OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scoping my .223

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scoping my .223
    Posted: September/06/2005 at 20:14

I just bought a fluted H&R ultra varmint in .223 and now I'm trying to decide on the glass.  I'm a poor college student, so I can't spend much.  (If i could I would have gone with a bolt-action savage).  I'd prefer to spend less than $150.

Anyway, I want a good quality scope with a lifetime warranty if possible.  BTW, I shoot groundhogs and foxes anywhere from 40 to 200 yards.  I have been looking at some of the lower-end bushnells, but right now I kinda like the look of the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50.

What do y'all suggest?

ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2005 at 20:35

Are most of your shots inside of 200 yards?  If so, then 6.5-20 is a boatload of magnification.  I would hate to try to get a crosshair on a loping fox at 40 yards with 6.5x.  If I recall correctly, the FOV on the Classic isn't the greatest either.  I had the exact model you are looking at, on a 700BDL in .22-250.  Couldn't group less than 3".  Checked base and rings.  No luck.  Swapped scopes and groups shrunk to around an inch.  Maybe it was just a bad apple, but I never bought another one.  I never checked on a warranty, just gave it away.  If you have to have that much power, then I can't make any personal reccomendations in that price range.  If you can do with 10x max, then I can reccomend the mueller line, and I have heard the sightron SI line is a deal.  Both have lifetime warranties, and can get you in under $150.

Justin

Edited by ajlandis
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2005 at 21:05
Originally posted by ThudThumper ThudThumper wrote:

I just bought a fluted H&R ultra varmint in .223 and now I'm trying to decide on the glass.  I'm a poor college student, so I can't spend much.  (If i could I would have gone with a bolt-action savage)

Just an after-thought:

If you could sell that rifle to one of your buddys, you can get into a Stevens 200 pretty cheap.  I've heard rumors that they have been on sale for as low as $199.  I've personally seen them in  the mid to low $2's.  Later on, when time and money permit, you can put a SSS trigger in it and change the stock.  You would have one damn good rifle for cheap.  You can also pick up new take-off heavy barrels for around $100.  Takes about 30 minutes to swap out.  You could even change calibers if you like.  BTW savage and stevens are the same actions, barrels, etc.  The stevens is the economy line with a bad trigger and cheap stock.  Again, just a thought.

Justin

ThudThumper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2005 at 23:51

thanks, I guess I hadn't really thought everything out yet.  Most of my shots will probably be within 200 yards, but i went with a .223 so that i could get out to about the 350 yd range if i needed to.  I'll definitely consider a lower power scope--just seemed like a good deal on the simmons.

A buddy of mine actually wants the H&R already, so I might look into the Stevens.  In fact, I'm about to start reading up on them right now.  Thanks for all the info--I'd never even heard of Stevens before!

460 S&W View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 460 S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2005 at 13:06
The Simmons is $100 at (competitor)..............
460 S&W View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 460 S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2005 at 13:08
 I have the Stevens 200 in 25-06 and 7mm-08. Also have the Handi Survivor in 223 and 204, both will shoot 1/2' groups at 100 yards.The Stevens are around 3/4" to 1"
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2005 at 17:41

Have you done any work to the handi's?  Most of the ones I've seen usually shot around 1 1/2" - 2".  I'd hang on to those two!

Justin

ThudThumper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThudThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2005 at 00:11

If I did buy a Stevens, where would I buy a bull barrel from?  Is it possible to order one with a bull barrel?  I've only seen the standard model on savage's website, and I haven't had any luck pricing any barrels b/c i havent found any yet...

460 S&W View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 460 S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2005 at 11:31
No work to those Handi's, and they are the Fluted Barrel Varmit models with the Choate stock.........not the Suvivor model, must have been half asleep when  I posted.
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2005 at 14:41

Many guys buy a heavy barrel rifle and put a custom barrel on it, chambered for a wildcat cartridge, and never even shoot the original barrel.  Some guys shoot them for a while, then buy another barrel in a different caliber.  You can buy take-offs on ebay, gunbroker, or at gun shows.  They would be listed as savage barrels.  They are the same actions, threads, ect.  They don't make a heavy barrel gun with the Stevens name on it.  Go to www.savageshooters.net and start a thread about your situation in the forum under Gun Tech.  Those boys live for savages, and know more than I ever will.  They are a big help.

Justin

huntsman53 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntsman53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2005 at 14:05

For what it's worth, I've got the NEF Survivor with a Bushnell Banner 6-24X40 on it and I'm getting 1/2 to 1/4 inches with Winchester Factory and Sellier&Belliot FMJ loads, respectively.  Decent glass, starts to fade at 22. Only 109.00 on sale at a competitor, normally 129.00 there.

Just need the time to do a bit of reloading.

Huntsman53
ajlandis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajlandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2005 at 23:57
If you call NEF, they would probably pay you good money to get that rifle back.  They could do some serious advertising with 1/4" groups.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic