry a government as a commander however the alloy frame pistols are much lighter but the trade off is more recoil. Kimber seems to make some nice pistols.  The PRO CDP II with its stainless slide and alloy frame would be a good one for an inside the pants holster.   Milt Sparks makes a nice holster and I think Brow nells stocks them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 06:12
For $550, I'd jump on that.
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 07:44
That is a fair price for the 1911.

Be advised, it will have no "bells-n-whistles", so you might eventually spend more $$ on nite sites, a trigger job, etc,etc.

For the money, the Springfield is a great gun, no question.

**If you are not comfortable carrying locked-n-cocked (Condition 1), DO NOT buy a 1911.  And if you are not dedicated to putting in the time and money needed to be proficient with the gun, do not get a 1911.  It is, in my opinion, a fantastic platform, but not for those who want a simple gun.  I would guess more accidental discharges have taken place with 1911s than any other handgun, not due to the gun but due to the shooter not really understanding the gun.

For $550, I'd buy it.  The XD would be simpler and lighter to carry, but I'm a 1911 guy, simple and light is Air Force or Navy, go hard or go home!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 08:08
sounds like good advice RC!
take em!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:13
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

That is a fair price for the 1911.

Be advised, it will have no "bells-n-whistles", so you might eventually spend more $$ on nite sites, a trigger job, etc,etc.

For the money, the Springfield is a great gun, no question.

**If you are not comfortable carrying locked-n-cocked (Condition 1), DO NOT buy a 1911.  And if you are not dedicated to putting in the time and money needed to be proficient with the gun, do not get a 1911.  It is, in my opinion, a fantastic platform, but not for those who want a simple gun.  I would guess more accidental discharges have taken place with 1911s than any other handgun, not due to the gun but due to the shooter not really understanding the gun.

For $550, I'd buy it.  The XD would be simpler and lighter to carry, but I'm a 1911 guy, simple and light is Air Force or Navy, go hard or go home!

Thanks guy's. Yea, the XD being plastic is a turn off. The more I work on these light weight super pistols the less I like em. The ones with alumunim frames are alittle better but Like you said "go hard or go home" I want one made to out last me. And as for this Commander I didn't mention that it has night sights and an extended duck tail, so all I have to do is spend on cleaning up the action. I didn't take time to look but it also feels like there has been some trigger work.
After I told him I would buy it I felt I had jumped alittle soon since I hadn't conveyed the deal to you all. You have confirmed my instinct that it was a deal to move on. Thanks for being there and helping me invest in something I refuse to own Wink.

My comment, "Is there any reason these two shouldn't be united" was to ask if the Springfield and I were a suitable match. Dry humor, I know.

Edited to say: Ric I appologize for high-jackin your thread. I wasn't thinkin and I will try to be more thoughtful in the future.

Edited by Sgt. D - February/23/2010 at 09:15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:21
Check you fire!

This isn't a new gun?  "Someone" has worked on it?   If so, those are flags, it might be a steal, it might be someone's bad work and nightmare.

If it is not a box-stock, new Springfield, I'd take someone with you to look at it (someone who knows 1911s.)  It is a very robust gun, but sometimes poor smiths work on them and shouldn't -and do more harm than good.

If you don't know someone who knows 1911s and can go with, I can give a few pointers on things to look for.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 09:49
Point ON!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 10:42
1.  Take a pencil (sharpened or un-, no matter.)  With the gun cleared and the mag out, point it up, hammer back, drop the pencil down the barrel and pull the trigger.  The pencil should jump.  This tells you the firing pin will contact a primer.

2.  With the magazine out, shake the gun, check for rattles, slide-to-frame fit, and loose parts.  A little movement between slide and frame is fine, allot is not good for accuracy.

3.  With the slide fully in battery, push down on the chamber through the ejection port, it should not move.  If you can push down, you are effectively taking the gun out of battery and have a poor slide-to-barrel fit.

4.  Engage the thumb safety, with a full shooting grip, pull the trigger, should be no click.

5.  Safety off, not a full shooting grip (do not depress grip safety), pull trigger, should be no click.

6.  Safety off, full shooting grip, pull the trigger, should go click, pay attention to break, is it clean, does it creep, does it feel gritty.

7.  Fully disassemble the gun.  If you do not know how (or it has something tricky like a 2-piece guide rod, ask the gun guy to break it down.

8.  Look at the barrel first.  Check the locking lugs on top, there should be no severe wear and only light and even wear in the finish.  Check that the pin has little play, that the crown is in good shape, that the barrel is not really-really dirty, and that the chamber is not rusy or uneven or damaged. (A small flashlight on the bore will help, and it will make you look like you know what you are doing.)

9.  Inspect the frame, look for places a file may have been used or abused.  Check that the beaver-tail fits well and does not wobble side-to-side.  Look for wear or gouges along the frame rails.  Light wear in the finish is fine, deep wear indicates a problem.  Check that the slide stop moves freely, and that there is no obvious damage to the ejector, check that the disconnector moves freely, that the plunger tube is not loose, and that the pins on both ends move freely.

10.  Look at the slide, look along the rails for wear or gouges.  Look at the bolt face for wear or damage.  If you can, take a case or round and slide it under the extractor, it should hold in place.  Look at the underside of the slide, in the barrel hood, look for wear in the lugs.  Finish wear is fine.  Check bushing fit, make sure the sites don't move. 

11.  Reassemble the gun.

12.  Check that an unloaded magazine locks the slide.

13. Inspect the exterior, look for gaps where files were abused, problems with finish, pitting rust, etc.

Any problems or if the guy working there says you can't do that, I'd walk away, buy something new that is a known value.  Tinkering with a gun can void the warranty, and bad smith work always bites someone in the ass.

Let me know if you have questions and if that gets you on the way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic