OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SPS Varmint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPS Varmint
    Posted: February/19/2010 at 15:55
Hi All
 Right now I have the new Savage, K model, in 223 with Warne 0 MOA base and 16X SS but am thinking of getting the SPS Varmint in 223.I would like to know the twist rate and mag. length of the SPS.
 Thanks guys.
Andy
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:00
pulled this off the remington website. 
Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint

Overview:

“Why yes, that’s really five shots.” Tell your friends it’s genetics. Fact is, when it comes to precision, there’s no finer pedigree in the industry than Remington® varmint rifles. And with the introduction of our new Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint, staking claim to our legendary accuracy is a more attainable feat than ever.

The Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint is capable of punching tiny groups straight out of the box because it’s built on the Model 700™ action, the most solid, dependable and trusted in existence.

Its 26" heavy contour barrel is perfectly matched to its high-velocity caliber offerings, including the hot new 17 Remington Fireball. Plus, the ergonomically designed black synthetic stock has a vented beavertail fore-end for enhanced grip, reduced weight and better heat dissipation. And sharp predator eyes won’t spot the tough, non-reflective matte blued finish on the barrel and receiver. Other standard features include a hinged floorplate magazine, sling swivel studs, and a drilled and tapped receiver. The Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint is destined to leave a lasting impression on any varmint that crosses its line of sight.

Key Features:

• Newly designed SPS Varmint stock with vented beavertail fore-end
  • Sling swivel studs included
  • 26" heavy-contour barrel (0.820" muzzle O.D.)
  • Legendary Model 700™ action
  • Drilled and tapped for scope mounts

Rating:

Be the first to rate

Rate It!
< ="application/x-shockwave-flash" ="http://remington.com/FLVP.swf" id="previewswf" name="previewswf" ="#000000" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" scale="scale" menu="false" flashvars="video=/~/media/s/Videos/Model7001Mbps_Stream.ashx&show=false&pWidth=250&pHeight=190&autoPlay=false&autoRepeat=false&showControls=true&autoHideControls=true&autoHideTime=3&initialVolume=50&showLogo=false" height="214" width="250">
var so = new SWFObject("/FLVPlayer.swf", "previewswf", "250", "214", "7", "#000000"); so.addParam("allowFullScreen", "true"); so.addParam("scale", "scale"); so.addParam("menu", "false"); so.addParam("flashvars", "videoURL=/~/media/Files/Videos/Model7001Mbps_Stream.ashx&showImage=false&playerWidth=250&playerHeight=190&autoPlay=false&autoRepeat=false&showControls=true&autoHideControls=true&autoHideTime=3&initialVolume=50&showLogo=false"); so.write("flashcontent");
Compare
Full Specs
Action TypeBarrel LengthCaliberOverall LengthTwistOrder #
< id="_0_chkCompare-125" name="_0$chkCompare-125" ="">Bolt26"17 Remington Fireball 46 1/2"9"84213
< id="_0_chkCompare-126" name="_0$chkCompare-126" ="">Bolt26"17 Remington Fireball (LFT) 46 1/2"9"84225
< id="_0_chkCompare-127" name="_0$chkCompare-127" ="">Bolt26"204 Ruger 46 1/2"12"84214
< id="_0_chkCompare-128" name="_0$chkCompare-128" ="">Bolt26"22-250 Remington 46 1/2"14"84216
< id="_0_chkCompare-129" name="_0$chkCompare-129" ="">Bolt26"22-250 Remington (LFT) 46 1/2"14"84226
< id="_0_chkCompare-130" name="_0$chkCompare-130" ="">Bolt26"223 Remington 46 1/2"12"84215
< id="_0_chkCompare-131" name="_0$chkCompare-131" ="">Bolt26"223 Remington (LFT) 46 1/2"12"84227
< id="_0_chkCompare-132" name="_0$chkCompare-132" ="">Bolt26"243 Win 46 1/2"9 1/8"84217
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:05
Thanks supertool, now only the mag. quastion remains
Andy
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:17
What do you want to know about the mag?  They are trap door type mag that opens on teh bottom and they hold 5 rounds.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:17
You should just check out the remington site.  It has all that info right on it.  http://www.remington.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:19
Do you want to know the max length of the mag box for reloading or something?
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:22
yes, SVT, I need the lenght for max. CAOL
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:24
I have the sps tactical in 308, both short actions I will measure mine when i get home.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:25
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I have the sps tactical in 308, both short actions I will measure mine when i get home.
WTH nevermind that won't work sorry brains fried for the day!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/19/2010 at 16:25
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2010 at 16:59
The reason I need the mag. length is that I have a Krieger bbl. coming soon.
 My old Savage I had, had a mag. lenght about 2.4in. give or take a few.My old loads for it are about 2.370 with Hornady's 68gns. bullets.Now, my new Savage's mag.length is 2.5 or so and I want shoot the 75 A-Maxes.The 68 gn. bullet is 0.987in. long, that was great in the shorter mag. A 75 gn. AMax is 1.110in. long, way too long for the older mag's length but might be OK in the 2.5in. mag.Now, if the SPS's mag. is around 2.5in.or so, I'm good to go.If not,I'm gonna look for diff. action or use the Hornady's 75gn.BTHP bullets.
Andy
diggler1833 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggler1833 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2010 at 20:21
For Reference I've loaded the 75gr A-Max out to 2.310 C.O.L. and not hit the mag in my .223 Remmy.
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 06:32
Excellent
 Thanks, diggler, that's what I was looking for.
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 07:05
Rex, you could take your calipers with you to a store and ask if you could handle the SPS in 223 if they have it. Just take what you need and you can get first hand experience with it.  Also do Cheaptricks method of COAL. It works well and if you fo it right you can get the round in the mag well and then adjust the length with a small pick.
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 08:22
ExcellentSVT, I did the second best thing,went to Menards, got a 3/8" bolt the length I needed and used that as my gage.The guy gave me a funny look but no problems.I bet he would've wet himself if I tried to load a round(dummy or not) in his rifle.
 What is the Cheaptrick's way?
Andy
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 08:54
I'll look for the thread.  basically you fit a bullet into an empty case with a very light crimp to it.  load as long as you can and then run it into the chamber. that will put the bullet to its max lenght by catching the rifling and pushing the bullet back into the lightly crimped case to get your max COAL. then compare that to the mag and see if you will be hindered by the mag or the rifling.    The new 300 I just built has a mag length restriction and if I wanted to load to the max rifling overall length i would have to load one round at a time cause they are too long to fit in the mag well......get it?
Rex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2010 at 09:03
SVT
 For that I use the O.A.L. gauge made by Stoney Point, works real well. 
Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic